xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Do You Like French Language?

hi, i entered this section thinking only of one of my favorite languages which is french language. now, do you love speaking french language, do you love to learn it?

what do you think of it as a foreign language?

do you live France? Pairs? arc de triomphe? tour eiffel? champs elysees?

for who didn't have any idea here is some information about France.

french language called fran?ais, it has been called as a romance language. Paris is the city of romance and lovers. fran?ais is globally spoken by about 110 million people who speak french as first language and about 190 million who speak french as second language and additional 200 million speak it as acquired foreign language.

to me, learning second language is very very important, for children and for adults. it expand their vision and make them gain new experiences.

Hi web_designer! I was hoping we would get to know you with a name rather than your occupation, but you have the choice to remain anonymous, nevertheless.I don't speak French beyond the simple, "Vous parlez Francais," "Merci bohkoo," and "Pass zee French fries, messieur. My beret is preventing me from reaching out to zee fries in zee cafe." Okay, okay, so the last one isn't French and is a statement based on stereotypes formed about the French.While I would love to learn French, I haven't seem to have had the determination to go on beyond a few minutes of looking at the phrases. The romantic language of love and sweetness is beyond my reach and would take a leviathan effort on my part to reach out and be touched by the language.Ludwig Wittgenstein once said that knowing another language is like knowing another world. Wittgenstein was popular for his philosophy and was often criticized for his statement that there are no philosophical problems and that all of the problems in philosophy arise from language. An example that Wittgenstein uses is that we, as humans, cannot understand the language of a lion. Even if we did get an interpreter to translate the language of a lion, we would have no idea what it means because we do not understand the life of a lion enough to be able to make sense of its language.Language is a means to think and to express meaning. Jacques Lacan, a popular psychoanalyst, mentions that language is what gives structure to our thoughts. If it weren't for language, our behavior would have been no less predictable than that of animals. It is because of language that we are able to reason, think, and act in the manner that we, humans, do. If an animal had language beyond simple communication by sounds and gestures, they would perhaps have been just as capable of telling that the delivery truck arrives every Wednesday to deliver the mail or that there are nine more months to Christmas.Philosophers have tried to what it is about language that makes us all so confused. It is because the statement, "Mary had a little lamb," can mean one of several different things. It can either mean that Mary conned an innocent person and has cheated him or her of something, with the understanding that "had" represented "cheated" in this case, or it could be taken in the common sense that Mary possessed or owned a small lamb. The word "had" can also be used to say "gave birth to", so if Mary was the name of an older lamb, the statement could mean that Mary gave birth to a baby lamb. Now, if Mary was hungry, she could have cooked and eaten the lamb and thus "had" can be used to express "eaten", as in, "Did you have lunch?" With a single statement that has at least four different meaning, how are we to understand theories that were expressed by philosophers and scientists of the past and therefore how can we even make any sense of the many scientific theories that are stated in our schools' text books and the universities' libraries? How do we ensure that we correctly interpret a newspaper headline, especially when the journalists try to play upon the words to make the headlines sound more attention-getting in an attempt to increase the newspaper's viewership?A language is also an embodiment of another society's beliefs and assumptions. If I were to say in English the statement, "pardon my French," it does not indicate that I speak any French at all, and it does not mean that I have attempted to state anything in French, but rather is a means of conveying an apology for the use of impolite language within an English sentence. The phrase, or rather the expression, conveys a discontentment that the English (I am not referring to the language, but rather am referring to the people of England or Great Britain) historically had for the French (I am referring to the people of France and not the language spoken in France). Learning the English language would give one the perceptions, emotions, feelings, and expressions that are incorporated into the language.Finally, learning another language enables one to read and comprehend a whole different body of literature that lies in libraries that we hardly ever go to for the simple reason that we do not understand the language. Think of all of the movie torrents that are on the Internet. Have you ever wished that you spoke Swedish, French, or Spanish so you could download a torrent of a new and overly-hyped film but the only language that the film was available in was a language that you did not speak or understand? Understanding another language can also help one to understand the literary expressions, the poetic stanzas that lose their meaning when translated to another language - hence the phrase, "lost in translation".I definitely will make an effort to learn the French language again, but in another time and perhaps in another place for my circumstances do not permit me to take the time and effort out of my daily life to dedicate to learning French at the moment with a full time job and courses at school.

