xisto Community
suzan

Building Google Chromium Os Some screenshots are attached here

Few days ago I had finished building Google Chromium OS from source. I was little bit curious about that. After running the image in VirtualBox, truly I can say one thing - I am not impressed. You can't do anything without your browser. Because it is developed by Google. So people have to use there products through browser. But it has some good things also. Booting is too fast. It is 100% Open Source. You can say that it's a new distro of GNU/Linux. Final version of Google Chromium OS will be released on Mid 2010. So we can hope that it will acquire more features. One more thing. You can't do anything without internet.

Here are some screenshot which I took:

1. Login Screen

Posted Image

2. Browse Website

Posted Image

3. About Memory

Posted Image

4. Process Management

Posted Image

5. File System

Posted Image

This is first post in this forum. Hope I will get good some friends here.

Happy New Year.

Edited by suzan (see edit history)

I like the login bit that's it. I tried the OS out last year and it is totally Sh**! I would of thought google would of made a better OS after there Chrome.

That's awesome. :)
Did you base yourself of off the Google Chrome OS, modified it and renamed it to Chromium? :D

I wish I could code Linux or an Operative system.

Nope, i think he downloaded it or something because there is already a browser called CHROMIUM which is based out of CHROME by GOOGLE. but i never knew that there is also a operating system called Chromium.. thats weird

One more thing. You can't do anything without internet.

This is the point for which many people hate linux. And this is the point for which i'm not planning to use any such distro for full time. I prefer to install these linux based distros in virtual machine. It is more helpful that way as i can test to the full potential of that OS without any need for partitioning.

Without internet, i don't see there is any market for Google Chrome. Let's see how far it goes. It's obvious that google chrome is not threat to MS or any other linux distro.

This is a great anticipation that we are going to see the whole world change. In this we have the remote world as our world and we are going to do things right in front of us yet nothing remains with us. Everything is online. Our files to everything is online all we will need is a user-id and password combination that will identify us from the rest of the users. All our likings and requirements remain in the virtual world and we at our end use everything so easily.However we will need more bandwidth and speed in our connections and will have to rely on Google for everything.As far as the screenshots are shown I can feel that this will be a browser game and everything will be a browser tab or item. The whole OS will be running like a web browser and programs launched as plugins or sort.

Edited by buxgoddess (see edit history)

I heard from some article that the Google OS can boot up in 4 seconds. Google Chrome is open-source and was built to work exclusively with web applications. This operating system is fast but was probably built to test software. Web developers will probably have their computer multi-boot Google OS.This may be great for notebooks and laptops though. Most people use their notebooks to surf the web so this operating system will be perfect for it. I doubt that the OS will be for gaming or any of those activities that require lots of memory. Since it is not Windows or Linux, there won't be as many processes running in the background to slow down the computer. I have a 9" Asus Notebook that can barely run Windows + AV because of the processes.

First of all i want to welcome you here in Xisto yes you can have a lot of member here because all members here are friendly 90% sure (some not) ok back to the topic that Chromium OS is awesome and nice looking hope it is safe and securelike Linux, well maybe I must try that one out :) hope that Os can make new things and give best performance in my PC ill wait for the release its in mid 2010 right? so its coming out soon

Looks cool but I'm doubting it's responsiveness. Can Google cloud servers handle a worst case scenario wherein every netbook user shifts to Chromium? Or if all Chinese people are to use Chromium? :angel: I guess lightweight processing such as typing, spreadsheets, etc. is manageable but what about programming or gaming tasks? Or is media playing possible? This issue must be addressed since majority of computer users including me easily get frustrated when the GUI lags every now and then. haha. Overall, its a good concept but they must really work on the front end to the extent that users cannot differentiate between Chromium and the traditional stand alone OS in terms of GUI responsiveness.