xisto Community
filmdesire

'smokeless' E-cigarettes - Are they really safe?

This is really my first topic, and I think this is the best place to put it!

I was browsing around and I came across a site which explores the use of a new device referred to as the Electronic-Cigarette:

It claims to host coverage from several different news-organisations including the popular CNN and ABC news channels. It is supposedly safe, however can still get you addicted to nicotine, unless you are using a nicotine-free cartridge.

It is quite expensive, however the price is falling... It does not contain products such as tobacco, and the metal cigarette itself is harmless/novelty and does not produce nicotine. It is simply a mechanism.

Dangers highlighted in the video include the fact that it comes in many flavours. This provokes questions amongst parents as to whether it is misguiding to introduce a small range of fruity flavours as it is more marketable to children and non-smokers.

My own research indicates that popular brands that currently market these devices are Gamucci, Milano and Nicocig - regardless of patents...

So if you're a smoker and wish to quit, maybe do your own research and see what this device can offer. PLEASE share your thoughts on this product.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

I remember hearing about smokeless cigarettes back in 1985 or so. But after some multi-million dollars in research and development and countless hours of marketing, the owner of smokeless cigarettes pulled the plug. The reason was because it tasted horrible!But that smokeless cigarettes was an actual cigarettes you light with a lighter--burning real paper and tobacco slash other real ingredients.I am seeing more and more electronic cigarettes in the mall and kiosks. Although they may claim it's a safer way to smoke, it's still violating cigarette advertising to minors law. These products are still promoting smoking that may have health side-effects, also deploys sex-appeal to lure young and minors for the "sensation."

i was thinking of purchasing it just to see what it is. my addiction is more habit than any nicotine addiciton. i've quit before without any real side affects so i'm thinking this electric cigarette could be the solution. it's realatively new though. i don't know what any research shows in the dangers of it...i'm gonna wait a little longer until the price comes down more(if it ever catches on....)

I remember hearing about smokeless cigarettes back in 1985 or so. But after some multi-million dollars in research and development and countless hours of marketing, the owner of smokeless cigarettes pulled the plug. The reason was because it tasted horrible!
But that smokeless cigarettes was an actual cigarettes you light with a lighter--burning real paper and tobacco slash other real ingredients.

I am seeing more and more electronic cigarettes in the mall and kiosks. Although they may claim it's a safer way to smoke, it's still violating cigarette advertising to minors law. These products are still promoting smoking that may have health side-effects, also deploys sex-appeal to lure young and minors for the "sensation."

i was thinking of purchasing it just to see what it is. my addiction is more habit than any nicotine addiciton. i've quit before without any real side affects so i'm thinking this electric cigarette could be the solution. it's realatively new though. i don't know what any research shows in the dangers of it...i'm gonna wait a little longer until the price comes down more(if it ever catches on....)

Yeah I think you're right... The price is too high to make it an ideal solution to quiting! A fellow class mate of mine says he has one and that it is great to eliminate the craving factor BUT the vapour 'DRIES' your throat ...

But I've heard so does ordinary cigarettes when you haven't had water for time.

well the price is worth it if it works. you wont be inhaling smoke which is the leading cause of cancer. so the question is....is the price worth a life or saving a few years?

Yeah I think you're right... The price is too high to make it an ideal solution to quiting! A fellow class mate of mine says he has one and that it is great to eliminate the craving factor BUT the vapour 'DRIES' your throat ...
But I've heard so does ordinary cigarettes when you haven't had water for time.

well the price is worth it if it works. you wont be inhaling smoke which is the leading cause of cancer. so the question is....is the price worth a life or saving a few years?

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, but I have to admit, cost is a bigger factor today. Similar to our chicken farms, our chocolate, even the odd wealthy persons sable coat, cost does matter :/

Smokers will pay less to satisfy their cravings...

This is really my first topic, and I think this is the best place to put it!

I was browsing around and I came across a site which explores the use of a new device referred to as the Electronic-Cigarette:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/=

It claims to host coverage from several different news-organisations including the popular CNN and ABC news channels. It is supposedly safe, however can still get you addicted to nicotine, unless you are using a nicotine-free cartridge.

It is quite expensive, however the price is falling... It does not contain products such as tobacco, and the metal cigarette itself is harmless/novelty and does not produce nicotine. It is simply a mechanism.

Dangers highlighted in the video include the fact that it comes in many flavours. This provokes questions amongst parents as to whether it is misguiding to introduce a small range of fruity flavours as it is more marketable to children and non-smokers.

My own research indicates that popular brands that currently market these devices are Gamucci, Milano and Nicocig - regardless of patents...

So if you're a smoker and wish to quit, maybe do your own research and see what this device can offer. PLEASE share your thoughts on this product.

I think that this whole craze over cigars should just be ended. But if it will get smokers to stop killing themselves than it is for the better. I saw an advertisement for this in a mall in Florida. I never though though it could be real but apparently the world is screwed up more than I thought. If this doesn't harm anyone I think I might just do it because it would look cool and probably feels pretty cool because it is metal and electronic, lol. I wonder though how they can contact your taste buds like that to produce the taste. Do you think they use some sort of radiation that makes your taste buds all funky or something?! Because I really don't know. So smokers, of this is healthy....here ya go. Now stop killing yourself.