wow, great article, i am calling it article not reply because it is really a full critical article of the philosophy of languages, i have to admit that i enjoyed reading every word of it. even it develop my English language, as you can see english is not my mother language. but i love English so much, most of my talking is in English, most of my work too. now i am studding for TOEFL exam, i hope i can get a high score. wish me good luck.about french language, i agree with you. get a job, family responsiblty, taking more courses...ect. all of these are reasons avoid one from do what he like, as learning french for example. but i am sure when you will finish building your future, making all your dreams come true, you will have the time to do what you love and maybe learn french.about me, i love to know more about people here, in the same time, i want all of you here to know me too. you can see my profile or my website. for more, i will tell you how i learned french language. my french language started from high school. i studied french in high school for 6 years. i loved it a lot and always got high score in french. after i graduate from college, i entered the cultural center of french language and i joined advanced classes for two months. the years later, i was keeing listening to french songs , reading articles, even in my work i was translating topics to french for the website of our company. at last i decided to entered the DELF exam , it is an exam for francophonie (french speakers called francophonies) student that is similar to TOEFL, in four levels, each level represent which skills in french language do you have. and i am proud to say that i finished three levels. now , i have 3 certificates from the ministry of higher education in France. i hope the next year or after i can pass the last one.however, i always feel that my English language is more better than french. because i talk English more than french, most of the songs that i listen are in English. my work foreced me to talk in English all the time but rarely in french. but i will still hope to be good in both of them. wish me good luck.

Do not even get me started with the French language... I have a bad history with French that dates back to my freshman year of high school when I decided it would be a good idea to pick French as my foreign language choice. (In my high school, we were given the option of choosing one of four different languages in which we would like to go into. The choices were: French, German, Spanish, and Japanese.) For me, I decided that it would be good I went into French because I thought it would be the easiest choice out of the four. Stupidly enough, it was not and even it was easy that really is not a good premises to decide on what class to choose. You should pick a class because you are interested in what is be taught and not because you are trying to get an easy A. That is beside the point, anyway, and so my first year of French began.

It started out relatively easy. We went through the alphabet and began learning how to say things like "Je suis. Tu Es, Il est, ect." I was understanding most of things we were doing and my grade was an A. I was beginning to think that maybe French was as easy as I thought and that it was a good decision. So my freshman year ended and then it was time for us to decide on classes for the next school year. I decided to pick French so I could get more fluent in it and because my first year was so great that it just made sense to take it for a second year. Anyway, the second year was TOTALLY different. We had a new teacher, who was not as nice or good at teaching as the first one. She really would be in a pissy moods and take our her anger on the students. Now, sometimes kids screw around and the teachers get angry which is 100% acceptable, but in all these instances we never did anything. In fact, my French 2 class was made up of roughly 10 students who were extremely shy and introvert. Anyway, so as the semester progressed, most of us all had D's. My parents were called in for conferences and that is when the teacher told my parents that I was lazy and had no determination at all. She told me that I would eventually fail unless I got my "act" together.

All of this was total BS. I did all my work in that class, but when it came to her tests she would put things on there that we never went over. Some of them included "What is the delicacy of France." "What time system is France in." They were all questions like that which would've been easily answered by me had we gone over them. To make matters worse, my parents believed all the bull crap that the teacher had told them and they insisted that I begin studying 24_7 for this class so I would avoid failing. So, I did as they wished and began studying as much as I can. I would literally study for 8-11 every night and my French was becoming better and better. I soon was able to increase my D to a B and then was offered to go into French Honors. This is where the story gets worse. I did not want to take French Honors. I was satisfied that I was able to achieve a B in that class and going into French Honors, with the same teacher I might add, was not something I wanted to get my self into. BUT, my parents assured me if I studied I would do fine and they wanted me to get into some honors classes before I graduated.

