xisto Community
-Sky-

Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core 939 Socket Cpu

Hey Guys. Well the Processor in the Title is what I am getting, since I am not one of them Intel nubs like most of you are. :P Before I start the topic, I'd like to ask that NO ONE insult me or the processor I am getting, since we all don't have both parents as Lawyers (ASH...). OK? I do not wish to here criticism for this, I am being serious.

The Processor I am getting I have won from eBay. It has a heatsink included (obviously), however I do NOT have any TP, Alcohol or SGP (Static Ground Protection) and need advice on WHERE and WHAT products I should buy for this operation. No doubt my current processor has Thermal Paste on it, and if I take my heatsink off I'd need to clean the Thermal Compound off and stick some more TP on, but the main thing is, I DONT want to find out it has TP all over it right now, since I am not buying the processor yet. I have spoken to the seller on eBay and he's fine with the payment delay and has agreed to save it for me.

I just need to know what products I need to purchase for this processor replacement. For example, Arctic Silver 5 etc. Thanks.

Note: Please give a positive reply, not some pathetic reply that does not help me. If your going to post some crap that does not help (but just to get you some MyCENTs) then don't even bother.

Hey Guys. Well the Processor in the Title is what I am getting, since I am not one of them Intel nubs like most of you are. :P Before I start the topic, I'd like to ask that NO ONE insult me or the processor I am getting, since we all don't have both parents as Lawyers (ASH...). OK? I do not wish to here criticism for this, I am being serious.

I am not going to insult just make my observation of what you have bought and explain to you why you shouldn't of done what you have done.

The Processor I am getting I have won from eBay. It has a heatsink included (obviously), however I do NOT have any TP, Alcohol or SGP (Static Ground Protection) and need advice on WHERE and WHAT products I should buy for this operation. No doubt my current processor has Thermal Paste on it, and if I take my heatsink off I'd need to clean the Thermal Compound off and stick some more TP on, but the main thing is, I DONT want to find out it has TP all over it right now, since I am not buying the processor yet. I have spoken to the seller on eBay and he's fine with the payment delay and has agreed to save it for me.

Good to see you have won something, Every time I bid for something some pedo comes along 1 second before the end and *BLEEP*ing bids me out.

I just need to know what products I need to purchase for this processor replacement. For example, Arctic Silver 5 etc. Thanks.

I would use the new Heatsink if you can, I would also buy new Thermal Paste which is around ?5.00 anything higher you have been ripped off.

P.S You should really save up by a new motherboard or a Brand new PC.

That was not what I was asking...I was asking what products would I need to replace my processor...I never said anything about a new motherboard, or a new PC or what ever...I said, I need to know what PRODUCTS I'd need.Perhaps other members would be able to assist me with this, since Ash doesn't have the slightest idea what I am wanting.

If Arctic Silver 5 is anything like 4, I suggest thermal paste with thicker density then what that product provides. I had a 2400 Athlon XP and the compound would constantly run out towards the edges. Unfortunately thats the only stuff quickly available at my local stores, but yeah if you can get something a bit more expensive and thicker thats what I'd do to save you from a potential headache.

The Ceramique product made by the same company might be the way to go, but ive had no experience with it. Heres a link - http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

if you want specific answers, then you need to be specific your own self sky....like what processor you are replacing and i guess i will just assume this is for a desktop...have you ever replaced a processor? if so, then you probably already know more than most. obviously you need the thermal compound and can't go wrong with what you already suggested....but you are going to have to know if you are going to have to replace your heatsink/fanwhy is it obvious that a processor includes the heatsink?i have replaced a couple in the past and all i did(aside from the cpu), was go out and buy the cheapest thermal paste i could find. heck though sky..you don't even need that unless you don't want to start a fire.but aside from the paste, the only thing i can really think of that could be an issue is the heatsink and fan.other than than, all you really need is some good hands and no static. replacing the cpu was always a $#% for me.

no. you don't need either just like you don't need protection gear when riding a skateboard. so it basically boils down to how safe you want to be if you've never done this before. depending on the paste you use, it can be messy though....but you wont need anything like alcohol or acetone if you are very carefull. like i said. i have done this before without a hitch...but i was very carefull...

Yeah, thanks inverse. I'll get the Arctic Silver 5 then. But I mean, do I need that Alcohol liquid and ground protection kit etc?

Thanks anwii.

i have replaced a couple in the past and all i did(aside from the cpu), was go out and buy the cheapest thermal paste i could find. heck though sky..you don't even need that unless you don't want to start a fire.

At the bold text...what do you mean by that? I didn't understand.

I am replacing my current processor when I get this new one. My current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, single core. And yes, my socket is 939.

ok. good. so it is compatible. a lot of people will go out and by a proccessor and it's not compatible. also some people will replace their processor without knowing if their bios needs to be upgraded as well since the bios my not recognize the cpu.

the fire was a semi joke since you don't need the paste to install a cpu. it's just being safe. first time i ever installed one took me an hour. second time....maybe half that. you also don't need that much paste. just about the size of a booger you can pull out your nose. then what i did was just rub it around with my finger to just get that really thin layer on there...since all you need is that thin layer.

i've heard horror stories of people using too much. but actually some cpu's already come with the paste attatched so i would ask this guy if that is the case so you don't start spending money on things you don't need.

as far as alcohol, all you really need is rubbing alcohol. most people have it in their home already...and just like the paste, it's important not to use a lot of it either when cleaning. even a soaked q-tip could be too much so use sparingly. the littlest bit of alcohol will do it's job as needed.

and like i said....steady hands when inserting this chip because you don't want to force it. sometimes people think it's fitted properly and it's not....or people start bending the pins which can be fixed with needle nose pliers or something BUT you still risk a chance of breaking a pin off...

so yea...the first time i ever replaced one took me an hour knowing all the little things that could go wrong and wanting to prevent any one of those little things.

a bit of advice though. ebay sellers don't like when their payments have to be delayed. it's good you contacted him, but that may not stop him from leaving negative feedback. i used to buy and sell and i refused to put anything on hold because i was running a business and a lot of people would ask me to hold stuff. only 25% of those people would actually ever fork over the cash. this guy sounds nice or he probably has more than one he's selling. i always made more money quicker when i would refuse to hold items which means i had more money quicker to buy other things to resell.

