xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
knoppixusr

Television Steals Time If you could go back in time, would you watch less TV ?

I remember growing up with less television exposure than my friends. For instance my family only owned a tv sent after i was turned 10. Everything before that was VHS tapes back then. Anyway I have always hated how much time television sucks out off your life. It always happens so easily you might tell yourself i want to go do this and this but first. But you just quickly watch something on tv and then it turns into wasted hours upon hours of time and you fail to implement your original plan.So Today, for this very reason I do not own a Television set, cable, nor tons of movies, even though i could afford it. If there is something really good i think i should watch i would rent it and watch it on my laptop. But that only happens like once in every 3 months or so. I do admit that i feel a little bit proud to say i do not own a TV. :-DSo my question is , If you could go back in time, would you want to change all the time you spent watching TV, to do something different instead?

Yes, Television does steal time... everyone knows it? I don't get why they still watch it then, its cause they enjoy them! TV also brings the whole family into the SAME ROOM. So, it can be a Family unite kind of thing. And why do you have to go back in time to watch less TV, you can start now.

Yes, Television does steal time... everyone knows it? I don't get why they still watch it then, its cause they enjoy them! TV also brings the whole family into the SAME ROOM. So, it can be a Family unite kind of thing. And why do you have to go back in time to watch less TV, you can start now.

People still watch it cause it's conveniently there to be watched, unless you remove the TV, it will be used.
My in laws have this rule when we eat at their house. To turn the TV off while eating dinner or lunch. Just because the family would ignore each other and stay focused on the tv, instead talking etc. I know you can still talk while the tv is on during certain programs but it is not always the same.
I think the rule my in laws have is a pretty decent rule to have at least. It also makes me wonder about all the conversations i missed out on, while i was still living with my parents. Back then we used to eat in front of the tv all the time.
Edited by knoppixusr (see edit history)

Currently, I don't have tv. And even if i do (about 1 year ago), the only movie i will watch is spongebob squarepants at 7 am every morning (eating my breakfast) and hannah montana at the afternoon when i don't know what to do :D I don't really like the 'watching tv' idea anyway. All i will do is sitting in front of the television, changing channels in hope to find something good to watch between some stupid tv programme on some stupid tv channels while i think i can find something - or maybe anything - better to do, take posting here as example :)

I used to watch TV a lot in the pat, but now I only watch it in the early morning while getting ready to go to university or work, it shows that show for the morning, news and etc. something like good morning :)All the other things shown on TV usually sucks, don't watch it, TV is for as someone described by current program is for old people, lazy people and kids, something like that.Of course, I watch sports sometimes, I guess it's another thing which is good on TV.To conclude, TV is for news and sports for me :D and if I need to relive my early life with my current knowledge, I wouldn't spend so much time watching it..

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Nope, I wont change the tv watching time. First, cinema is far and few and the movies that they show, they ain't your latest blockbuster. Second, internet, what is internet then? So, tv, they are the only form of leisure that we had back then, beside running around and sweating it out.