xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kobra500

How To Download Youtube Videos You Have Watched (Without The Hassle Of Annoying Software) This is for windows, I dont own a mac so dont know of simila

Right the title is a bit of a misnomer because you do actually need one piece of software for this; but it is a software you all should have call "unlocker" which can be downloaded from the link given. Now for those of you who what unlocker is it is quite frankly one of the best pieces of software in existence because this software can remove those files that have been getting on your nerves. The corrupt file etc that you just can't get rid of, you can also use it to copy and move files that just don't want to move because they are locked down by softwares etc.

Now since I count this as a software no one should be without when I say without annoying software I really mean those rubbish youtube downloaders of which there are thousands but also that this is specifically for videos you've watched already and want to download without the inanity of redownloading it with some piece of rubbish software. Now if you wanted you could use this is place of downloading through software as I often do, all you have to do is open the video and let it run until the loading bar is fully red and the video is loaded.

So imagine this, you have just watched a youtube video, perhaps a music video or perhaps you might want to watch it later offline or maybe as in my case your cousin likes to play world of warcraft and therefore, his raid will be coming up soon and he'll be whining that he wants the internet to himself; whatever your reason it is useless downloading the video again or downloading any software at all (with the exception of the God of software's unlocker) so here's what you do. As all windows users should know you have a folder simply called "temp" which holds temporary files (go figure). for those of you who like me are on vista (and probably windows 7 it will be located at "C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Temp" and at a similar address for XP and older versions I am sure. if you visit this folder you will see a sea of oddly name files with odder extensions and one of these is your youtube video. Now if you want a mp4 version of the video you are better off with some rubbish software than with this trick, this is for people like me who use and love the worlds best mediaplayer "VLC media player" which you can find by googling the term. It is, no joke absolutely magnificent.

Now flash files always are name fla......... where the "dot dot dots" are replaced by a random string of numbers and possibly a letter or two as well, now if you're browser is like mine when you close the tab with the video (or the window) the temporary file disappears to never be seen again, so you should (assuming you still have the youtube video open and no other flash content) only have one fla.... file. If you have multiple make sure to close any other flash content and attempt to copy each in turn into a folder of any description, if it succeeds simply undo. The one you want will throw and error should you try to move it as it is still tied in with your browser of choice (google chrome in my case). Here's where God Unlocker does it's magic, right click on the file and click unlocker, there it will bring up a menu, it the bottom left corner click the drop down box and select copy and the choose the folder you wish to save it to, you're not done yet. Rename the file to the *.flv extension. You can now peruse the video at your leisure without expelling more bandwidth or having to be connected to the internet at all. You can if you so wish also change that file into another type of video of your choice with other free software's but really if your going to do that there are plenty more easier ways to do this. This doesn't just work with youtube but with all video players that I have used and possibly with flash games also, the key is that fla....... file in your temp folder which can be copied elsewhere.

I'm writing this from memory (on Win7 at the moment) but for those lucky enough to be using Linux, Ubuntu in particular... #1. Open Terminal Emulator#2. Type: sudo apt-get install youtube-dl#3. Wait for installation of tiny youtube downloader to complete. #4 To download type: youtube-dl <url> #5. Wait for download and conversion, check folder for .avi video file or run it from terminal.Makes it really convenient to save youtube videos and convert them to a format that plays in almost anything. I found this the quickest way to save videos from youtube, because I usually have a terminal open, I just type step #4 when someone shares a link to something I know I'll keep.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Wow... that much work and renaming just for a silly YouTube Video? Really, Who really wants to go through that much trouble? The easiest way to download some Youtube video would be to download a youtube downloading software, of course you say that they are a 'hassle' but that was before, now there are programs that run silently in the background (without taking much resources) and ask if you want to download them. Otherwise you can integrate a add-on on your browser (Chrome, Opera, Firefox,etc.) and it should bring up a download button next to the video, this is by far the easiest way to do this and not have any time wasted nor resources.

