xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Microsoft Office 2010

Yes its here. Microsoft Office 2010 BETA. No there is not a virus. More information below...

Posted Image

https://products.office.com/en-us/products you select language and put in your windows live email and then they give you and send you the product key!

This is great as it's not a Technical preview either and it's a lot faster than 2007 yet it has more tools. IT expires 31st October 2010 (1 year till)

I think Microsoft are being very generous :)

Nice, It really depends on your internet speed I would just leave it running it took me 10 minutes as I have 50mb/s download speed. Find out your speeds at Speedtest.net

Enjoy the beta while it last, Microsoft Lost its court case and so they can no longer sell Word or Office. Of course, Microsoft is trying one last ditch effort to make it possible but I doubt it will happen.

We all saw how well Windows 7 worked out for Microsoft when they let everyone beta-test the software before it came out. It showed that it was a much different and better operating system, let users provide feedback and essentially detect bugs FOR Microsoft, let Microsoft see what people were using their computers for and with as far as third-party software and hardware, and basically let Microsoft build an operating system inclined for the user instead of going out and keeping everything under-wraps until release. I'm guessing that it's not so much that Microsoft is being generous, but moreso ingenious in the way that it approaches beta testing and aiming for the final, finished product.What's new about Office 2010? The website didn't work for me at all, even when I had NoScript to allow scripts globally. Looking at Wiki, I saw that they're refining things and making a debut with free online versions of Office programs, incorporating SharePoint to a whole new degree, and supporting ODF and pushing OOXML, and basically making it shinier and prettier, but is there anything else that I'm missing? Would it really be worth getting when most of us are good with Office XP and Office 2007?

Personally i hate the interface which are shipped after office 2003. Only interface that i was comfortable was with 2003. Big icons and hard to find menu text is what i hated the most in word 2007. So if the word 2010 offers something similar then i'm moving to OO for sure. But Office 2003 is not gonna last for long with updates and patches, so have to upgrade anyway. I'll check this beta on VMWare though. I'll post about it soon.

Personally i hate the interface which are shipped after office 2003. Only interface that i was comfortable was with 2003. Big icons and hard to find menu text is what i hated the most in word 2007. So if the word 2010 offers something similar then i'm moving to OO for sure.
But Office 2003 is not gonna last for long with updates and patches, so have to upgrade anyway. I'll check this beta on VMWare though. I'll post about it soon.

Well, I agree that there is quite a big step from 2003 to 2007 and that one really has to take a few hours or days to see where things have moved, but this was a step Microsoft had to take in order to bring out the, as far as I'm concerned, improved user interface. If you really can't do it with 2007 look, then you still have the options to install a nice "plugin", I've found once on the internet, called UBitMenu and is freeware + available for download at this location http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/.

I hope that once you get used to it, you'll be able to enjoy all the good features of the new ribbon interface, which 2007 and 2010 both use..

Dammit! It's going to happen all over again!The race for 2010 - Jesus! Office 2007 is just about enough I think, to be fair i've taken a look at what's new, and it seems like everything 'that's new', is pretty much 'NOT-NEW'...I don't know what the fuss is about, it probably loads faster, great, hmm after that I fail to realise how 'artistic-effects' to visually represent your work could do more than lets say the Adobe software.Microsoft can only go so far, and I think after word-processing - presentation design - spreadsheet and database - notes and organisation/mail - there is really nothing more to focus on.Fine it looks neater too, but I'd say wait on it like you probably did with 07. It's better to be safe than sorry since it is a BETA version. A years worth of testing their software for free might seem like a fair deal coming from 'microsoft' but always think about the pros and cons - Pros - you get a unique experience, and a years worth of free LEGAL microsoft application which will possibly replace your original installation of any previous version OR run along side taking more space or less than the one before. CONS - You are a mule, you work for free, they need to hire people who can test their own software and measure its market.But hey I guess I can see why people would download it, it's not a bad idea, it's just worth pointing out that people shouldn't jump the gun and fall for an opportunity which at first poses to be beneficial for their own behalf, and not the big MULTI-BILLION dollar corp like MS.

Eh... another office? xDWhy couldnt they wait for another year or two?It seems so soon for yet another update, not to mention the program's costs.Yes, I agree with the waiting thing. Dont buy it once it comes out. I bought Office 2007 in 2008 lol.

And I switched to office 2007 just several months ago, it's really hard to use it at first after 2003, but with time I got used to it and saw that it's really more comfortable to write documents just by using the new style menu..Even though I use virtual box with XP and have 2003 there for any case I need it.I tried the beta some time ago of office 2010, but it was really slow, of course it's just beta..Saint Micheal what do you mean by the court and the selling of Office, Word? Any info on that subject? :?

Well, I agree that there is quite a big step from 2003 to 2007 and that one really has to take a few hours or days to see where things have moved, but this was a step Microsoft had to take in order to bring out the, as far as I'm concerned, improved user interface. If you really can't do it with 2007 look, then you still have the options to install a nice "plugin", I've found once on the internet, called UBitMenu and is freeware + available for download at this location http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/.
I hope that once you get used to it, you'll be able to enjoy all the good features of the new ribbon interface, which 2007 and 2010 both use..

Thanks for that plugin. I'll try it and will let you know the review. Thanks once again.

CONS - You are a mule, you work for free, they need to hire people who can test their own software and measure its market.

Thats why they call it Beta version , and may be you can take it in the other sense , why do you think that you work for free ? Think that you are participating in such a big development project by using and testing them. If you blame Microsoft for releasing Beta version then what will you call Google ? I guess everything is Beta over there in Google, right from the mail till them messenger. But every one will appreciate google for the company releases its products as open source inccluding the Google Wave . Whatever my comment on that statement is releasing Beta version cannot be considered as CONS. What ever till date i prefer Office 2003 rather than the 2007. But the Ribbon interface in office 2007 is commendable and many have a positive note on that.

Though Office 2010 from Microsoft has come up with various enhancements, I have a problem accepting the requirements that Office 2010 is showing for use. In addition to that the price being too much for a program whose competitors are almost at par as far as the features is concerned makes me feel sorry for Office 2010. Going by the various applications that we have in the market that is compatible with Office 2010 standards, there is little doubt that Office from Microsoft will loose its grounds slowly and steadily. There are reports that Office is now going to be and Online program like the Google systems are and will feature a lot of advanced tools and features in the online storage system called SkyDrive.In the SkyDrive you can store your word file spreadsheets or your presentation the same manner as Google Docs work. The difference however will be the way you use the features. Microsoft is trying to have a proprietary system and not an open source like Google has. So be ready for your files to be handled online even if you do not have the Office 2010 installed, all you will need is a password for SkyDriv to use Office 2010 and a licence that is attached with your email ID.