xisto Community
networker

The Myth Of Open Source

Open source hasn't destroyed the software industry - piracy has beat it at that game. Open source is simply a boon for those people who cannot afford to buy the basic software that they need for their daily computing needs. Of course it is a point that the programmers/coders who work very hard to develop the software need to be paid, but when they have the "open-source" mentality, it's nothing wrong - they are kind enough to let people use their services without paying anything. By doing this they are not threatening the paid industry in any way because there will always be more people seeking money in the world than those who would do service for free! That's the bare truth so we don't have any great danger from open source for now. If anything, it encourages people to try out new things on their machines and experiment with different software, thus making them learn more. Even if they're not wanting to learn anything, open source software can save them a lot of money and that is definitely worth it.

While I can see what you mean about this. I think its unfair to say that Open Source has killed the industry. Yes, many people will use open source over paying for software, but there is so much software which doesn't have an open source equivalent, and so much which is well worth paying for over the open source equivalent.For instance Microsoft office. Yes, you could use open office, or get star office for less, or use google docs. But everyone uses MS office, and most people find it easiest. I use lots of open source software, but I still buy Microsoft office when new versions come out because I like it, and it is quicker to use, in my opinion, than the free or cheaper versions.

While I can see what you mean about this. I think its unfair to say that Open Source has killed the industry. Yes, many people will use open source over paying for software, but there is so much software which doesn't have an open source equivalent, and so much which is well worth paying for over the open source equivalent.
For instance Microsoft office. Yes, you could use open office, or get star office for less, or use google docs. But everyone uses MS office, and most people find it easiest. I use lots of open source software, but I still buy Microsoft office when new versions come out because I like it, and it is quicker to use, in my opinion, than the free or cheaper versions.

I think I used a little too strong of terminology when I said "killed" software.
It's just having so much open source software I think helped accelerate us towards the
glut of having tons of unused quality software that we currently have, and as I said, messageboards
and other software that are the backbone of websites,
should not be completely free for sites that are profit oriented.
Stronger copyright rights/protection/laws wouldn't of hurt programmers either.

Open source is simply a boon for those people who cannot afford to buy the basic software that they need for their daily computing needs

I partly disagree with this. Some people even if they have money will never donate to software peojects and even code for them. If they want some free or opensource they'll be the first in line to get it. But when it comes to paying for it they back out. We have freeloaders all arround us, even we are in one way or the other. But open source to some extent is killing market.

Programmers instead of creating their own proejects wants some free source code and expect others to post free of their hard work,just for the sake of education. And rippers who ask for help from others later charge people for posting so this is double-edged face of some people who just leech out open source and leak the market. Open source/free software is good to Some extent after that it just kills jobs of many good people and leaves nothing for business.

For instance Microsoft office. Yes, you could use open office, or get star office for less, or use google docs. But everyone uses MS office, and most people find it easiest. I use lots of open source software, but I still buy Microsoft office when new versions come out because I like it, and it is quicker to use, in my opinion, than the free or cheaper versions.

Just because something is popular (like MicrosoftTM OfficeTM) doesn't mean it is the best option. Personal choice is very much a part of the decision for most people, and they like to go with whatever is familiar. For most people this means using Microsoft products, which is a great shame. If people were taught ICT in schools, for example, with OpenOffice then I'm sure plenty of people would demand its use. I also don't see how MicrosoftTM justify the huge price tag for Office when OpenOffice is free. It's sheer greed and not something I'd ever feel comfortable supporting myself.

messageboards and other software that are the backbone of websites, should not be completely free for sites that are profit oriented. Stronger copyright rights/protection/laws wouldn't of hurt programmers either.

I'm not profit-oriented in my daily life but I try to donate what I can to useful piece of free software that I make use of pretty much every day. I would hope that businesses using free software for profit would donate something back to that project in some way, although there will always be those who don't. I don't see how stronger copyright laws would be an advantage to anyone.

Open source/free software is good to Some extent after that it just kills jobs of many good people and leaves nothing for business.

Invision and vBulletin seem to be surviving OK despite the wealth of free versions. The difference is in the level of support you receive. I imagine one of the main reasons IPB is used here at Xisto is because of the support you get from Invision which is vital when your business relies upon it.

Just because something is popular (like MicrosoftTM OfficeTM) doesn't mean it is the best option. Personal choice is very much a part of the decision for most people, and they like to go with whatever is familiar.

I agree, however after a while, you need to advance. For example, I personally like IE 7 and Windows XP. IE 7 is getting outdated, but I see no one using IE 8. So, I'm waiting on that...but XP, I see a lot using it, but it's now up to Windows 7. Eventually, I'll need to either update to something (on browser and OS) or be left behind.

IPB is used here at Xisto is because of the support you get from Invision which is vital when your business relies upon it.

I thought it was Invision...but I haven't seen anything saying it was...good to have proof of it now! :)

Invision and vBulletin seem to be surviving OK despite the wealth of free versions. The difference is in the level of support you receive. I imagine one of the main reasons IPB is used here at Xisto is because of the support you get from Invision which is vital when your business relies upon it.

