xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

New Shoutbox

New shoutbox?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok me an some others think the current shoutbox is a little buggy well I have a solution.

It's called Inferno Shoutbox, as far as I know, it's bug free and it has alot of nice features

-The ability to send other members private shouts inside the shoutbox-A nice bandwidth saving feature that it will only refresh if there is new shouts to fetch
-Admins can do many things from inside the shoutbox like banning people from the shoutbox just by typing /ban Name
-Shout Logs
-Shows active shoutbox users
-Full permission settings
-Takes less then a minute to install
-Settings fully customizable via the AdminCP
-Plus has all the other features that this one has so you won't be sacrificing a thing!

The shoutbox is installed on my (unfinished) website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ just login with username: test Password: test

If you decide to do this just post here or PM me and I'll PM the download link :P

Cheers
Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

Ok me an some others think the current shoutbox is a little buggy well I have a solution.
It's called Inferno Shoutbox, as far as I know, it's bug free and it has alot of nice features

The shoutbox is installed on my (unfinished) website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ just login with username: test Password: test

If you decide to do this just post here or PM me and I'll PM the download link :P

Cheers

God, I hate the shoutbox. About 80% of the time, it gives me "an unknown error has occured" message. And it's really buggy, in terms of crashing all the time in my browser(IE 8). Just tested inferno shoutbox, and it works quite well, because 1. Shows how many users are active. 2.) auto refeshes, so you don't have to click that refresh every 2 second. Soviet Rathe, I absolutely think we should switch to inferno. Vote YES! :P

God, I hate the shoutbox. About 80% of the time, it gives me "an unknown error has occured" message. And it's really buggy, in terms of crashing all the time in my browser(IE 8). Just tested inferno shoutbox, and it works quite well, because 1. Shows how many users are active. 2.) auto refeshes, so you don't have to click that refresh every 2 second. Soviet Rathe, I absolutely think we should switch to inferno. Vote YES! :P

hmmm the shoutbox here doesn't auto refresh for you? odd..

The issues you have with the shoutbox *might* be due to your Browser.I use Firefox 3.5.5 and have no issues with it. Can you try using a different Browser for a day or two to see if that is the problem?Also, the IPB Board doesn't like dynamic IP's. Some sort of issue with the Login/security settings. Are you on a dynamic IP address that your ISP changes on you? That may be re-setting your Login information.

I haven't used it that much, but i do have problems with the current shout box :/ - the shouts shuffled based on the time. On this case, i realized this when i'm with nameless_ - his posts were always below mine, even though he is answering my shouts. And when i look into the time stamps, my shouts are always newer than his, i don't know why :P - there's some times where i can only receive shouts, but can't post any. Clue? I've heard about the inferno shout box. my friend's forum use that for a while, until the point that it got suspended because their host say they use too much resources lol :D . And i prefer the inferno than their current one Yes for this thread :P

i personally have never had any problems with the shoutbox except for the fact after refresh, there doesn't seem to be a chronilogical order to the shouts at time. i would like to keep it the way it is personally. i mean, i could suggest all the changes in the world for Xisto, but i don't go out of my way because i like it just how it isso if it's between another shoutbox and concentrating efforts elsewhere, i choose elsewhere.

I haven't tried either shoutbox or looked into either, but from what is observable here at Xisto, the only features that the current one doesn't have are the first two that you have listed. But i don't really see the point in sending private shouts when the purpose of a shoutbox is to be public and when there's already a PM system. So far the only argument for the inferno one is that it is "bug free." There's no guarantee that switching to the inferno one will solve all problems, but a better, objective comparison would be more convincing. That is, you argue that the current one is buggy, do you have evidence outside of this forum? This forum has been modified heavily and the reason for the current shoutbox being slightly buggy could be due to those modifications. For example, the Army system was removed because it conflicted with the Credit system. Therefore installing a new shoutbox may not be as easy as you make it sound. I rarely if at all use the shoutbox, so having one or not doesn't really matter to me, but will switching greatly benefit this forum?

I don't like shoutbox which require separate login. So if there is any shoutbox that requires us to login separately then better not to install them. One more thing is shoutbox should be personal for site members. Open shoutbox are not god at all. So if any new shoutbox offers member-only shouts,integrates with forum login. Then i guess there is no problem with new shoutbox. If not then let's stick to current shoutbox.

We've had many suggestions and requests for Xisto shoutbox. But the bottom line from OpaQue is usually to be sure it's fully 100% compatible with the current version of the forum. And it takes very little server resource (cpu, space etc). And most importantly, above all, it must be free--forum cannot afford costly script that does not provide support after the purchase. We've had too many of that.And since this forum is custom designed by OpaQue's myCENT codes, sometimes even the ordinary add-ons will fail to work properly.Only way to change anything is when OpaQue has time to sit down and study the code before installing. And that may take some time since he's concentrating on hosting business. Forum add-ons will have to be on the second case.Keep those suggestions coming. Maybe OpaQue will have some time later.

Well I think there's only like 2 file edits and one skin edit which is a one liner :P and I'm assuming that this board version is 2.3.6? I've personally used it with 2.3.3 and 2.3.6 and it's supposed to work with the whole 2.3x series, and the code doesn't look like it would conflict with anything. and the bandwidth saving feature would shave a few GB I imagine since this forum is under intense traffic.

yes,,!! new shout box please.. it seems like the shout box is too buggy for me I don't know if I am the only personwho is experiencing this matter but sometimes I can't chat or send a shout it says I must wait 10000 sec to shout xDand sometimes when I am trying to shout a message I only shout it ones but it will send in the chatboxmultiple times which I didn't do hope you guys in the up do an action about this thank you and more powers :)