xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soviet Rathe

Official Knowledgesutra Irc [resolved] A whole new way to get help, and chat

Can I just say why the topic title says 'Official Xisto Irc' and the topic start says 'The un-official Xisto IRC is now up!'???

Can I just say why the topic title says 'Official Xisto Irc' and the topic start says 'The un-official Xisto IRC is now up!'???

the title was soviets words. opaque edited the post to make it contradictory :). so like i said before, it was made SEMI official when opaque moved the topic to announcements. so it is official non official at the same time right now. it's in a limbo state to see where soviet will take it and opaque has put his trust and faith in to the determination of soviet. thus, read my post. sometimes things don't have to be announced official to be semi official :P

ash- just read between the lines :)opaque is changing with the times. i am surpised that he kept the chat room going and i am surprised he is allowing soviet to link the irc to this forum. it's a good thing. don't question it :D

i am really amazed with your dedication, soviet. you are still there in the IRC trying and trying in spite of all the mess, thank you soviet really you are doing a great job.P.S: if you have the same dedication in everything you do in your life,i am sure that someday you will be a great man :)

well actually the IRC will be tied to the forums soon, I'm making a bot that will fetch new posts and announce them in the IRC :) an IRC is way more convenient then a bulky, browser based shoutbox, and you can have the client make sound when someone speaks.. just like the shout box :P

Hmmm... I haven't seen anything like that before... and how are you exactly going to have it say new posts? Through a IPB API or something? IF you can do that, it will the greatest thing EVER! And maybe you can include myCENT updates and post updates... so it says
'Deadmad7 has posted in the Topic [i][url="http://forums.xisto.com/topic/72205-official-Xisto-irc-resolved-a-whole-new-way-to-get-help-and-chat/ Xisto Irc[/url][/i]
or
'Deadmad7 has earned 0.43 myCENTS in the last 5 hours.'

Something like that would be really great -- something the forum doesn't have yet.. it already has a SHOUTROOM, sounds when posting, and you can look in the forum for new posts.

So, if you could include things like that.. you can become UNIQUE and people would rather use the IRC and they have reason to use it. For now, you're doing a great job :D I just hope you can start the trivia soon enough!

I had completely forgot you could use Pidgin for IRC! Thanks for your unintended reminder! Now I don't have to keep XChat running.. :P

You don't even have to have Pidgin for IRC, just open up OPERA then go into a irc link and it has a built-in awesome IRC client! It's better than most IRC clients I have seen and it really works and it doesn't even slow down your browsing.

i am really amazed with your dedication, soviet. you are still there in the IRC trying and trying in spite of all the mess, thank you soviet really you are doing a great job.
P.S: if you have the same dedication in everything you do in your life,i am sure that someday you will be a great man :)

^^^Wd, you said it better than anyone can!! :)

There's a lot of potential in an IRC chat. There is a VERY detailed statistics script either TCL script or mIRC (can't remember) that counts the statistics of what people say in the chatroom, blocking out short words, words like "lol", repeated lines, spam links, etc.. and what not..and produces graphed statistics and channel activity etc etc more information then you could ever need. Very impressive script. The point is, if it's open source (I don't know?) that's already a premade MyCent thing made for IRC.. just needs to calculate MyCents out of the already programmed statistics gathering.I thought I overheard OpaQue talking about MyCents for chat, well that would be a good place to start. Even if the "MyCent" rate was reduced to take into account the massive amount of typing people do when they chat..It'd be alot more reliable than the current chatroom. There are so many benefits! The IPB chat could be replaced by a simple web irc client so everyone could benefit. Advanced users could benefit from IRC, and beginnner chatters could benefit from the reliability of a chat that actually works.. Some days I can't even get on the IPB chat. The only thing wrong with the IRC right now is that everyone is using the IPB chatroom instead..because it's "In yo face". There are three people in the IRC at most times, not that bad considering the iPB chat isn't usually full of activity either..yet

Hmmm... I haven't seen anything like that before... and how are you exactly going to have it say new posts? Through a IPB API or something? IF you can do that, it will the greatest thing EVER! And maybe you can include myCENT updates and post updates... so it says

'Deadmad7 has posted in the Topic [i][url="http://forums.xisto.com/topic/72205-official-Xisto-irc-resolved-a-whole-new-way-to-get-help-and-chat/ Xisto Irc[/url][/i]
or
'Deadmad7 has earned 0.43 myCENTS in the last 5 hours.'
Something like that would be really great -- something the forum doesn't have yet.. it already has a SHOUTROOM, sounds when posting, and you can look in the forum for new posts.

So, if you could include things like that.. you can become UNIQUE and people would rather use the IRC and they have reason to use it. For now, you're doing a great job :D I just hope you can start the trivia soon enough!

You don't even have to have Pidgin for IRC, just open up OPERA then go into a irc link and it has a built-in awesome IRC client! It's better than most IRC clients I have seen and it really works and it doesn't even slow down your browsing.

^^^Wd, you said it better than anyone can!! :)

a PHP IRC bot can easily achieve this, kinda like an RSS
the MyCENT part could be a little more complicated, my friend and I are working on a cool bot that will do EVERYTHING we could ever want it to.

i'm also looking for a small IRC client OpaQue can embed, if I can't fine one without watermarks I'll have one made ;)

I guess no one is interested in the IRC. it's still up... only a few have ever joined.. disappointed.

sorry to hear that soviet :( i agree with you this is so disappointing
but i think you did all you can and what is happening in the IRC is the same is happening in the whole forum, lack of activity. so, i think it is a good thing if you look at it from another corner. i mean if the the members are active in the whole forum but not in the IRC, then this is a real problem. but now, i think you should be satisfied or feeling good since it is the same every where. so cheer up, and i hope everything will be great soon. and thanks for your hard work :).

The link in the signature leads to this topic. And it is difficult to find a link that leads to the chat room. To attract visitors the first thing to do might be to make it easy for an interested possible visitor to find the link to the place the visitor would be welcomed. The option to download a chat program to be able to enter the chat room is not very attractive. It is asked a lot to download a program just to be able to see if somebody in the chat room.There is a link that opens the chat room. But this link is almost hidden.

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

The link in the signature leads to this topic. And it is difficult to find a link that leads to the chat room. To attract visitors the first thing to do might be to make it easy for an interested possible visitor to find the link to the place the visitor would be welcomed. The option to download a chat program to be able to enter the chat room is not very attractive. It is asked a lot to download a program just to be able to see if somebody in the chat room.
There is a link that opens the chat room. But this link is almost hidden.

Well if OpaQue would answer my PM that I sent 5 months ago :P I suggested that he embed an irc client on the forums (to replace the chat room)

also, there is a link to the web based client in the post itself http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(to replace the chat room)

noooo not replacing the chat room please :o i love our chat room. i even switched to opera just to use it. add to that i don't know anything about how to use the irc, and the once or twice i've been there i was lost and was acting like a stranger :P .

but i still support you fully, so, there isn't a way to use both of them or embed both of them to the forums????

I don't see a point in having both of them. it'll just cause more confusion.Web_Designer, irc doesn't require any knowledge, here, I made this. right now it's pointing to one of my other channels but you get the idea http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ there and tell me if it doesn't seem better lol.and it will be even better when my friend get done coding his new IRC client, here is the layout (note that it is not yet functional, this is just the layout)http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks for setting up an IRC channel soviet ^_^ I will probably be there ;) I like IRC because it is faster than a webbrowser-based chat have a nice day -CalebFTWalso soviet dab is doing an amazing job with dabbit so far :D

Edited by CalebFTW (see edit history)