xisto Community
Jonnyabc

Computer Addicts Anonymous We know who you are

Computer Addicts  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's unfortunate, but the computer is a very, very distracting tool in today's world. Many of us believe that it is supposed to improve our lives and help us with our jobs, but we are beginning to find out that many people are so addicted to computers (myself included) that we sit around all day and don't do anything else. This includes doing chores and meeting up with people face-to-face instead of the occasional "lol" on Facebook. In exchange for his added assistance in the workplace, people get fired everyday for using business hours to conduct personal affairs.What is worse is the fact that we can't even walk outside and get away from it. More than likely you at least bring the cell phone with you--just in case you need it, because you never know when you might need to reply to an urgent email message. Unless your job is to de-arm bombs, it's probably not going to be a life threatening ordeal to leave your cell at home. Nevertheless, we feel almost naked without some form of technology in front of us, in our hand, in our pocket, on our ears, etc. Fortunately, I can't afford to pay $80 a month for a $300 Blackberry or iPhone just yet...my time will come.Take it from yours truly, a computer addict. I've always been fascinated by computers, and that is why I have gone to college to obtain my degree in Database and Web Management...does that make me a computer addict by itself? Most certainly not! But the time I spend day after day on the computer would indicate that I spend less than 3 hours on average in the waking day away from a computer. And that does not include my MP3 player that I plug into my car or ear buds. If I could skip sleep, I would be at my computer an additional 6-8 hours as well.One thing I find interesting is my desire to always want something different. I will play a game consistently for a month, do well, and then for no reason, stop playing it for another six months. The same is true with Facebook, and dare I say Xisto (someday I will lose the desire to post here for awhile, unless I have an earnest need in order so that my site can stay maintained). Many people bring up internet addiction, but I will state that this is not the same as computer addiction...only part of the entire picture. On top of the internet, some people are addicted to video games (not online flash games) that eat up a lot of resources. You can tell a video game addict when they purchase a new graphics card or something else to boost their PC every other month or so to keep up with the latest and greatest speed and graphics. Once again, something I fortunately cannot afford (my external video game systems are still the original Nintendo and Sega Genesis, both donated to me free from two of my cousins).Aside from games (both internet and PC), we're also addicted to certain brand names or media software. Right now I am running Firefox, Word, and Audacity (free audio software). I use Firefox explicitly as my browser, Microsoft Office for most if not all of my documents. Like I said before, I become an addict at one thing for awhile...Audacity seems to be it at the moment. Some of us computer geeks may have a need to test out either new hardware or software technologies. I cannot speak for hardware as much as software; being partial to programming languages, whether application (Visual BASIC), web (XHTML/CSS/JavaScript/PHP) or database (mySQL/Oracle), I am easily addicted to creating new projects (even if they don't get carried all the way through).So what can I do? Throw technology out the window? Doesn't work when it's your career. Is having a computer addiction a bad thing? Not necessarily, but like everything, take it in moderation. I'd venture to say Einstein was addicted to science, considering that he was trying to figure out the formula to "everything" even when lying on his deathbed; but look what his accomplishments has been able to do for us? Although it maybe somewhat unfounded, he likely assisted in the making of computers so that we have yet another addiction...no offense to him by any means.So there we have it...the day and the life of an addict. Could I live a life without a computer? Certainly! In this day and age? Certainly not!This is "01001010 01101111 01101110 01101110 01111001 01100001 01100010 01100011", signing off.

