xisto Community
OpaQue

New Name For Trap17 [resolved] Changing the domain name Trap17.com

is KnowledgeSutra.com a good name?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TBH if you expect People to understand sutra, wouldnt that mean you were focusing on a more Indian public? since im sure not all americans know the meaning of the word in the terms youre trying to portray itBUt just know, you got my backing for whatever you do ( so long you dont close us down :angel: )

From a business standpoint, I think the new one is better; it has no numbers in it, making it look more professional. Personally, though, I like the name Xisto better. As someone else here said, it's more catchy.

I don't know about your plans opaque but i vote for not changing name of Xisto. Like you even i've memories with Xisto as my first host before shifting to Xisto - Web Hosting. I can't forget how many hours and posts i madeto bash :angel: and spent time as no-lifer on Xisto. :PI have no problem with new sutra, maybe you can make that newsutra more of social forum which this forum lacks. Let this forum stay please for some old timers like me. :o My suggestion for new sutra to be separate forum/social networking site(i don't know about design/goal) for that but i have seen some members complaining about Xisto so let new people have new social-network style forum. :D

I don't mind changing the domain name to something else. As long as it delivers the message quickly like "hostingforums" or something like that. BUT, this new name delivered no clear message about the functions of this site at all (to me at least). Most people don't know what sutra means, and you have to admit, newsutra makes it even more confusing.So based on that I think you shouldn't change the domain name. There are many things needing improvement here. Maybe you should start with small things, OQ. I strongly recommend fixing the typos in the category titles for example. And the shoutbox. Can you just reinstall the shoutbox add-on/plug-in/mod if you can't fix it otherwise, please? There have been a lot of requests on that on many threads, so I and maybe some other members assumed that you would fix it because we asked so many times. I know whining isn't going to help, tho. Maybe you're trying to hunt big fish with a small rod, OpaQue? Because I think you should first "finish" this site before making changes on a macro scale.So, I have my own suggestion, how about hostingtrap or trappedhosting? Or something similar, I think you might want to keep the word "trap" because of it's meaning and put something descriptive after or before it. BTW, I call the members trappers, so what I'm going to call them when the new domain is in use? The sutra guys? :angel: :P:D

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Well you know my thoughts about this, and I do hope you go that route and have it as a seperate entity. That way you can develop a new socail commjunity instead of trying to replace an established brand and program.

i think people are missing the point here. the question from the first post AND the poll is geared around the name newsutra and if people like that name or not.the very first sentence in the very first post was very clear to me yet i haven't really seen much discussion on if people like the name.personally, i like the name, but i wouldn't use it for any forums i would create. i love the meaning though. unfortunately, the meaning behind sutra is the only pro i can think of while i can think of at least 5 cons to the name.....at least for a general forum. i haven't voted yet. still thinking about it haha. i think choosing a name takes careful thought and consideration. ESPECIALLY for an already established businessok. i did a little research while writing this reply and i just voted "bad". i am against the idea. it's actually a great name though, but i think it would be better if the name was used for something else. my thinking was not even based on whether i want to personally see a name change or not. one thing about the name though, i think there is another plus besides the meaning. i think it would bring in a more people from an older generation rather than focused on bringing in teenagers if set up the right way. nothing wrong with teenagers, but i would like to see more older people where age groups are more balanced. i think if trap was promoted the right way, this could have already been accomplished though through #'s and more regular members.i still don't know what is going through your head, opaque. i am a bit confused about any vision you may have. you are talking about a name change and that's it.

Nothing is going on in my head apart from what New People coming to this forum think about it and us. Its about the heart begging for a good name for our forums. Like anwii said, he could understand a meaning behind the name and also some cons. But what about the name "Xisto" as it is ?

Nothing is going on in my head apart from what New People coming to this forum think about it and us. Its about the heart begging for a good name for our forums. Like anwii said, he could understand a meaning behind the name and also some cons. But what about the name "Xisto" as it is ?

when i think about a name, it's not all i am thinking about. the meaning is important. the promotion is also important. combining both is VERY important.

it's not just about changing a name because if you build it, it doesn't mean they will come. so if we aren't talking about promotion, then all we are talking about is what the new name will mean to the current members and future members and will it have an impact.

to me, newsutra is more spiritual in nature and doesn't take on a non spiritual aspect so just the name itself without visiting the forums, could be a turnoff when thinking about the name itself and the keyword "sutra" will target a smaller audience. at the same time, the name itself(like i said in a previous post) that it could encourage possibly an older generation or a more mature generation(thought wise).

changing a name where Xisto has already been proven successful just by the search results in google is risky in my opinion and if i owned trap, i wouldn't consider any name change. especially as a starting point for any change. 301's are ok, but for a big forum like this, any new posts wont even rank as well until the new domain is built up in a year or so. so that is something to think about too. so that means advertising revenue on new posts will be lower.

i actually love the name newsutra, but not for a general forum. i even liked Xisto, but it still not something i would have originally chosen but now i am just used to it and it would be sad to see it go.