That is one good point. But when we opt for paid version of forum ? Only when we notice that there lacks some support and customization/features in open source/free version.

Vb and IPB lost lot of customers cause of free software as there was good competition from free boards software. Both these forum companies came back in business with their new version by adding more support, version updates and features in their latest version which tempts many people to go with them.

Most of time i have seen that if we build product on which we can let small business survive then there are lot of chances that product will do good. for example, vb is more preferred these days as there is lot of business made on it with skins, mods and other add-ons from 3rd party. Harder to get these things makes harder for customer to choose that product. And only way customer can choose that if it is free, and if they go with that product just cause if it's free then they are making small hole in economy by not paying. If they were supporting the open-source software by donating or funding i could have never doubted this model. But the way people leech open-source/free software and not returning to community is what makes me doubt on this model.

It's unfair to say that Open source products are bad. It's as good as a product which is free. If it takes same no of developer to manage a application, whether it's open source or paid product.Think about the scenario where you need to pay for open source products like struts or spring or hibernate or Java (with fingers crossed)There are thousands of new customized products needed some developers, need to find a way to get those developed.Anyways, I think the topic is very strategic and has it ways in both directions.Cheers, bye.

There is a huge benefit to Open Source software that is still untapped for the most part. Yes there is a big problem with major companies like Microsoft coming in, grabbing it up and starting to charge for it. But let us face it, in today's economy(at least in America, I can't speak for the rest of the world), people love nothing more that something that is free, and that is what open source software provides.Take the osCommerce project for example I am going to use it as an example because I have actually assisted the development team on several occasions. Open source software is developed by a community for a community. It is a close knit group of people working for the betterment of the community project. People can submit contributions and add-ons for the osCommerce platform to the website as long as they submit it free without any kind of zend encoding or anything like that. osCommerce is a great example because it is still to this day active and has been so for over 10 years. The community is great and I have met a lot of great programming buddies in the forums. So yes, I am a strong supporter of open source and hope that developers still continue support the open source projects.One last short example that I would like to provide on the evolution of open source. No days, with platforms like linux under the ubuntu or other distributions, a person can have a completely functional operating system with word processing, plug and play support and even gaming without ever having to worry about paying for a licensing agreement. 10 years ago this would not have been possible or if it was it was very limited to professional programmers. This is how far open source platforms have come in 10 years and imagine where they will be in another 10 years if people keep supporting to open source platform.

People go on about the benefit of open source software, which is great when you can use php for free and it doesn't cost you any money etc.What about the other side of the coin though? The open source mentality has appeared to kill more
opportunity than it's created. Take this message board as an example. Many web sites are powered
by free forums and message boards, and they are all for free. Is this really good?
By doing this, programmers and coders become dime a dozen nobodies, and companies such as google can just walk in and clean up the rest.
Can you imagine such a thing happening in the construction field? Can you imagine if all plumbers declared themselves open source and offered their services for free? It would kill the construction industry.
Such an attitude would kill any industry.
All very fine isn't it? Many,many people who learned programming in college are now
stuck with a skill that in many cases is basically worthless.
That combined with the easy ability to just copy software, and the lack of proper copyright protection
adds up to something that just isn't very good at all.
Now the way things are, everybody and his nineteen cousins are now 'software developers'.
Probably more so than even house painters.

Software is no longer a very enlightening field to say the least.

I can speak as an open source software developer (not a very big one) and as a student (important fact when it comes to money :) )

I don't think there are so much software developers (at least in my country - Romania) - there are a lot more lawyers then software developers! And even if the are lots and lots of software developers it's only normal. As more and more people use computers it's a huge demand for software - and not only software but constantly developed software! Just imagine the gadgets that are everywhere now. All of them need software - huge amounts of software! I only have to think a week into the past and I get Apple's IPad. Everybody has some kind of a need for a piece of software. Apple's market place is an obvious example. Demand and offer!

But of course there are also a lot of offline projects... Those software never intended for release... let's say custom software - made specially for a companies needs! Not everything the software developers do get on the Internet. So it's normal there is a huge need for software developers. Not to mention the fact that once a software is completed the buyer will also want updates, modifications & support.

As for the open source - you have a point... or at least some part of it... I for one haven't received any money from it (although my software is used by people). It's hard for me to imagine living out of it. But the problem is not with the open source (free) concept, but with the mentality of users. People (users) must learn that by donating (giving money the developers) are not only helping the project continue, but also show their appreciation for the work done. That being said I have to tell you I am very happy when I get a positive review on one of my programs. The fact that somebody finds my little piece of software useful makes me happy... just as happy as getting money! That's my reward! And although I haven't received any donations I continue to develop my programs and start new ones.

Open source is a great idea - not only that, but it's a piece of a better world... Making something while not expecting anything in return. Isn't that a worthwhile idea?

I beg to disagree, is opensource helps pay the bills for small developer. If so there is no problem with open source. Free and open is always better for the learning curve, but there needs to be sales pitch else it is hard in terms of economy. Open source is part of better world, it is not a better world in itself.