xisto Community
AndroKing

Hometown best and worst features of your hometown

Berlin,what can I say about Berlin?
It is like New York City just in german. *haha*

You can do like everything in Berlin.
We have tons of good skateboarding spots for the Skate-Travelers between us.
Check out "Warschauer Bänke" (near "Warschauer Straße" the SBahn Station).
You will meet there some Berlin Professionals.

How about party?
If you can not really speak german, try out the YAAM, it is brilliant.
Culture from around the world.
Food from around the world and best Reggea/Dub/Dancehall from overall.
Or check out the Magnet (Motor Club).

If you just want to hang out, maybe take a little pause in fron of the "Reichstag" you can chill at the huge park.

The worst things over here are these wannabe "Gangster", they listen loud music everywhere and interupt a nice chill out.
*haha*
The crime rate over here is pretty low.
And for everyone who is still with their heads in the history.
New York City has way more Skins & Nazis than Berlin.
So relax.

SPECIAL TIP:
If you want the best day in Berlin,
go to the "Mauerpark"
1 reason: It may will be builded office towers on it soon (damn)
2 reason: You have peoples from all over here
3 reason: HUGE place and friendly persons

Just come to berlin.

Visit Berlin.
Love Berlin.
Be Berlin.

I love Berlin! I'm learning German at GCSE level, and have quite a few German friends so I've been all over. I found Munich a little too historical and dull, and Hamburg was alright (even though there was literally nothing but shops and harbours), but Berlin was one of my favourite cities!
You've described it perfectly. When I was there I visited a huge music shop by the 'lipstick' (a bombed cathedral from WW2) and on my way out I passed by 20 kids doing kickflips in the middle of a square.. ;)
The food was also pretty good, particularly the 'Asia' food halls (slightly vague name seeing as Indian Curries were on the menus next to Pad Thai and Sushi). One thing I didn't like was the British food though, I believe Germany has yet to master the 'fish and chips' we have in London. With that said, I now have a craving for more Currywurst: particularly the dirt cheap stuff you can get at Kiosks all over the city. Delicious!

Anyway, if I play my cards right and get chummy with the guy who took me over I hope to visit Berlin within the next few months

I love small towns. That is providing I don?t actually have to live ?in? town, I could never handle that. I want to be out in the country with no close neighbors watching over me, or complaining about the dogs barking. I just want the town to be near by so when I need something it isn?t a major drive to go run errands. There are some distinct advantages to being in a small town where everybody knows you. Having a ?reputation? can be a good thing. If you don?t like people messing with you and you take steps to protect yourself, like shooting at intruders, people get the message really quick to leave you the hell alone. It?s really wonderful. ;) The only down side I can see is when you need to purchase something other than normal weekly supplies, like car or tractor parts or building supplies, it nearly always means a trip to the big city.

I love Berlin! I'm learning German at GCSE level, and have quite a few German friends so I've been all over. I found Munich a little too historical and dull, and Hamburg was alright (even though there was literally nothing but shops and harbours), but Berlin was one of my favourite cities!You've described it perfectly. When I was there I visited a huge music shop by the 'lipstick' (a bombed cathedral from WW2) and on my way out I passed by 20 kids doing kickflips in the middle of a square.. ;)
The food was also pretty good, particularly the 'Asia' food halls (slightly vague name seeing as Indian Curries were on the menus next to Pad Thai and Sushi). One thing I didn't like was the British food though, I believe Germany has yet to master the 'fish and chips' we have in London. With that said, I now have a craving for more Currywurst: particularly the dirt cheap stuff you can get at Kiosks all over the city. Delicious!

Anyway, if I play my cards right and get chummy with the guy who took me over I hope to visit Berlin within the next few months

I have always wanted to visit Berlin. Maybe one day I will get the time and money to do so ;) Is it relatively easy to learn German?

I don't really love anything about my home town, its just home. Its funny though how other people love my city and claim that there is so much to do here, and I guess that feel that way because they live in the country side where it is really dull and dry. Our local government have shut down a lot of the clubs, and outside of that there is really no accessible fun and entertainment unless you are willing to drive a whole lot of miles in order to get to the other part of town to bowl or something.

The best thing about your hometown is that YOU were born there. Nothing is worst about the hometown because it happens to be your hometown. The one thing you would never want to change about that town is its place in history. And finally my home town is Madurai in the State of Tamil Nadu, India. A beautiful city with sri Meenakshi Temple in the Centre and all the streets and the roads are on all the four signs North, East, West and South just like NEWS. The City is one of the oldest in Tamil Nadu and the Meenakshi Temple is also the oldest. The City is also called "Thoonga Nagaram" in Tamil meaning "City without sleep" and it is really true. You can get whatever you want in the City 24 hours seven days in a week. The Iddlie with different chutnies are available throughout the night. {/quote)

My home town is Bredene, situated at the Flemish coast, next to Ostend.

It is the town where I was born, at home, like all six of us (Mum had none of us at a hospital, all six children were delivered at home by a visiting midwife).

The town has three main areas:

The part referred to as "The Village", a very rural and formerly agricultural part of town.