off topic: if it were me, i would start an advertising blitz on social network sites and as i mentioned in a previous post, some youtube videos. i would run games and contests here to promote it up and encourage activity. SOVIET had the right idea when he started the "wish thread" to promote such activity it died out, but it had to have been the most active thread i had seen in a while...in a no post count category even. i think a chatroom would be good to encourage communication and even more of a community environment where people can get to know eachother on a more personal level. one thing about a community, it's hard to leave it when you get attatched. more mods to monitor things even if it's on a trial basis to see if they can handle the responsibility or a leadership role. that will clear the spam i always see and new users seeing which really downgrade the forum when people have to see certain things and it would make the current mods responsibilites less since there are more people to handle the load. also, a user suggested something in the past that i agree with HIGHLY in that no post should be left unanswered if there is a question involved or a user who wanted to create a discussion. there should be a response within 34-36 hours. if new users come here to post something and see their post was just ignored, they will go somewhere else. i would. there has to be a way to que threads that there is only one post in there and can be updated every 24 hours or so. sometimes posts can easily get lost when there is a surge of activity and the most recent posts get hidden. i would also suggest making it easier for new users to sign up and link accounts. i personally find it confusing and i have been here for a while. new users find it difficult and i believe we lose members who are afraid to ask questions. it's not only confusing, but there is just so much to read for a new user. some of the information that a new user reads is also outdated. nothing is simple and easy and can get confusing. so if we could update the rules, and then write something simple where a user can follow step by step to link to xisto.....and then maybe a frequently asked questions or something just to make it easier for new members.

now back on topic. opaque, you have created something great here. could be better, and it could be worse. the point is, it is something great and i don't think a new name could ever take it's place. as far as it could be better, i think implementing changes like the ones i've mentioned would do more good than any name change. not that a name change couldn't be beneficial, but not without the combination of other changes. this is why i was wondering what your thoughts were and if they just revolved around a name change. again, if i was the owner of a site like yours and was considering a name change, a name change would not be the only thing i would be thinking about. that's just me though....

surely, its been like years and years we got used to Xisto and now you wanna change to what sutra. You guys must be just joking right. We love the name Trpa17.com apart from google to be honest this name is the only other site name that I remeber after the first visit and thats why I returned. I have forgotten shed loads of website names but Xisto has stuck with me since day one. Apart from all that Jibberjabber just think of how much work you've put into building up the name Xisto.com it must be worth a few grand by now and obviously because the name is high traffic, it means that when you creat the new name your traffic will redirect devaluing the Xisto name. because its not like yoou have reached the user top cap or limit and now have to venture into a nuew name to catch the overfill but you are talking about starting a new name as a transfer from the old name meaning Xisto will loose 100% traffic for new sutra to be 100% I hope im not being awkward but guys we loves Xisto just the way it is thats why we come back to it, oh and also for the MyPENNIES thingy majiggy yoiu have going on there. Other wise you lot have done a brilliant job so far.Please dont change to a different name cause Xisto is lush.VIVA trap 17.com/forums

Edited by mandla (see edit history)

HahahThe only reason Xisto Stuck in your min was because the hosting is Phenomenalanyway.... Its anonymous.. we want thing the way we are, change isnt always for the best, alot of people come here for the hosting, not for the discussion, but they get sucked in the discussion and stay, so a name change is irrelevantLets hope that name stays the way it is... but id still join sutra xDDDD

Newsutra.com :What were you thinking?!!At the first look , i said like : newsutra , it's spelled like kamasutra , so obviously it'll be a sex related forum , then i know that ;NO you wanna change the domain name of this forums from Xisto * A cool name actually* to Newsutra *Hmmm i don't know if people agree with me but it sounds like kamasutra=sex *.Sorry if i'll offense you but if you wanna give it a bad name ; you can always name it Trash17 :angel:And If you want people to trust a website names newsutra ....you can always dream but :No chance!!Let's speak a little bit about SEO ; it'll take you months and months to make a good position of your new domain name in major search engines , and to drive traffic to it ,i'm not speakin about the tons of backlinks that you'll lost!!Wanna change the domain name : take a good breath and think AGAIN !!

Thank you guys.. I think Again.

Now the new name is : knowledgeSutra.com

Please give this one more thought?

Until i briefly think about something to say about teh new name
Ill say the first thing that popped in my head

Too long

Well said :angel: and agreed..

Face it, no one wants the name changed. as suggested you could make a new branch and keep Xisto the way it is.

Knowledgesutra is much better, but still kinda off to me. Maybe you could somehow relate it with hosting? Because most people come here for hosting. To the regulars the names doesn't and shouldn't matter, because they're not here for the name. Another thing I might want to add is that do you have to keep sutra in the domain? Yea it gets stuck in your mind but I'm afraid that'll only be for the sutra part. How about knowledgehost or knowhost? knowforum? knowsutra?!