Thanks anwii.At the bold text...what do you mean by that? I didn't understand.

I am replacing my current processor when I get this new one. My current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, single core. And yes, my socket is 939.

however I do NOT have any TP, Alcohol or SGP (Static Ground Protection) and need advice on WHERE and WHAT products I should buy for this operation.

For cleaning the existing thermal paste from the processor you've bought and whichever heatsink you attach to it, I strongly recommend Arctic Silver's ArctiClean. Two bottles - one to remove existing thermal paste and another to prepare the surface before applying new thermal paste. It is by far the best method I have come across for removing pretty much anything from processors and heatsinks. It also smells of oranges rather than strong chemicals :P Not a deal breaker, but a random nice thing about it. The size of the bottles mean it will last you for plenty of processor and heatsink replacements for a few years to come. It really is a must-have when working with thermal paste, even with new processors - you're bound to screw up seating the heatsink at least once in your life :P

For the thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5 is highly recommended by myself and many others. Just beware that it is conductive, so be extra careful using it and make sure you don't get any of it anywhere near any motherboard components, processor pins, etc! Tuniq TX-3 is also a good choice, and is non-conductive (although still be careful with it - that's not an excuse to cover your motherboard with it :D ).

An anti-static wristband is always a good idea to make sure you don't fry any of your components with your body's static electricity. It may be a small risk, but the wristbands are cheap compared to the components in your PC. It's a little pointless recommending a particular one - they're all just a piece of metal connecting you to ground. Have a look in local PC and electrical shops and they'll be able to find you one. Alternatively just search online and buy a cheap one.

Kay, so I have no experience with AMD processors, and I know that intel processors that come with their stock H/S has pre-applied thermal paste. There is nothing wrong with this, as long as you don't plan on overclocking extremely, or running your computer 24/7 while overclocked a bit.If the H/S has thermal compound already applied, I would not worry about going out to buy any thermal paste unless you are doing what i said above. As for cleaning the cpu or heatsink, i just use like a micro fibre cloth, or paper towel, i have never used rubbing alcohol, or anything like that. Neither do I use any anti-static systems, and I have built multiple computers, and have never had any static discharge on any of them, just try not to work on a carpet (i have done that, still no static discharge). It is really up to oyu whether you want to take the risk or not.

Guess I'll add in my two cents too.Never actually built or installed a CPU, but I have pulled one out and put it back onto the motherboard. It was an Intel E6600 dual core with a stock fan and it was easy as pie, and I doubt that anyone would really have any problems doing it. The processor can only (or should only) fit one way and should literally "drop" into place... don't force anything because those pins are easy to bend. When you apply the thermal paste, make sure the surface is clean (as noted above) and don't throw a ton of it on there... a nice, light (slightly liberal) coat will do. I can't vouch for Arctic Silver but I've never heard anything bad about it, not to mention that I don't hear about much else other than that particular brand.As far as static goes, I'm always up for precautions but I usually find myself not bothering with the $6 static wrist strap. As long as you ground yourself you'll be good, and I end up keeping the end of my forearm or elbow on the case while working with components anyway, but it never hurts to be cautious and spend the $6 to prevent destroying the $300+ part you'll be handling. [Personally, I've put the wristband on once to try it out but figured it would get in the way. If any recommendations are to be made, try to get one that has a decent clamp that will actually stay clamped to the object you're grounding yourself with.] Common sense there... but geeks and IT managers alike are the worst violators of that piece of common sense.With all that being said, make sure that the processor is seated correctly, secured correctly, and the fan is installed and secured correctly. Anything that is loose or not installed properly will result in the system turning on for a couple of seconds, then shutting off [as a safety precaution]. Keep that in mind... it took me and a fellow geek about an hour to realize that common-sense safeguard.

Thanks for all of the replies and helping me with this. Thanks to all. :) I will be getting the processor soon, so I have (for now) removed my computer case so I can keep an eye on the board and it's accessories/hardware.

Ah... sky "dont" get arctic silver, what i was saying is it is "no" good. Try the Ceramique product instead, you could be making a mistake if you don't! Proper Isopropyl alcohol is what you need to do the cleaning. You can get a product from an electronics store but it may come cheaper if you can get it at a local chemist. Of course you will need one of your parents to purchase it. What you are looking for is pure Isopropyl alcohol (which they may sell at the chemist) or a semi diluted one (like what they sell at th electronics store). The other portion for which they sell at the computer store is distilled with water its around a 64/36 mix (64% being alcohol).Regarding ground protection you could do that... seems kinda expensive for the task. I'd just put your fingers on the inside the chassis (the bottom) of the computer case to ground any static in your body. I also wrap my fingers quickly with an anti static bag just as an extra precaution.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)