I was once a computer addict. I wasted all my junior high years on the computer. I was addicted to video games, chatting, etc. I was attached to the computer and know it or not, my attitude become more aggressive over time. I was completely ignorant of what was going around too. I did not listen to my body. I did not know if I was hungry until my parents told me to get off the computer. After I got off of the computer, I would start munching on snacks not knowingly. I did not notice this until a few weeks later when my parents saw that I was always hungry right after I went off the computer. I would eventually get a bladder problem because I never get up to use the restroom.It is different now for some reason. I can get off the computer whenever I want. I have had more self control than ever. I think the main reason for this is that I have gotten bored of all of the MMORPG's on the internet. I just can't DL one and play it for more than a few hours. I only go on the computer for about 1-2 hours now. On my "off time", I will usually be found at my friend's house or just out of the house in general. I started this transition ever since I have entered high school. I have been given more freedom so I take it and use it.I have learned a lot in the past years I was addicted to computers though. I learned a little bit of C++ and scripting languages like AutoIT3. When I was in fifth grade, I started hacking a game called Maplestory and in 6th grade, I developed my own script to hack Neopets. I learned to use it with my music in 7th and 8th grade when I used FL Studio and Cubase to record some of my music.The computer is still very distracting, however, even with my more improved "self-control". When I am doing homework, I always find a way to use the computer to help me complete my homework. I get no where with this. I always end up getting carried away on facebook or doing something else.I think the problem for most people is self-control. They can't get off the computer when they need to. Parents will limit the time on which their children will be allowed to be on the computer but once the kid moves out, parents will not be there anymore. Computers are fascinating and fun so people use them. I really think that it is also about the person's upbringing also. If kids are open to lots of outdoor and fun activities, they are less likely to become addicted to computers. This is why parents should be more lenient about letting their kid go to their friend's house or go out.

God, I am an internet addict.Right now I am. I love the internet, I haven't gotten my fill.I'm going to college soon though, and I am very addicted to researching and learning more so that's really good in my opinion.I love being an internet addict I honestly think my mind has opened up and I'm way smarter, but I'm not entirely sure about that lol.

I think I'm an Internet Addict too, but not such that I need special treatment, it seems that everything is done with a computer these days.I study Engineering Informatics which has a lot to do with computers, I work as a programmer/developer and etc. so it requires me to be near a computer, I come home I also spend my time on a computer :)I guess when I'm out somewhere, I'm not using it, but I'm just glad that I'm not spending time playing games, even though in the youth I used to play a lot of computers games :)It's good that at least I'm going to the gym at least two times a week, even though on summer I'm much more into sports, it's winter know, and there seems to be a lot of snow, but skying seems not to be my cup of tea.It sometimes scares me to think how computers started to control us :D What were people doing in the past? Dancing? Reading.. I guess we don't read as much books as we used to in the past. :(

Firstly, I said that I was addicted to my computer but that I could give it up if I had to - but the reason would need to be pretty compelling! My laptop provides two primary function functions to me: work and recreation. I find my laptop an invaluable tool in conducting and furthering my degree studies (I am now fully expectant of the "we didnt have computers in my day" retort and I have considered it and all I can say is fair play!) the point is I don't think I could go without my laptop for work. I also use it extensively for leisure (I easily spend 10 hours a day on my laptop) from the moment I wake up in bed (now) to watching/listening to something in bed (later) I'll pretty much be on my laptop all day. As to the question as to whether I could give it up I genuinely believe I could (despite chronic boredom) if I had a good enough reason to. As it stands I think my laptop greatly enriches my life and the fact I spend a bit too much time on it isn't a major concern to me.

Hi!I'm kay-underscore-nitin-underscore-are (my username) and I'm an addict. Okay, so that sounds very cliche, but as they say, the first step to dealing with an addiction is to admit that one has an addiction. It's something that most people are pretty comfortable with admitting, compared to people who are addicted to narcotics, alcohol, or even rings... yes, that little dude, Smeagle (did I spell it right?), from the Lord of the Rings was apparently addicted to a ring with an unusual pattern along the center.There are times when I spend hours playing computer games or posting to social networking sites and Internet forums (ummm... I'm doing this right now) though I often spend time chatting as well, with Google Talk being the network I'm on most of the time. I would like to make the argument that I don't have anything of value to do while at the computer, but I use the computer for course work and for teaching myself new stuff, such as a new programming language, or acquainting myself with a software library, or just plain reading of open-source code to admire the beauty of the structure and the programming style followed by it.At the end of the day, while I'm off to bed, I use the computer to play some music instead of an MP3 media player because I've got all of my stuff on an external USB hard drive and I can't use the MP3 player to browse through it an pick what I want to listen to. Oh, and I don't worry about breaking my computer because I simply disable the sleep on closing lid feature, shut the laptop with the music still playing, and I slide it underneath the bed. The next morning, I find the laptop in hibernation mode (see, I'm eco-friendly too!!) and I just push the power switch to get it back online and I check my email before heading off from my room... carrying the computer along, of course.I do spend some time away from the computer though. While I'm out, I've got a PDA to do stuff on while waiting on the traffic light to turn green... some of them take three whole minutes (yes, I used the stop watch on the PDA to figure that out).Anyway, without much more to share, I'd love to hear what some of you are doing to get over the addiction. Perhaps it involves getting close to nature and camping in the woods without a laptop or a PDA? You would need a cell phone to make emergency calls though.