The seaside part, referred to as "The Dunes", which is the "tourist" part of the town

The part which forms the link between Bredene and Ostend, referred to as "The Dock", which was the more "industrial" part of the town.

I am from the village part, as said before, a formerly very rural, rustic area where the predominant source of income was agriculture.

It used to be a very romantic place when I was a child, you had a car going through the main street once about every 5 to 10 minutes, and everyone knew everyone in the community.

I remember my parents telling me how they, just having moved from the bigger city of Ostend, often got annoyed when the inhabitants of Bredene, whom hey obviously did not know yet, all said hello to them when they saw them in the street, something which never happened in bigger cities, so, my parents often thought they were making fun of them.

There were also some lovely old little houses in the village, situated around the central village church of St. Richard (where I became the organist later), and lots of shops and pubs (supermarkets were unheard of in those days).

Every year in September and May, we used to have a fun fair in the village, great fun for the kids, and there was also the tradition of "fun fair Monday", the first Monday of the fun fair, when the local business people went round the pubs and treated their customers to drinks.

There were also two schools in the town, the Catholic School, founded by an order of nuns, and the secular school, ran by the town council.

Like I said, everything was quite romantic, there was business going on, but bit by bit, things began to change:

Lots of the agricultural land were claimed by the town council and bought of the owners to be used as building land, and whole areas, which used to have grazing cows on them, now made room for whole modern villa areas, and many people from the nearby city of Ostend built their house and moved into Bredene.

One after one, the shops began to close, due to the pressure of the, much cheaper, supermarkets in Ostend, which was only a short bus or car ride away (even public transport had been improved and extended a lot. Where you could take about one bus every one and a half or two hours, or face quite a walk to get to a bus stop with more frequent buses, the bus traffic had now become more regular).

Also the pubs began to close one after one, partly due to the fact that the lesser financial times began to announce themselves slightly in the 70s and people could not afford to go to the pub as regularly as they used to.

I still remember, on hot summer evenings, when all the neighbours were sat outside their doors talking, until one of them got the brilliant idea to say to the neighbours: "real thirsty weather, isn't it?", to which they obviously all agreed, so everyone barged into the pub two doors away and quenched their thirst until the landlord practically cursed them to go home and let him go to bed.

It was also the time when there was no full-blown police force as such in the town, only a rural policeman, patrolling on his push bike, who often joined the villagers in the pub during his duty.

They say times change, but is it always for the better??

While Bredene has now become a modern town, most of the romantic looks and times I used to know as a child are now gone forever.

Well talking about hometown is something which is truly near and dear to anyone and everyone. As far as my upbringing is concerned its not at all in a big metro city.You can just say that I am a small town girl.Its Barrackpore in West Bengal,India.But yes the connectivity to proper Kolkata was truly nice. Its just 45 minutes by train.My neighborhood did consist of a typical middle class family background where you can easily find joined families encompassing around you.But mine was a little different.Since my parents used to work under Indian Air Force,we had chosen Barrackpore to build up our house and stay there which was near to my parent's office.Only my maternal grandmother used to stay along with us as my mother was the sole child of her parents. The same holds true for me also.As I had no other brothers and sisters so my grandmother used to fill up that empty space for me.She was my guardian as my parents had to go out early morning to match up with the early office timings on one hand. On the other she was my story telling grandma and also she was my peer like as I used to fight with her if things didn't go well with us.Her stories used to take me to Dhaka,capital of Bangladesh which was again her birthplace.Her family migrated from there post independence or may be a little bit early when actually Hindu Muslim quarrels started taking place regarding division issues.Piece of lands get easily divided amongst us but when you put your mind and heart on something its very difficult to get yourself away from there. Since she grew up there,spent childhood there it was truly difficult for her forget those sweet memories of her upbringing in Bangladesh.Otherwise she traveled a lot along with her husband. But her stories were mainly Bangladesh centric.My schooling again was something truly special as my school was inside the premises of 6 wing Air Force unit,Barrackpore,a truly prohibited area from outside.But inside it was a true fun to be there.When we used to recite the morning prayers in our nursery school planes used to fly just above our head.Just besides our school premises planes used to take off and land.Children usually bear an innate craze for watching planes and they satisfy themselves by buying some different models of planes but I used to watch them live.Although I spent about a lapse of 23-24 yrs in Bengal itself but only due to my school I witnessed a true multicultural and multilinguistic environment getting glimpses of almost every culture existing in our country.Our inter house competitions used to bring forward Folk music and folk dance from almost every corner of our country- Assamese, Kashmiri, Gujarati,Marathi,Bengali,South Indian,Rajasthani.My school friends belonged to various parts of our country and different religions too.So my school kept intact the true Indian ethics of secularism.