Stop Smoking

I think that this whole craze over cigars should just be ended. But if it will get smokers to stop killing themselves than it is for the better. I saw an advertisement for this in a mall in Florida. I never though though it could be real but apparently the world is screwed up more than I thought. If this doesn't harm anyone I think I might just do it because it would look cool and probably feels pretty cool because it is metal and electronic, lol. I wonder though how they can contact your taste buds like that to produce the taste. Do you think they use some sort of radiation that makes your taste buds all funky or something?! Because I really don't know. So smokers, of this is healthy....here ya go. Now stop killing yourself.

Stop Smoking

LOL - It's basically flavoured water vapour... its an old asian technique - flavoured tobacco is anyway, but the mechanism would just allow flavoured steam to pass through the lungs - even though its harmless, the nicotine contained in the vapour can be addictive. A nicotine free cigarette wouldnt be so bad :P I mean it will look cool, they come in really smart designs...

I think this would be worth a try. I began smoking a couple of years ago and I wish I had never started. I am now officially addicted to nicotine - if I don't have my fix, I go crazy. If I could get that fix without all of the dangers of actual cigarettes, that would be good enough for me. I know that with each cigarette I light I'm destroying my body a little more, but somehow that's not enough to stop me. Maybe if I had an alternative that is possibly safer, then I wouldn't have that tinge of guilt in the back of my mind each time I light up.

I don't think it really matters whether it is a smokefull cigarette or a smokeless one. The fact that you are meant to breath in foreign objects that isn't natural is bad in itself already. I mean, eating is normal, but breathing things other than oxygen wouldn't be reccomended. :) I guess cigarettes are just harmful to humans, whether they are tobacco filled or not. Problems often come up when someone is using something that isn't made naturally to be used for the body, if you get what I mean.

One of my secretaries was smoking this e-cigarette for past 3 days. Yesterday, just before we parted for the New Year, she complained about her throat being soar. And so I asked her if the pain started when she started to use the e-cigarette. She thought for a moment and agreed that her pain started when she switched to the e-cigarette.I don't know what generates the "smoke" from the end as she puffed but I would imagine it's not healthy. She had filters that was with a little amount of nicotine and one without nicotine. It's designed her to have the sensation of smoking a cigarette but without inhaling harmful toxins caused by burning tobacco leaf/chemicals. But what if the substitutes of the real thing is actually causing more damage? The idea is always good, but to substitute nicotine, tar and other chemicals, new chemical is introduced in the disguised form of e-cigarette. By the end of the day, she lost her voice and couldn't let any work out of her mouth. It really worried me to see 3 days of smoking e-cigarette lead her to lose her voice. That's some serious side-effects.

Sounds like something I should try.Tried everything else, the gum, patches, medication but all failed.The relaps is terrible, Smokers generally get irritable and you don't want to be next to them when a craving attack hits and there's no cigarettes.Will try that as soon as I can find a store that sells them here.I believe the "cold turkey" way is best, tried it once and didn't smoke for about 3 months. Can't remember why I started again.It's a terrible and expensive habit. Not only on your pockets but you health.There need to be some more campaigns highlighting these problems.

@ PhoenixGFX : actually i don't think this will work to honestly, i'm not a real smoker, i just smoke occasionally but i have tried these to see if they have any effect it is just trying to fake yourself, i mean you know it is not cigarette so every time you try to use it you really don't feel like smoking, so i don't know why peoples are using them. just like gum, smoking is not only keeping something in the mouth, smokers know what i mean when you are smoking you can feel a real different process and nothing like gum or this electronic cigarette doesn't feel like that and you soon will get tired of using it. if you want to try them you can just go to a super market they surely will have it because it is getting popular these days but as i said you will soon through it away because of no similarity with real smoking.These e-cigarettes provide nicotine, scientists think that after some smoking our body gets addicted to nicotine so we smoke again and again but they say smoke is dangerous way of getting nicotine so some of them have invented this thing to provide you vaporized nicotine without smoke and so it is healthier. they say it will give you similar sensation but in fact it doesn't, just think about it if this thing was really like a cigarette then nobody was smoking in the world anymore, you can not find someone who is happy from being a smoker so this thing is not giving you the same sensation or even half close to the real one. another strange thing is the LED light in the end of it, it is not so natural :D .Another problem is that most of this e-cigarettes are not standard and are not confirmed as healthy devices by world health organization. the liquid they are using in these cigarettes consists of many materials and no one exactly knows what are they so using them may cause dangerous health injuries. in some countries like Australia these things are confirmed and they sell it in their drug stores but in many countries they are still unconfirmed. when i was using e-cigarette for about 4 or 5 days i was coughing regularly and when i stopped using it and used my regular cigarettes again the problem solved so as i was not enjoying it as real cigarette and as it had side effect of coughing in me so i never used them again.I think if you want to quite smoking you should not try to find a replacement for it, some replacements like special gum or these E-cigarettes are having nicotine and many other things in it, so using them will not make you get ridding of nicotine addiction only you have replaced your paper built cigarette with a plastic one that may even be more dangerous and you will never enjoy it as the paper built ones. So if you want to really quite smoking just do not smoke and do not use anything instead too. its really hard but i think it is so much better than trying to find alternatives for smoking.

Well, a lot of whom, especially younger people usually smoke regular cigarettes, because of the smoke? So Electric-cigarettes for most of people today is just like a toy I guess.Some smoke quite rarely, but they like taste, so they buy and smoke more expensive cigarettes with some kind of flavor which might be quite sweet for other people who may smell it.I personally hate the smell of regular cigarettes Today, I think simple cigarettes were much better 11 years ago, now most of them stink like burning trash :D I wonder what kind of "tobacco" they're using in those high factories to produce them, but I guess a lot of depends on materials and company and price.The first post link doesn't work, so I can give a link to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette