xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Little Asterisk

Too Many Subforums Yup, its jungle out there

Since this is my second post in these areas of Xisto, I would like to tell all my complaints here. There are only three currently, so you're lucky for being so good :DThe first two are almost irrelevant, so I'll just quickly post them:1. MyCents are inactive and no one knows when they'll come back. Sorry to say so, but that's unprofessional. I know Opaque is doing all the work alone, but why not hire someone to work this out, at least on a separate server if not here? My opinion is that, no matter how necessary were the changes, you shouldn't have switched until everything has been tested. Please, don't take the opinion as being too harsh, since I think most people here feel that way.2. Too few people are here... Or at least it seems that way. This complaint is indirectly related to my third complaint. Have you ever thought about advertising a bit more? You should clearly indicate you offer free domain name and hosting, and that the domain can be .com, .org, .net etc. My feeling is that this is not clearly emphasized, at least not from your Flash site (which I had complaints about in my previous topic) and this forum. Sure, there is a "Start here" link, but I just noticed it now - when I was searching for something like that. Also, the "Start here" link first says "Forum rules and guidelines". And then, after a few lines of some text, I noticed it says something in lines of "In return for posting, you get a free .com domain and hosting...". That sentence should be first after the title ("Getting started" might be suited), and clearly emphasized in size and color. I would also suggest making the "Start here" emphasized with smart use of color.The third complaint is, as my topic title says, too many subforums and forums over here. Do we really need that many things under "Life talk" and "Health and fitness? Do we really need that long descriptions? I also think that's what makes the forum look empty - too many topics with useful information, that no one looks at!Did you know there are two "Tutorials" sections (one for graphic, one for technology). Is that really necessary?!There is a "Gamers area" and a "Games" subforum. And that subforum contains 15 other subsubforums, which also have categories like "Counter strike", "Unreal tournament" and "Halo". I mean, what's the deal with THAT? I feel like there shouldn't be that many categories. Where to put Overlord? Is it an RTS or RPG (banal example, but you get my point).Also, are that many subforums and subsubforums about spirituality really needed over here? Why not have ONE?! Is having 8 subforums for education serving some higher purpose?! Because, quite frankly, I don't see it. Why use an "Arts" subforum under Life talk, when there is also a "Graphic" forum?I hope you understand my concerns and will try to fix them. It's sad to see a good forum ruined because of these little mistakes!

although the forums are a place to share knowledge, it is also a business. a business that gives back to it's members by giving them hosting credits. the forums and all the subforums with long description titles are better for seo. the serch engines will pick up the topics faster and rank them higher which means more people will see those topics and click on ads. if we couldn't optimize the site for seo purposes, there would be less income and then there would be less credits to give away. it works out the best for everyone when people come here for free webhosting.i agree on your 1st and 2nd points 100%!!! opaques excuse is that he is doing the majority of the work. with all the problems it creates, it's obvious, he is not able to do the majority of the work in a timely fashion. i can relate and understand about his trust issues. he also explained the othr things happening in his life right now that he has to oversee. it was in a thread he started about a week ago. but when people come here for mycents and webhosting and domain credits, these excuses don't really mean much. this forum is letting too many people down right now to be good business practice.

although the forums are a place to share knowledge, it is also a business. a business that gives back to it's members by giving them hosting credits. the forums and all the subforums with long description titles are better for seo. the serch engines will pick up the topics faster and rank them higher which means more people will see those topics and click on ads. if we couldn't optimize the site for seo purposes, there would be less income and then there would be less credits to give away. it works out the best for everyone when people come here for free webhosting.
i agree on your 1st and 2nd points 100%!!! opaques excuse is that he is doing the majority of the work. with all the problems it creates, it's obvious, he is not able to do the majority of the work in a timely fashion. i can relate and understand about his trust issues. he also explained the othr things happening in his life right now that he has to oversee. it was in a thread he started about a week ago. but when people come here for mycents and webhosting and domain credits, these excuses don't really mean much. this forum is letting too many people down right now to be good business practice.

Yes, I agree with everything stated here.

Except for the mycents thing. Yes, it is why a lot of people come here, and yes it is a somewhat important aspect of the site, but I think those who come here solely for the hosting are just leeching us anyways. I have noticed as time is going along more and more people are becoming inactive posters here -- I myself have become inactive a few times but for personal reasons -- And I never came back for the MyCents. I came back for other reasons.

