xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Missing Posts

Gotta vent about this -- me and Anwii both have the same issue right now and I think I narrowed it down.I have lost literally around 20 posts now (some of which took 15+ mins to post, as they were detailed -- and I ended up just putting in much shorter versions of them the second time). Pretty annoying.Anyways, I think the issue has to do with the QuickReply. I have noticed that if I use the full reply it *always* works, whereas with the QuickReply it sometimes does, sometimes does not. On one post QR failed so I tried it 3x, failed all 3 times. Tried normal reply, worked on the first try.Just wanted to share that with you all/get my frustration out on it, lol.

although i am sure the quick reply has it's problems too, the post not showing is not just due to the quick reply since i never use it :) people were already complaining about the quick reply a while back and although we were assured it was fixed, i never trusted it and always replied the standard way. so the 3 posts i made which i mentioned in another topic were from a standard reply.i am curious though now if this is limited to replies only or if anyone tried to start a new topic that didn't show in a non moderated area of the forum. it's something think about too just in case.

It's real weird. I haven't had any threads not show up yet.I did notice an issue earlier though when starting a thread -- it errored out on me saying the forums were out of memory (something about it being at 194 MB's of memory already -- it was an exact number like 194023913) and I ended up accidentally creating three threads because of it.I have a feeling that if the normal reply is having the same issues, then most of our problems are due to the error with forums being full of memory.

194?! Isn't that way too small! I guess the good thing is its pretty easy to solve by adding some more memory.

I thought it was pretty small too but maybe the forums are hosted on a server with like 256 MB of ram (since before, it didn't really have any issues -- why upgrade what wasn't broken?). If that's the case then I can understand the RAM problem.

Or it may be on a shared host as well (like a lot of our hosting packages are).

Either way, hopefully that knowledge helps the the admin in some way, and maybe it'll help solve some of the issues we've been having.

It has to be the RICH TEXT editor trying to Load Javascript on the fly. However, I have disabled the RICH TEXT editor. This must solve this issue.thank you.

HaAHaHa... Thank God! QUICK REPLY is gone forever. atleast, something good happened. I edited all forums and disabled quick reply in all.NEXT QUESTION: Should RICH TEXT EDITOR be enabled?

HaAHaHa... Thank God! QUICK REPLY is gone forever. atleast, something good happened. I edited all forums and disabled quick reply in all.
NEXT QUESTION: Should RICH TEXT EDITOR be enabled?

Really I don't see the use in it. I think normal text is fine, considering we still have formatting choices (bold, underline, sizes, alignment, etc.). So I really don't see the point in it to begin with.

I'd definitely say to keep it off if it's going to cause more complications.

About the missing posts, I'll let you know if I run into any more.

Nope, the normal text editor is not fine, sure YOU CAN edit and bold things and underline stuff, but what about the people who are not familiar with the html codes and things? What will people who just want to use Xisto to share opinions and they don't know all the html things. I'll actually liked the images in the rich text editor.. it showed it while you editing it, it looked nicer.

Ah, I had never even used it.

As for your other post, maybe my post on normal reply just happened to come at the right time (after ram usage was freed) or something. I was mostly just posting that information as a debugging method.

although i am sure the quick reply has it's problems too, the post not showing is not just due to the quick reply since i never use it :) people were already complaining about the quick reply a while back and although we were assured it was fixed, i never trusted it and always replied the standard way. so the 3 posts i made which i mentioned in another topic were from a standard reply.

i am curious though now if this is limited to replies only or if anyone tried to start a new topic that didn't show in a non moderated area of the forum. it's something think about too just in case.

I'll personally used only the quick reply option when posting, i only use the standard way if I want to quote somebody, the quick reply and standard reply have been the same thing for me, I don't know why rpgsearcherz's quick and standard are different.

194?! Isn't that way too small! I guess the good thing is its pretty easy to solve by adding some more memory.

Yup, I'm wondering the same thing, a really big forum like this one, with 1000's of guests online would require alot more memory then that, alot more actually...

It has to be the RICH TEXT editor trying to Load Javascript on the fly. However, I have disabled the RICH TEXT editor. This must solve this issue.

thank you.

Yay! I have never actually been fond of the rich text editor, I like the standard html one -- in my eyes it looks more neat and I can type more quick (somehow :) ) in the html version, but what are you going to be doing for the users that like the RICH TEXT editor? Are you going to fix it? Because HTML EDITORS are getting old now, rich text editor are more comfortable and more user friendly for people who don't know much about computers and just want to post in the forums, those people are going to be having a problem now... I think you should get another text editor from IPB and use those instead of the IPB given ones, or at least fix the RAM memory issue in your servers.

HaAHaHa... Thank God! QUICK REPLY is gone forever. atleast, something good happened. I edited all forums and disabled quick reply in all.

NEXT QUESTION: Should RICH TEXT EDITOR be enabled?

aww man :( I liked the quick reply, is this a temporary thing? or is it going to gone for ever? and how is disabling the quick reply 'something good' happening?

And YES, please ENABLE RICH TEXT EDITOR.

Really I don't see the use in it. I think normal text is fine, considering we still have formatting choices (bold, underline, sizes, alignment, etc.). So I really don't see the point in it to begin with.
I'd definitely say to keep it off if it's going to cause more complications.

About the missing posts, I'll let you know if I run into any more.

Nope, the normal text editor is not fine, sure YOU CAN edit and bold things and underline stuff, but what about the people who are not familiar with the html codes and things? What will people who just want to use Xisto to share opinions and they don't know all the html things. I'll actually liked the images in the rich text editor.. it showed it while you editing it, it looked nicer.

personally, as long as people can post, ANYTHING that is acting funny or strange or a possible root of a problem should be disabled for the time being. the only exception would be the chat room unless the chat room is a direct serious direct cause of something else going wrong. i HIGHLY suggest gjust getting the forums working even if it's at a basic low level. that way, there will be no complaints when the credit system is back up, we can enable more features GRADUALLY on by one. this is all i have to say for the time being....

personally, as long as people can post, ANYTHING that is acting funny or strange or a possible root of a problem should be disabled for the time being. the only exception would be the chat room unless the chat room is a direct serious direct cause of something else going wrong. i HIGHLY suggest gjust getting the forums working even if it's at a basic low level. that way, there will be no complaints when the credit system is back up, we can enable more features GRADUALLY on by one. this is all i have to say for the time being....

This is a pretty good idea as well. I never use the forums though, and I think it would be better to have the old shoutbox back. With that I would post a lot since every page had it and it would keep me remembering about it.

This is a pretty good idea as well. I never use the forums though, and I think it would be better to have the old shoutbox back. With that I would post a lot since every page had it and it would keep me remembering about it.

what?!? you are on record pace today my friend! haha you have almost 50 posts! do you mean you would post more than 50 posts a day if the shoutbox was back??? :)

what?!? you are on record pace today my friend! haha you have almost 50 posts! do you mean you would post more than 50 posts a day if the shoutbox was back??? :)

Your quote made me notice a typo -- meant to say I don't use the chatroom, lol.

BTW, the shoutbox did spark a lot of conversations in the past though.