xisto Community
rob86

Why Do User Interfaces Always Say "welcome!"?

I just want to mention that my recently purchased Yamaha drum kit says * Welcome ! * When I start the module up. It's everywhere!
I haven't seen many (any?) products from Aus, do they say "G'day, mate?"

Actually, pay attention onto what's under the welcome message, it says how many times you've hit the pads :P And "whazzaaaaaaaa?" would be really funny sound when you start your MP3 player or stereos heh :P

i sorta had the same response as you....except i think it would be kinda cool if it greeted you with "hey stupid!" or something like that. just like my dad and i one day was having a discussion about his gps unit and how it's always so polite....even when you piss a turn on your routed course. it would be cool....just to hear..."hey dummy! you just missed your turn!"

To add to the off topic, were are different GPS sound packs to install which really says such things, there are some popular packs which even swear bad words, even though it's funny, as usually it's sounds from poplar people a lot of whom knows. My friend had one of those, but with time it gets more annoying than the usual polite one. :P

I suppose that the "Welcome" text on the starting user interfaces of most electronic devices is just a greeting to the user and really serves no purpose other that pure politeness. Maybe the designers / developers put into the user interfaces just to make the device more human and less boring to the average user, although I rarely think anyone really notices the text when it pops up on the screen.