Either way, I kind of view it was being that whatever keeps the site up is good for me. Slower responses/updates is fine as long as we do not lose our service, :). Hiring someone to help out with the site could end up destroying it overall, which therefore is a negative impact on everything we have worked to create (I say "we" because our content helps the forums flourish as well).

Although I do agree that there are some trustworthy people on this site that could help with certain things.

i wouldn't say the people who come here for the hosting services credits are leechers. it's not like anything they are getting is free. they have to spend the time and energy to post. remember. this is also a business. the free accounts can then be converted to cash paying accounts over time and it's also a good advertsiement for Xisto - Web Hosting in general. this post to host concept is the same concept yahoo used when they were giving away free email addresses to people. it's actually good business practice so if they really are considered leechers(which in my opinion they are not), they are still the ones that made these forums thrive in the first place and grow to where it was affordable to give more hosting service credits rather than just a sub domain.

Hi anwii,

It's OK that we use the descriptions for SEO, but I still think they look somewhat ankward when compared to one another. Three to four lines of text should be just enough for these purposes, and the rest should concentrate about promoting the site for "Free hosting" searches.

In my Google search (https://www.google.com/search?q=free+hosting&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_HRHR294&prmd=l&ei=wp4tTJDlCcL5OZzCjdAB&start=10&sa=N) for free hosting, Xisto doesn't appear in the first two pages. And, in my opinion, that's one of the Forum's strongest points compared to other forums! Maybe I could call that one to the Flash site, too, but people seem to like it so I won't comment on that matter.

While speaking of Google searches, a query for "Free website forum" (https://www.google.com/search?q=free+website+forum&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_HRHR294&ei=UZ8tTP_AC5SVOIjdlIEC&start=10&sa=N), again, doesn't return Xisto in the first two pages.

And, if you look at the source code of this site, the keywords (although Google claims not to care too much about that, I still find it a good practice) are this:

[font=monospace][size=2]<meta name="keywords" content="knowledge, knowledge forums, open discussion, discussion forums, free website, free web hosting." /> [/size][/font]

Which means we would concentrate first on "knowledge" and "open discussion", and only later on "Free website". Since this is a Forum, I don't think "discussion forums" is necessary. Here's an example of what I would do:

[font=monospace][size=2]<meta name="keywords" content="free domain, free hosting, free website, Xisto, Xisto, forum, discussion" /> [/size][/font]

And, if you look at the description, it looks like this:

[font=monospace][size=2]<meta name="description" content="Xisto is your online destination to discuss & share knowledge to earn myCENTS and setup your own online website for FREE. KS is Open Discussion Forum showing no Ads to members and offers free website hosting to its members." /> [/size][/font]

Wouldn't it be better if we, again concentrated on the fact this Forum offers free hosting? It says "earn myCents", but will new visitors really know what myCents are? The fact they say "Setup your website for FREE" makes me feel like the website will be something like ks.com/mySite, which shouldn't be good.

I'm not sure what should the description be, so I won't write it yet. If I remember, I'll post it soon. :D

And also - I'm not sure if that is already working - but we should put a big "New here? Read our getting started guide" for first-time visitors. That would be great. And we shouldn't write "Forum rules" or something like that because I personally think very few people read that. Let's face it - every forum asks for the same rules...

Okay, maybe I've already discussed some of these remarks in my previous post, but it's good to repeat every now and then. Right? :D

P.S. Did you notice I turned this post, from a couple of words about SEO, to an entire book? :D

And also - I'm not sure if that is already working - but we should put a big "New here? Read our getting started guide" for first-time visitors. That would be great. And we shouldn't write "Forum rules" or something like that because I personally think very few people read that. Let's face it - every forum asks for the same rules..

It was there at the top with old IPB theme but because of new upgrade and default theme modification many things are lost. And about point of too many forums, i think more the content and titles better for search engines to drive traffic and to generate revenue via kontera and google. So there is no point is reducing number of forums. As for point about newbie guide, i think opaque will fix that in few days (err months perhaps) by adding link to mycents, hosting guide threads.

