xisto Community
-Sky-

My Pc Is Over-over-clocked [resolved]

I read on overclock.net that if I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in, it'd reset to factory settings..should I try this?

Definitely. Unplug the computer from the wall socket and take the CMOS battery out of the motherboard. Keep it out for at least a minute. This should cause your motherboard to forget all of the BIOS settings and revert back to the BIOS defaults (not necessarily the same as the manufacturer defaults). Place the CMOS battery back into the motherboard, reconnect the power supply and switch on. As soon as you can, get into the BIOS. You will need to reset absolutely every setting to exactly how it was before, including CPU speed, voltages, RAM timings, system clock... everything. Before you started overclocking you should have noted down what all the values were so you could easily change them back. If you haven't written them down then you'll need to use your CPU and RAM information to find out the required voltages, speeds, etc. and use those. Check your PC boots after correcting all the settings and saving.

Did you even get extra cooling? and it would have helped if you would have read a few articles.Even with good cooling systems overclocking by that much will not work. your better off buying a faster CPU.

Yeah, when it starts to boot (after the boot sector protection) it sometimes shuts down or continuiously restarts...

That is the problem with my desktop, except I didn't do any of this to it. Just stopped working one day and now it continuously turns on then shuts off. :)

Now just because your CPU looks fine it might not be the thing is it sounds like your Motherboard has not been able to deal with the voltage and other things. When my motherboard became faulty this was happening to me, Do you have a spear motherboard around the house so you could try this.

It's not my motherboard Ash. And certainly is not my CPU that's died. :(

Definitely. Unplug the computer from the wall socket and take the CMOS battery out of the motherboard. Keep it out for at least a minute. This should cause your motherboard to forget all of the BIOS settings and revert back to the BIOS defaults (not necessarily the same as the manufacturer defaults). Place the CMOS battery back into the motherboard, reconnect the power supply and switch on. As soon as you can, get into the BIOS. You will need to reset absolutely every setting to exactly how it was before, including CPU speed, voltages, RAM timings, system clock... everything. Before you started overclocking you should have noted down what all the values were so you could easily change them back. If you haven't written them down then you'll need to use your CPU and RAM information to find out the required voltages, speeds, etc. and use those. Check your PC boots after correcting all the settings and saving.

Thank you rval thank you!!

I did exactly as you said, and now my computer loads/boots how it should. CPU temperature is back to normal (20-30 degrees C) :) That's the last time I overclock my *BLEEP* CPU until I get a better and faster one of course! :D

Did you even get extra cooling? and it would have helped if you would have read a few articles.

Even with good cooling systems overclocking by that much will not work. your better off buying a faster CPU.

It's not the cooling nor is it because I have a slow CPU.

Sky, you have now learnt the lesson of why you shouldn't over clock your system unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the correct cooling for it if you are going extream style.

First of all -Sky- I don't think that any CPU can be overclocked to increase it's speed to double. I think you can only increase it by 5% or maximum may be 10%.Your computer doesn't start. There can be two reasons. One overclocking. To undo this try setting your BIOS settings to default settings. If your computer isn't booting in the first place then you should try clearing CMOS ram. I think many motherboards support this and your Motherboard manual would have the way to do this.Second there can be a cooling problem. Make sure you CPU fan and the other fans are working properly.

You need to be careful when overclocking.If i had gotten to the topic earlier i could have given you the quick fix but i just saw it now, and you already fixed it.Be sure to be very careful when overclocking on a motherboard not meant for high end over clocking, and with stock cooling.The highest stable clock I can get out of my Quad Core (2.66GHz) is 3.6GHz, and even then its a bit... shakey. (this is actually with stock h/s) but what is useful for my motherboard is that it has a built in reset button, on button, and off button right on the board to make overclocking safer and easier..Best of luck with your future overclocking endeavors.