So, my junior of year of high school came and here I was in French 3 Honors. Thinks seemed to have gotten better when I started out in the class, but then things turned for the worse one day in class. I was talking to a girl behind me (who was pretty hot :angel:) and the teacher was in the middle of a lesson. My teacher didn't ask me to stop and allowed me to continue talking, but this was all apart of a bigger plot. She then proceeded to tell me to leave her class and that I was not allowed to go back the entire week. I was shocked, but I thought that all of this was her speaking in anger and I returned to class the very next day. When I was going into the classroom, approaching my desk she pointed and me and said NO. She asked me to leave and said that I was not allowed to come back to class until next Monday. I thought this was more than ridiculous, but she obviously didn't and I was forced to follow her commands. When Monday came along, I was so far behind in that class that I ended up failing the semester. It brought my GPA so low that I was not able to recover (Good thing it was an honors class.) French class was probably the WORST experience of my young life and it really as ruined the language of French for me forever.

oh, spyda, i am so sorry for you. sure , it was like a nightmare. the worst thing ever that you should face a teacher that you hate for the whole semester or the whole year. thanks god i didn't been hated by a teacher before but i was hating physiques, it was so hard to finish the year without getting a D. unlike, french i finished my six years with A and i can assure you most of that because i loved the french language, my teachers for the whole six years were great, i love them all till now. i think teachers inspired students to love or to hate the class, they are the key to success in many ways.

oh, spyda, i am so sorry for you. sure , it was like a nightmare. the worst thing ever that you should face a teacher that you hate for the whole semester or the whole year. thanks god i didn't been hated by a teacher before but i was hating physiques, it was so hard to finish the year without getting a D. unlike, french i finished my six years with A and i can assure you most of that because i loved the french language, my teachers for the whole six years were great, i love them all till now. i think teachers inspired students to love or to hate the class, they are the key to success in many ways.

Oh yeah most definitely. French is a great language if taught correctly, just in my instance the whole class just made me not want to learn about French nor expand on the "limited knowldege" I had gained through my 3 years of it (I didn't take it my senior year, thank God.) :angel:

I like France and Paris, I have learned little france in my university.I have learned myself in my spare time but the program is slow. Sometimes I feel exhausted to learn that. Any good suggestions? I hope one day I could visit Paris myself.

I like France and Paris, I have learned little france in my university.I have learned myself in my spare time but the program is slow. Sometimes I feel exhausted to learn that. Any good suggestions? I hope one day I could visit Paris myself.

traveling to France is my dream too. i hope i can do it someday. to learn french there are two ways:
the hard way, by beginning from the alphabet but you will have the bascis and grammars, and the easy way, by learning words after that learning grammars. in your case, because you have already a background about french language suggest you the second way. these are some useful links

http://www.transparent.com/learn-french/
http://www.jump-gate.com/languages/french/
https://frenchassistant.com/

another great way, download french songs in your pc or mobile and listen a lot you will be familiar with the words.
good luck.

I've done basics in french and I thouroughly enjoyed learning it as the professor i had was amazing. I never thought i would actually learn french as my fascination was always towards Spanish. And when i got the opportunity to learn french instead of Spanish i never really took it so seriously but after the second chapter I started falling in love with this language and I am planning to study further and enhance my skills in this language.

i loved learning french in school but i forgot it all the next day i don't know one word of a foreign language because i don't need toi ain't going to come across a french person very easy but if i did they would have to speak english or write in english,but french is lovely language, and the french people are great.

I live in India and one European language that is widely used is English. Though now with globalisation of the economy, many of the aspirants are turning to the linguistic trainings provided by the various universities. Given a chance, I would love to go for learning French and add to my interest of learning languages.