yes. everything you said makes absolute sense. but this forum just upgraded to a new version and a new domain. in fact, ALL keywords are suffering right now because of the change. since the forum upgraded, i am sure there will be some changes in how to properaly use seo. in face, opaque has stated in a previous thread that an seo module was screwing other things up. to give you an example, i created a thread which was #1 and #2 in the search engines for "dish network scam" and also "dish network fraud". i intentionally optimized that post for those keywords. after the change, those keywords are like on the 3rd page now. any seo we can do right now, we need to do because of the big loss suffered through the change.nothing seems to be perfect right now. i am more concerned with the functionality of the whole forum. also, if opaque actually spelled "Xisto" correctly with ONE k, maybe that keyword would be ranking higher haha. i think he is trying to take advantage of a misspelled keyword but to me it is just unprofessional and hurts the site more than helps it. so who knows :)all i know is the new domain needs a history before google starts ranking keywords higher for the new domain. this has always been the case for ALL new domains.also, being one who talks to new users regularly on this forum, the biggest complaint they have. i mean the #1 complaint for the majority of new users is that they get confused in how to sign up for mycents and earn hosting credits. although there have been threads on the subject and tutorials, it is obvious to me by the confusion that the information isn't readily available to new users who just can't find the information. this would be my #1 priority to impliment an easier way to pass information along to new users AFTER opaque gets the mycents system working again with the new forum upgrade

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

@anwii Yes, the thing with myCents and forum/site relations was confusing at first for me, too. I sent a PM to OpaQue about putting that in the Start here subforum that has just opened. I also realise the forum has been upgraded to a newer version, but I believe that the old forum didn't appear before, either. (I was searching for "Free domain and hosting" and similar things even before, and I found out about this forum from another website, and then a quick search for Trap 17 directed me to another forum where I found out it's Xisto now :D)@mahesh2kI realise it's good for SEO, but still... I think we should not sacrifice readability and traffic on certain subforums just for the sake of SEO.

I realise it's good for SEO, but still... I think we should not sacrifice readability and traffic on certain subforums just for the sake of SEO.

I completely agree with this statement. SEO means nothing if you do not have the visitors coming on a normal basis. Without good content (and active content) you get nowhere at all.

It is my opinion that the forums should be cleaned up. All that stuff on the front page might attract people from a search engine, but the front page looks like a mess. When I first joined here, seeing that was a very negative first impression.

Here's an example of a popular forum that has all the necessary information, and looks neat and clean.

https://forums.techguy.org/

As you can see there are many topics, but the forum has a clean professional look. I just randomly picked it and it really looks good to me. It is also very popular, so "SEO" isn't much of an excuse.

Here are some suggestions I have for kks.

#1 Smaller icons. Put them on a diet. I don't like a bunch of huge icons all over the place, it's starting to look like a myspace page.

#2 Get rid of all the red. I have never even read those warnings. They're out of place, and they look messy. They look like my first webpage when I was 12 years old and experimenting with colours and underlines.

#3 THE FORMAT is complete CHAOS. SOME TOPICS are CAPS.. some are not. I understand they're supposed to draw attention to important topics, but that's not necessary at all and just makes things hard to find in my opinion.

#4 Clean out topics that aren't being used, merge topics into more general sections. There's just too much stuff. I'd rather have a lot of action in one sub forum than a yearly post in a sub forum. If that section becomes super popular, branch it out. But not before. For example, have a gaming section. If in the future the gaming section starts to get confusing with people talking about consoles and PC games, then change it. Seeing all those topics with no action just makes the forum look dead, whereas seeing a more general topic with some action makes the forum look active.

#5 The forum descriptions need serious pruning. They're too long, they don't follow a format, some contain colour. I see OpaQue removed the swear words (quite unprofessional since there are innocent teenagers :P :P here which is a good start! But yeah, take a look at that tech support forum and see how it looks. This forum's descriptions need some restraint. It looks like instead of putting effort into a concise meaningful description, someone just wrote what they wanted with no regard for layout.

#6 Improve the English grammar. It needs a LOT of improvement. It would look much more professional with proper grammar. Nothing like -- Don't Bite your Fingers!! Just Open out your curious heart <3 here. -- Capital letters everywhere? Double exclamations? Nope, fine for casual chatting, but not a good look for a website. At least, not if you're trying to attract people who like intelligent discussions and accumulating Knowledge!

Well that's just a few things. I'm being extra critical because I like this forum, and I visit it pretty much every day. I want more people to join and make it a more interesting place where people of diverse interests and cultures can chat or post. I don't expect anyone to listen to me, but these are my suggestions for what they're worth.