You can find the addons here:

Firefox : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Opera : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Chrome : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

<br>Wow... that much work and renaming just for a silly YouTube Video? Really, Who really wants to go through that much trouble? The <i>easiest </i>way to download some Youtube video would be to download a youtube downloading software, of course you say that they are a 'hassle' but that was before, now there are programs that run silently in the background (without taking much resources) and ask if you want to download them. Otherwise you can integrate a add-on on your browser (Chrome, Opera, Firefox,etc.) and it should bring up a download button next to the video, this is by far the easiest way to do this and not have any time wasted nor resources

But if you've already watched the video I see little point in downloading it again, and it takes barely any time at all and it's my proffered method because I don't like a lot of the youtube downloading software. I know there are lot's of great sites and software but my way is simply when you've watched a video and want it without waiting for it to download again and to be frank I with screencast tutorials etc tend to watch them once and if I think there useful I use my method to download them faster than redownloading them again. and Unlocker is a brilliant program which you should have anyway. It takes about 20seconds literally! Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

I guess if you were using dial-up it would come in handy. Only a few months ago I used to download at 2.5kB/s so it took quite a long time to download a ten minute video. I guess that's why I always just downloaded it to my hard drive instead of viewing on a browser.

thank you kob for your time and for sharing, i used to do this before and it is a great and simple way.but two years ago i started to use another way. i use "internet download manager", it is a software used for downloading anything in high speed and very short time. so, when i install this program, a button will appear in the top of every videos i open, no need for watching the video first or wait till it loads, i can download it directly through internet download manager button. if you want give it a try and see the result.

There are actually 2 better ways of doing it. One is using the latest version of realplayer. You install it with all the plug-ins you'll get a "Download this video to real player" or something like that . Use it and download it. Easy as hell. But if you want to conserve band-width and want to use it up use this software called VideoCacheView. Its freeware and easily available. Just google for it. I'll put up a link if someone has troubles with it though. This just goes through the cache and lists all the files that are actually .. umm .. non-useless. So fire up firefox, or preferably chrome. Because firefox keeps 2 caches while chrome maintains just one. Watch video. Have VideoCacheView open. Whichever file just got added is yours. And from here you can do direct copy paste.

Hmm I've tried many ways of downloading YT videos and so far the easiest one has been using Internet Download Manager. Those were the days when I used the internet in Windows and IDM was super-fast and bothered me very little. After moving to Ubuntu there wasn't any good enough software to replace IDM, so for a few days I used the site keepvid.com and later on discovered the tool rob mentioned (youtube-dl). Now I just use keepvid and youtube-dl alternatively and I don't watch the videos in YT at all!

my program of choice is called "Free Youtube Download". Find a video you want to download, copy the address. Open the program, and press ctrl+v (if you select "automatically paste url from clipboard [or something like that]" just copy the link and you won't need to press ctrl+v [there's more options to look at]). Repeat for all videos you want to get. When you're finished adding to the list of downloads, click download on the bottom right of the program. The download can take anywhere from minutes to hours to complete the downloads (mainly depends on how many videos you select and their length). The program is from dvd videosoft.

HaHAHa .. Behold : http://www.dirpy.com/ (Just Copy-Paste YouTube URL into dirpy and Download anything of it - Customize your download)

Dirpy Studio, which is currently in beta, is a tool that lets you download or convert your favorite YouTube videos to high quality mp3s in real-time. Dirpy Studio provides many useful features like real-time transcoding, id3 metadata tags, offsets, support for high quality formats (including HD), and more.
Dirpy also provides a powerful file search tool to help you find audio, video, archive, and executable files hosted in open directories across the web.

I use keepvid.com and I've seen a few other similar sites and they all require the Java plugin installated (along with JRE) I think some people don't have this installed on their system so if they're getting any error they should install JRE first and then they can smoothly download the videos :)@NNNOOOOOO: the site I use gives me good speeds on my downloads no matter how long the video is. My maximum possible download speed is 230kbps and keepvid.com easily gives me around 120-140kbps if I download a single video, and an average of 70-80 kbps if I download multiple videos at the same time. So if you have a faster connection you could get more speed from this site. I don't know if the site has anything to do with the speed (the video is downloaded from youtube's cache?) but somehow this site is faster than the others I've seen.@OpaQue: I haven't tried the site you've mentioned because usually it takes time for the video-mp3 conversion to take place online, right? If I want only the mp3 I simply download the video and convert it offline. I find that it is much faster this way.