My hometown is called Hermosa. Its name, meaning "beautiful", came from the Spaniards who came to our country hundreds of years before. It's a rural area in the province of Bataan but is pretty near to the city. It takes two hours to go to the city by car, but it only takes 30 minutes by ship. It's a pretty large municipality with approximately 52,500 people living there. It's getting more and more industrial now. It is composed of 23 villages. The village where I lived is called Palihan. In that village, there is a street where most of my grandmother's (my mom's mother) relatives live. The name of the street was also based on the name of my grandma's dad since they bought that whole street. :D My great grandfather divided the land into four equal parts since he had four children. Then when his children married and had kids, they divided the land again. :lol: My grandma has 6 children -- three boys and three girls. When my mom married dad, they stayed at my grandma's house first. Then, I was born and my sister followed me after two years. Dad went overseas to work. From his earnings, they decided to build a house on my mom's part (the land from my grandma).

Not so long, Aunt X (let's call her "X") married too. They lived at my grandma's house and had two kids. Seven years after they got married, their house was finally built. Several years after, Uncle Y and Aunt Z married too.

Playing outdoor games, going to our neighbors' houses, running as fast as we can, shouting so loud when we're the victors, getting so pissed when we're the losers... it was fun... really really fun.

The air is really fresh since there are lots of trees there. The houses vary in sizes. Going out to go to other houses or to take a walk is everyone's daily routine that's why I know most of the people living in that area. I'm not really close to all especially to those people who are not related to us by blood, but I know most of their faces.

What I don't like about my hometown are those people who keep on spreading and spreading rumors and wrong assumptions about someone else's life. <_< I mean, why gossip someone? It's not like they get something good from that. Moreover, they just make someone look bad. Instead of gossiping, why not just do something better? :P

But I guess I can't do anything about that. Gossips can't be avoided wherever you go.

If there's a bad side, of course there's a good side too... ^_^

I remember that time when I locked our house with the key inside. :lol: Everyone's out and I'm the only one left so I decided to go to where my mom is. I thought my mom had the key so I just locked the whole house. Then when I met her, she asked me if I locked it and I said 'Yes. The key's with you, right?". Then we went back to our house to find a way to get the key. Just a few minutes after, many neighbors came to help. :D When I was 4 years old, I asked my dad to make a swing for us. While my dad was making a swing for us, some uncles (my grandma's sibling's sons) came to help him do it. This is what I love the most in my hometown. :) Most people don't mind lending hands to those in need. Even if there are busy bodies spreading gossips, there are also those busy bodies helping others. ;) I don't want this to change.

But due to some issues, we decided to move in the city. During the holidays or vacations, we come and visit my hometown. :) I miss living there but due to some family reasons and some promises I made with my friends here in the city, I think it's better to stay here. ^_^ But still, I love my hometown. :D

Edited by xChellesei (see edit history)

One thing that I love about my hometown:well i have lived in quite a few places all over NI but my hometown always has to be the one i was born in Belfastthe things i hate about it is the Media Coverage it gets only when there is trouble and nothing good.i love best about it is family and when you come down to it you see the cranes in the distance its a Beautful sight and the mountains i know it is not a big thing but it is a Beautful place, i love the history about the city that we built the titanic and alot of other ships it makes me proud even though the ship sank it was lovely when it left, and even though i have lived away from belfast for a few years i can't help thinking about it now and again and my childhood years.

Well, I was born in a town in the northeastern part of India, Guwahati, I got my education completed and started to pursue my career at the same place. Now I am miles away from my place and staying in a city called Mumbai, which has a considerably different way of living, nevertheless I am busy working here too.The position that one's hometown occupies in life is special. In my case, I often dream of the incidents that took place in my childhood like playing with all my cousins, going for swings in the park, listening to the chirping of the birds while waiting for the school bus to pick me up or simply spending time with my family. I really miss being there since it has been quite some time that I have been there, however I hope to visit my hometown soon and relive all the memories.

One of the best things that I love about my hometown:I love the way people are keen on greeting and caring for each otherOne of the worst things I cannot stand about my hometown:I hate it when that caring goes off limits and leaves you no privacyOne one thing I would never want to change about that town:The old houses, roads and shops. But that changed a lot with a false modernization

My home town? Let me edit the question to where it applies more towards me. "What do you like most about your city? ......." I don't really live in a town. I live out in "the sticks".

What I like most? I'm not sure. I will choose the terrain. I'm surrounded by trees and hills. I can sit here and watch a news station's interactive radar during a storm. It's like, "oh my God! It's coming right at us!" But as it gets nearer, it starts breaking apart and goes completely around us. And heavy winds? Knock on wood (no pun intended), the trees surrounding us slows the wind down some. The trailer we used to live in, about 100 feet away, over fifteen years old and still standing on it's cinder blocks.

What I don't like, the places to go. If you live here for over five years, you run out of places to go. Movies? Been there. Parks? I live about 20 minutes from one; been there repeatedly. Food? Eaten it all.

What I wouldn't change? Size. We was originally planned on being a big city. There're truck weigh stations about a mile from my house (in a direct line). The interstates are three laned. There are three interstate exits with my city labeled on them. Yet half of us live on food stamps. But our size has a large possibility of changing. They're currently planning on sending 66 through here. And if/when they do, there will be an exit just a few minutes from my house.

Where am I? Laurel Co. Kentucky, USA

I love hearing about all your Hometowns the one from NNNOOOOOO made me think of an American Movie with kids running around I do not know if that is what your Home town is like but you painted that picture for me. well great to hear about all the places you are from.