Also.. like was said before. CONCENTRATE ON THE WEB HOSTING!! There are 1000000000000000000000 forums out there focusing on the discussion of "Life, The Universe, and Everything" This one is no more unique than any of them except for the fact it offers GREAT rewards. You want to make that completely obvious! People will join for the web hosting (a common interest for many types of people), and like myself stay because it's a great forum to hang out on. I'm not here for the rewards, at least I haven't been for months. But the rewards are why new people will join. I know that in the past I've searched for free web hosting and free shells, and this site delivers it's promises of free services unlike any other I've been on -- this site is rare in that it is A LOT better than it looks on the exterior.

People don't post on popular forums because of SEO. They don't come back because of the fake guests. They post and keep posting because it's a great forum. There are tons of popular forums I've been on who offer no rewards at all that blow Xisto's forum out of the water activity wise. Xisto has the potential to be a great forum. Make it so!

Yet another of my posts did not go through.To cut a long story short, they need to clear out old posts as well. A lot of times when I come here I get brought to posts from 2005 or so.Even on the "similar topics" list, the top 4 are from 2005 (except one, which is from 2006). The old information is not good for people who are looking for something specific that is not outdated, and I am sure it is feeding a lot of people the wrong information.

Yet another of my posts did not go through.
To cut a long story short, they need to clear out old posts as well. A lot of times when I come here I get brought to posts from 2005 or so.

Even on the "similar topics" list, the top 4 are from 2005 (except one, which is from 2006). The old information is not good for people who are looking for something specific that is not outdated, and I am sure it is feeding a lot of people the wrong information.

deleting old posts will hurt this forum more than help it. why is old and outdated information bad? if it was, we should ban history books and eliminate history classes.

all posts here are recorded in the google serch engines and believe it or not, i think outdated information can sometimes be helpfull. but even if it wasn't helpfull, someone would have to be the judge in what IS or ISN'T outdated. what if this person just don't have any common sense and starts deleting things that AREN'T really outdated but just seems to the person at the time that the information is outdated?

like i said, it will hurt more than help. while we are at it, i have seen you bring back 3 year old topics since you've been back that could be considered to be outdated. :)what's wrong with you! haha i am teasing ya....

deleting old posts will hurt this forum more than help it. why is old and outdated information bad? if it was, we should ban history books and eliminate history classes.
all posts here are recorded in the google serch engines and believe it or not, i think outdated information can sometimes be helpfull. but even if it wasn't helpfull, someone would have to be the judge in what IS or ISN'T outdated. what if this person just don't have any common sense and starts deleting things that AREN'T really outdated but just seems to the person at the time that the information is outdated?

like i said, it will hurt more than help. while we are at it, i have seen you bring back 3 year old topics since you've been back that could be considered to be outdated. :)what's wrong with you! haha i am teasing ya....

I do on accident sometimes too, :(.

The kind of outdated information I speak of though is like when looking up comparisons of CMS's, forums, looking up forum reviews, etc. Unlike history books (which are based on factual -- although sometimes biased, information) things like technology are always changing.

It sucks when you look up something like Joomla vs. Drupal and all you read about is how horrible the SEO is in Joomla (considering that issue was fixed a couple years ago). That's the kind of false information I speak of.

A lot of things are fine with older information, but some are not. For those who do not recognize the year date on posts, they can easily make the mistake of making wrong decisions based on the wrong information (such as, if I had read about Joomla's lack of features I wouldn't have ever chosen it as a CMS -- but almost every feature it lacked even a year ago, it has now).

I guess it is really just a matter of preference.

i see your point, but most of the outdated information wont be in the new topics or posts sections. when we are researching things on google. the most relevant stuff pops up first which means normally the new factual information that has been posted most recently will show up first. the searches are becoming more smart while people update the algorythms to show the most relevant information first.for the forums itself though, it benefits the forums to leave old and outdated topics up. it creates more relevancy to the categories and more links to attract new members even if it is old, outdated and useless from a member standpoint.

i see your point, but most of the outdated information wont be in the new topics or posts sections. when we are researching things on google. the most relevant stuff pops up first which means normally the new factual information that has been posted most recently will show up first. the searches are becoming more smart while people update the algorythms to show the most relevant information first.
for the forums itself though, it benefits the forums to leave old and outdated topics up. it creates more relevancy to the categories and more links to attract new members even if it is old, outdated and useless from a member standpoint.

Yeah, I understand about the link-building, SEO aspect, etc. but let's get real -- the forums have rarely been getting members over the past few months (even before the MyCent problems), lol.

I would really like more people to converse with here though. It gets a little lonely! Nothing is worse than leaving for 4 hours, coming back and seeing there were a whole TWO new posts made while you were gone...