xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Which Kind Of Website You Will Choose Php Or Asp?

I would choose PHP, because:1) It's FREE2) It's OPEN SOURCE3) It's Fast4) It's multi-platform (Linux, Windows, BSD and etc.)5) It's multi-server (IIS, APACHE, lighttpd and etc.)6) It's Easy to Learn7) It's Easy to Use8) It has a lot of modules9) It's widespread10) It is easy to integrate it in any product11) It has a big communityBut unfortunately it has:1) Bad error reporting if we compare it with ASP.NET, but it can be fixed with PHP extra tools2) It's less secure than ASP.NET but it depends on the programmer and his experience3) PHP makes you do your programming very untidy if we compare it with ASP.NET or even more with similar language like Python, usually PHP scripts is a big mess of code :PHowever, ASP.NET is good because it's really advanced, easy to use, it's flexible, but it's not FREE and usually works best only with Windows Server.I know one guy, who moved from PHP to ASP.NET and used it for over a year now in his new job and he says that it's really GOOD and that PHP sucks.. Could be, but usually PHP is more than enough for any project/website to create and as PHP has so many good frameworks, it's even better now to use it. ;]

(P.S. Is everyone OK with me posting new cool CMSs I find here? I can make a new topic if anyone thinks I shouldn't be posting here.)

I don't think anyone here will mind about it. But why not open another thread about it. By the way, have you figured out how to install ruby on rails on cpanel here on Xisto - Web Hosting ? or python CMS here using cpanel tools ?

I'm in search for the ways to install ruby on rails applications on here if i get python to install then i'll see that too. Let me know if you know about installing them with cpanel. If you can come up with tutorial and it's cool.

I don't think anyone here will mind about it. But why not open another thread about it. By the way, have you figured out how to install ruby on rails on cpanel here on Xisto - Web Hosting ? or python CMS here using cpanel tools ?
I'm in search for the ways to install ruby on rails applications on here if i get python to install then i'll see that too. Let me know if you know about installing them with cpanel. If you can come up with tutorial and it's cool.

OK, I'll open a new topic soon and put all the CMSs there for a better and easier preview.

As for Ruby, I haven't tried yet since I'm not that familiar with Ruby and I don't know that much about the particular language. However, I do intend to start learning more about it soon and when I do, I'll be definitely using a local server (I use XAMPP for testing PHP, for instance, but you could also use something like WAMP, MAMP or... I don't know, some other -AMP). Testing locally has a few great advantages for me, mostly because it's much faster and doesn't waste any bandwidth.

I don't know if I'll have time for a tutorial once I install Ruby but a Google search on the matter returns a few videos which might be worth a shot: https://www.google.hr/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=install+ruby+on+rails

Let me know if this helps. ;)

I don't know if I'll have time for a tutorial once I install Ruby but a Google search on the matter returns a few videos which might be worth a shot:

GOOGLE.

Let me know if this helps. ;)

LOL. No. Because we don't need to install ROR on cpanel,it is already installed for us. The problem is with executing the server and the running of appliaction. I mean how to install the apps in the cpanel and how to work with that. I tried google and it didn't work. I thought you're aware of that so i asked you. I'm using instant rails which is similar to XAMPP but never found out how to deal with the database and installation of that app to cpanel. Looks like hard for me because there is less documentation and nobode here is interested in that. I doubt support in this site will help. Python is another thing which is supported as per description in the Xisto - Web Hosting. But never got it to work, also searching for how to manage python on cpanel. No success with that as well. And yes, i tried google for that. There is nothing which can help in that case.

A small digression from the original topic:

Remember how we started talking about Ruby somewhere in the discussion. No? Check the last post. :) Well, anyhow, Nettuts+ has published the first of many parts in a series of Ruby development so I suggest you check it out in case you'd like to learn a few things. The first part is titled "Ruby for Newbies" and covers basically only the download process and a few basic rules of Ruby.

♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥

So, why are you still here? :D Go check it out. https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ruby-for-newbies-installing-ruby-and-getting-started--net-15116

Ah that tutorial is good one. I do know this much basic part so this will definitely help to those who are new to ruby. I would like to see if they come up with server deployment part which i have no clue. If that happens and it works out then i'm going to install the ruby apps on some of my hosting packages. Thanks anyway for the link.

A small digression from the original topic:

Remember how we started talking about Ruby somewhere in the discussion. No? Check the last post. :) Well, anyhow, Nettuts+ has published the first of many parts in a series of Ruby development so I suggest you check it out in case you'd like to learn a few things. The first part is titled "Ruby for Newbies" and covers basically only the download process and a few basic rules of Ruby.

♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥

So, why are you still here? :D Go check it out. https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ruby-for-newbies-installing-ruby-and-getting-started--net-15116

I have never tried Ruby in all my life.

Funny how i just fell in love with php and never tried other languages. if there was one i'd want to learn, i think it would be python because i'd love to develop for mobile platforms.

but i'll sure find sometime to check out that great tutorial.

thanks a lot for sharing mate.

It's a simple choice for me - ASP represents a big greedy corporation ie: Microsoft and PHP represents the open source community. More power to the open source community - my choice will always be open source, as I don't think the Microsoft leopard will change it's spots!Best Regards - Dazbek.

if you want to know which one is better for you then you need to specify what you need from a language, so here i will say some differences and in the end i will say which one i will choose and why.1. if you are familiar with C# and you do not want to learn another language for making your website then you should go for asp.net, this is why some old and popular website still insist on using asp because their employees are .net programmers and so if they want to change the language of their website it needs a lot of money and time for them to be able to teach their employees to work with php and write their scripts in php, this is why my university is currently using asp for its website because its employees are not familiar with php at all.2. PHP is open source (something that microsoft never understands :D) so you can do any change you want in it and so any thing you want with it, so it is just more flexible for professional users and also php is capable to be run on both linux and windows based servers so the developers shouldn't be worry about transfer their website from a linux based to a windows based but in aps you only can use windows servers which are more expensive too and less customizable.3. May years before php was unable to encode the scripts inside server but asp was capable of it from when it born, but as php is opensource so it didn't take too much till Zend came and so php got somehow that ability too. again in that time as the asp had a lot of libraries and components so writing a website based on it was a lot faster and a lot easier but as php grew and got a lot of scripts too so they are both now nearly same in fast writing of a web page and with help of many php based CMS which are now more than asp based ones you can make your website in under 10 minutes which shows why in past people were trying to use asp for their website.4. Now what about IDE ? from the beginning of PHP there were a lot of free IDE for it but the main IDE for asp is Visual Studio which is not ver cheap! anyway some developers never use IDE.So i definitely go for php because first i can do anything i want with it and second as i'm not very rich to spend a lot of money on both server and IDE, and third because i really hate .net based desktop apps because of their low performance with using a lot of resources. by the way as i said many websites are based on asp because in the past it was better than php and now changing the basis from asp to php is not an easy work and still there are many peoples thinking that asp is better.

Between ASP and PHP, I would choose PHP because ASP is based on Visual Basic 6 and is considered legacy technology. However, given the choice between PHP and ASP.NET, I would choose ASP.NET for scalability and PHP for low cost. ASP.NET is pretty easy to work with because of the Visual Studio IDE and you can create Windows Services to achieve persistent state information and caching between separate user requests. ASP.NET contractors and component developers are easy to find and several Microsoft backed open source projects are around to build upon, though they aren't as many as you would find with an open source technology.PHP is quite popular in the open source community and you can find IDEs and open source projects to build upon. If you are looking out for an IDE for PHP development, Eclipse and NetBeans are free as well as open source and NuSphere PhpEd is a pretty good commercial IDE. Zend provides an Eclipse based IDE for PHP development too. All of these IDEs provided source control support for SubVersion repositories and you can build or procure plugins for the IDEs to provide added functionality. If you are looking for a web hosting service, you can find services for as cheap as $3 per month, and perhaps even cheaper if you go around bargain hunting.

I am going with php as I haven't yet used asp and php and from what alot of people have said php is more popular I feel will have alot more support therefore making it alot easier than asp, oh well off to go look into asp :)