xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
anwiii

A Suggestion For Knowledge Sutra

i've been been thinking on and off about this for a year now and finally want to suggest something because i think it's importantsince Xisto lists everybody's birthday, i think it would be a good idea for a script to send a happy birthday message to the users who have a birthday that day. i get birthday messages from other sites and believe it or not, it gets me back to their website even if i had no intention of going back for a while....or EVER for that reason.it would not only be good to personally acknowledge ones birthday(everyone like to be noticed on their birthday), but it will allow users who forgot about this forum or users who haven't been here in a while, to remember this place and come back and visit.maybe even give them an incentive every year like 100 mycents or mycents=their age. for regular members, it's not really costing that much because they probably already have credits built up sitting around anyway. for inactive users, you are giving up some mycents, but if they continue to be inactive, it's not a loss. if they become active, then it's worth it in the long run.anyway, that's my simple suggestion for Xisto....

since Xisto lists everybody's birthday, i think it would be a good idea for a script to send a happy birthday message to the users who have a birthday that day. i get birthday messages from other sites and believe it or not, it gets me back to their website even if i had no intention of going back for a while....or EVER for that reason.

Invision Power Board does have a modifciation that you can install on Xisto that will send out emails on people birthday, I think it is personally a good idea and I am sure some other members for instance like you will agree to this.

it would not only be good to personally acknowledge ones birthday(everyone like to be noticed on their birthday), but it will allow users who forgot about this forum or users who haven't been here in a while, to remember this place and come back and visit.

It's like the other day when I havent been on a forum for a year and I recieved a birthday email from them, I am active on that site now.
Edited by Ne0n (see edit history)

good suggestion , i like the idea. most of the websites now do that especially forums, i used to receive many HAPPY BIRTHDAY from many websites, and it really makes me happy, it is something like the world celebrating with you on that day.i want to make another suggestion too. what about adding something in members area, i mean here profile, so that we can sent a HAPPY BIRTHDAY message to other members here. it could be something simple, a birthday cake, a candle or even add a funny face wearing a birthday hat. it will be nice that members can send happy birthday to each others.

Edited by web_designer (see edit history)

I also agree that this is a good idea. Actually I have register some accounts in other forums I like. Everyday I will routinely check out my google inbox and sometimes will recieve good blessing from the websites, which make me excited. So I would click the link and login my account. I think it is really a nice suggestion and the community should adopt it.

i've been been thinking on and off about this for a year now and finally want to suggest something because i think it's important
since Xisto lists everybody's birthday, i think it would be a good idea for a script to send a happy birthday message to the users who have a birthday that day. i get birthday messages from other sites and believe it or not, it gets me back to their website even if i had no intention of going back for a while....or EVER for that reason.

it would not only be good to personally acknowledge ones birthday(everyone like to be noticed on their birthday), but it will allow users who forgot about this forum or users who haven't been here in a while, to remember this place and come back and visit.

maybe even give them an incentive every year like 100 mycents or mycents=their age. for regular members, it's not really costing that much because they probably already have credits built up sitting around anyway. for inactive users, you are giving up some mycents, but if they continue to be inactive, it's not a loss. if they become active, then it's worth it in the long run.

anyway, that's my simple suggestion for Xisto....

even if it is a good idea I still dont like it.
Its a good idea in the sense that indeed you get back to that site, but for me and I can say this for other people too it also annoys you as spam.
my email is for my school/work too, I do care if i get useless emails. and yes other sites do this too but it also made me cancel my account there.
if wasn't doing anything on that site in the first place for a while it has its reasons.

however, the idea of getting a happy birthday is a good thing. you can send a message to the inbox on your Xisto account so your mailbox doesnt get spammed ( since the meaning of spam is unwanted messages to me and you cant decide that for anyone if its wanted or not )

Yes it's always nice to get a birthday greeting, but using it as a means to get back old members may or may not work out that much. But i do agree that it is a good suggestion and is indeed worth trying. will it be a lot of work to get this system up and going? i don't know much about automatic mailers so im not sure how much work this means for the admin but if its a lot then it can definitely wait because we have more pressing issues in the forum right now.

I think this idea is very cool, especially for the people who have lost contact with the forums, it would be great to receive some reminder that they still have a place to post and contribute.Also, another suggestion for KS is to remove that beautiful site in flash... I know it looks so cute, and whoever did must have made a huge job, but people hates having to wait for a Flash intro to load... because it looks like a flash intro at first. And especially nowadays that Flash is no more a discovery and people is already used to it, I think that it's lost that exotic taste it once had. At least, if they really like it and want to keep the flash site, please make so that in no less than 5 secs it's loaded.Just a contribution ;)

The one thing that gets me back to most websites is an email that tells me someone has replied to my message. However, the feature on an active forum would be more of an annoyance than something users would want to have.However, it would be nice to have an application that I can install, similar to TweetDeck, that can provide a notification when a new thread is started, a reply is sent to a thread the user posted to, or the user receives a private message through the forum. Perhaps the user can mark specific topics that he or she is interested in to receive the notifications.

Also, another suggestion for KS is to remove that beautiful site in flash... I know it looks so cute, and whoever did must have made a huge job, but people hates having to wait for a Flash intro to load... because it looks like a flash intro at first. And especially nowadays that Flash is no more a discovery and people is already used to it, I think that it's lost that exotic taste it once had. At least, if they really like it and want to keep the flash site, please make so that in no less than 5 secs it's loaded.Just a contribution ;)

Yeah you have a point there, but I also must say whoever made it did a hell of a good job! Would be a shame to let it go to waste but then again whats the point?
especially with the forum being a totally different layout then the awesome flash intro. It is however a great improvement in comparison with the old front page that looked like some site that just buys off random domains and then blogs it with loads of ads.

all in all a setup option for the birthday would be great.. even better just send it and add a link if you want to disable it. so that if people dont like to get a happy birthday in their mailbox won't be bothered again.

all in all a setup option for the birthday would be great.. even better just send it and add a link if you want to disable it. so that if people don't like to get a happy birthday in their mailbox won't be bothered again.

T

also, to make greetings more personal (many people are not to happy about automatic or 'mr.bean style' cards? I personally.) would be maybe greater to have birthday people listed on some website aria and people can pick a birthday children and click on "Greetings, HappyBirthday, Be Well" with also personal message option. Once there is some-to-24 hours past the "package of greetings" will be send to the user. Message can be public or private & other options can be configured to make it more personal. More human touch.

And it will end up in person PM as whole one message / email /other email / unless one disables/changes the option

payd feature can even be sms like service, okey, this is for now not so important but the personalized group greeting that comes in maximum once per hour or as total sum would be good. (every greeting separately - to much emails, no one needs so urgently birthday greetings, if they do .. well, we can still work on sms thing, good to have options to everyone :)

--

( There is one really great free birthday card portal i found - maybe one can even maintain it so that users can explore many cool cards from this portal (that will be also maintained by community users, and also one can upload personal card up there if needed & base can be connected so one can also send cards directly to users in here from the birthday card portal - or not. If someone has close persons in this forum, it would be worth to work on future maybe?)