To be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong to be an internet addictI guess i goto a ton of sites, and never shut my net off now that I think about it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.I mean I'm an internet addict, and I guess I'm proud of it :angel:

I don't think there's anything wrong with being on the computer a lot or anything. I mean look at what is happening around all of us. Everything is turning towards computers. Lots of jobs deal with computers. I mean our world is just turning into one whole computer. :angel:

I am addicted and it kills me because I keep getting distracted from homework causing me to not finish it. Also, I think I spend way to much time on the computer depriving me of the life I should be living. I go on the computer around 4 hours a day. I would say that 1-2 hour should be the limit for teenagers my age. We should be focusing more on school (since I am taking all honors/AP classes).I think it is wrong if you aren't using the computer productively. If you waste away time on computer games, then your addiction is probably a bad thing. I believe that it is okay to be able to play games if you are bored or for leisure but make sure you do not over do it. Set limits for yourself and follow them.My method of setting limits for myself involves 30 minutes of cardio, 150 pushups, and 150 crunches before I get on the computer for anything else other than homework. That way, I will at least stay healthier by keeping up with my daily exercise. If I was to exercise after I got off of the computer then I probably would never get it done. I can't spoil myself with dessert before dinner or I will get full (extended metaphor).

it is sad that the computer is so much a part of modern life (work, school, etc) so that if you are addicted the only way to break the addiction is NOT to use a computer...ever...a drug addict cannot take drugs and get better. There are times when narcotics may be medically necessary, and this is a struggle for a recovering addict to only take as directed and not to get high..and more often than not leads to relapse. There is no "computers anonymous" program readily available to people. it took many years and years for AA and NA to spread from California to anywhere else. The studies show that the brain changes are similar in computer addicts to drug and alcohol abusers, causing the same problems.. completely unmanageable lives...poor decision making, self-neglect, not feeling, not living life without a mind-altering "substance/computer"...and the ends still can be the same...jails, institutions, and death. I am related to a computer addict and those ends have been real and or potential all because of computer addiction. A real computer addict will probably get aggressive and/or extremely depressed if their computer is taken away. i have seen it...thus the same "ends" that await drug addicts and alcoholics. If you read for example the NA basic text and substitute computer for drugs it is pretty right on. yes, they are in a sense getting "high" from computer usage, experience withdrawal when don't have computers, have the obsessive thoughts to use and the compulsion to continue using endlessly once they start. It is not hard to predict that there is a huge problem brewing, bigger than anything we have seen, and it is definitely not in the economy's (for one) best interest to do anything about it. It's not illegal. It's a problem, but one where the solution is extremely complicated...the easier solution of not using is just not there. There are no meetings, and too few who want to really commit to the idea that it is a destructive addiction to do anything about it. I wish I had the solution, but I don't. If you know a computer addict and see what it does you know the hopelessness I speak of. This really sucks.

I don't really view there as being a way to be "addicted" to a computer itself. Everything today runs on computers. It's hard to think of what would happen to our day-to-day lives without them. I feel they are just part of our world now, so the "addiction" would have to be related to a certain part: "addicted to gaming," for example, makes sense. But an overall addiction to computers as a whole is a bit far-fetched.