xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
contactskn

Elephants Are Going To Be Invisible From Zoos, Circuses And Temples Etc.

Yes dear friends its true as I was watching the news in a channel and this point came into light that very recently in Indian Animal protection related law an amendment took place according to which all the elephants which are there in circuses, zoos, or temples should be left back to the forests. In South India we can see elephants easily in temples but according to this amendment after some time we will not be able to see them not only in temples but also in zoos and circuses. Only if we want to see them then we have to go to the woods. In one way its very good for the elephants as they can get their natural habitat where they can live freely with other elephants. My view is that not only elephants but all the wild animals should be sent back to the forests. They should get their natural habitat to live. Just for our amusement and monetary benefits we are keeping them in circuses or zoos which should not be allowed. It may be possible that some out of you will disagree with me but its just my opinion what I have expressed here. By the way friends what’s your opinion about this. Please share here.?post-73445-1260176959_thumb.jpegpost-73445-1260176967_thumb.jpegpost-73445-1260176978_thumb.jpeg

Hi!@contactsknReleasing animals back into the wild is not really as simple as it sounds. Many of these animals have been raised in captivity and therefore lack the survival skills that their 'wild' counterparts have. Animal rights agencies go as far as to say that you should not feed the stray cat or dog that comes by your house because if you did decide to move away, the strays would have not have their scavenging abilities (or hunting abilities, if there are other smaller animals that they can feed on) to help them find food.There have been instances of animals being successfully re-introduced into the wild but that has only occurred after the animals were rehabilitated for a certain period of time and weaned from human care.Another issue that remains even for animals that have been successfully released into their natural habitats is that they would not be able to recognize humans as hunters due to their familiarity with being around humans who were their care-givers.

I am sorry, but I have to strongly dissagree with you.

The mentality that animals should live wild and free and man should not use them in any way is simply wrong. We as human depend on animals for food, clothing, and yes, companionship, and to help us share in our work. Saying we should not work elephants is just a step away from telling a blind man he can no longer use the services of his seeing eye dog because the dog has the right to be free of slavery to the man. Or that we should not ride horses, have aquariums, eat meat, wear leather or keep sheep on ranches and shear them because we want to have wool blankets. In not so modern times we depended on animals to plow our fields and take us to town, and feed and cloth us. The plains indians were totally dependant on the buffalo, the hides made their homes and clothing, and every part of the animal was used, even the sinue was used for sewing hides together.

i dunno. i tend to agree with ya, but i also feel animals should be left to their natural environment. it is unnatural to cage an animal. you're a dog breeder so you will support the caging of animals. while i am not totally against that for breeding under certain conditions, i still have to question the rights of the animals that are being taken away as well. i know animals don't have the same rights as humans, but we MADE it that way for people to believe over time. this is really a tricky area to discuss because there are a lot of benefits to humans to cage animals....even for research...and that's not including killing animals after caging.

so the real question is what do we need animals for. meat to stay healthier which means caging and slaughtering or just plaint hunting and killing. what else do we need animals for. rescue, herding, riding, companionship...etc.... do we need need animals to do all those things or are we using animals for our own luxury where we don't really have to depend on them.

caged animals are abused animals. they are not in their natural environment(which in my opinion is semi cruel to an animal) and the animal will never get the benefits of anything natural when caged. you ever visit a zoo and wonder if the animal would be happier elsewhere? i've been to places like sea world where i see a big whale and a few dolphins in small tanks.

i am stuck because my dog bruin is my best friend and i know even i limit his own enjoyment at times when he just wants to play outside all day. i can't honestly say that i don't feel guilty from time to time. but we have animal control to put animals to sleep if they are running loose and nobody adopts them or claims them. so bruin was born. if it was between me and someone else, i'm glad he's with me.

and someone just got me thinking about the humane society. they aren't really humane at all. people give up their pets to them all the time, but the humane society WILL in fact kill an animal if not adopted in time. they even charge adotion fees. if no animal is adopted, rather than getting rid of the adoption fee for another week to see if it can be adopted, it is put to sleep.

now dog breeding, which you are in to...there is pros and cons to that too. although a good dog breeder will breed for generations to achieve the best quality puppy either to sell or show, a lot of dog breeders are NOT good breeders. also a lot of breeders(if THEY make a mistake) will kill the whole litter if they produce mutts. dog breeding also overpopulates regions with animals. while a lot of these animals WILL get put to sleep because there are more animals than demand.

now elephants and other animals that are caged or trained for entertainment purposes, i don't think i can agree on that. although they are fun to see and watch in a zoo or other places like sea world, we have literally made these animals in to slaves that aren't a part of the animals characteristics. it can't be compared to keeping a dog as a pet and even using that dog for herding or rescue or retrieving and using the natural abilities of that particular breed. so i wont go so far as to say i disagree with some forms of caging and entrapment, i will have to disagree with others...and in respect to this thread and elephants in india, i feel it was the right thing to do. if people want to see them, they can see them in their natural environment just like i did when i went to africa for 3 weeks...and the animals are happier, and they are able to thrive better in the wild(for the most part)

the problem i have with india doing this is they may be releasing animals that are already used to humans being around and they will have to learn again how to survive in the wild. some wont be able to. so my suggestion is keep the elephants where they are, but don't reintroduce anymore.

well, those are my unorganized thoughts on this subject, i have a lot more but i think a book can be written on this subject that can account for all animals....not just elephants....

I am sorry, but I have to strongly dissagree with you.

The mentality that animals should live wild and free and man should not use them in any way is simply wrong. We as human depend on animals for food, clothing, and yes, companionship, and to help us share in our work. Saying we should not work elephants is just a step away from telling a blind man he can no longer use the services of his seeing eye dog because the dog has the right to be free of slavery to the man. Or that we should not ride horses, have aquariums, eat meat, wear leather or keep sheep on ranches and shear them because we want to have wool blankets. In not so modern times we depended on animals to plow our fields and take us to town, and feed and cloth us. The plains indians were totally dependant on the buffalo, the hides made their homes and clothing, and every part of the animal was used, even the sinue was used for sewing hides together.

I'm of opinion that animals these days are much safer (if not comfortable) in zoos. Reason is that in jungle they are likely to get killed by hunter(even if the hunting is not allowed as per law these days). Also less number of jungles will make this world unsafe place for animals. So only thing that left for them to keep safe is zoo. Here in India, jungles are getting extincted in some states while some state do preserve them. They do have animal/bird protection policies but as if hunters care for it. So at least from my observation and for the area around me zoo is safe place for animals/birds.

In my opnion, elephants should be used and served as like now a days. If we send them back to forests, that will affect present forest life. The forest will be more populated by elephants which imbalance the flora and fona there.We can do one thing. we can stop elephant traping from forest now onwards.In south India, elephant is an part of regional celebrations, so they can not be reinhabited to forest.

Edited by getube (see edit history)

In my opnion, elephants should be used and served as like now a days.
If we send them back to forests, that will affect present forest life.

The forest will be more populated by elephants which imbalance the flora and fona there.

We can do one thing. we can stop elephant traping from forest now onwards.

In south India, elephant is an part of regional celebrations, so they can not
be reinhabited to forest.

Indeed. I'd say using an animal from a certain region in religious ceremonies of that region is perfectly acceptable. As long as no one is profiting because of the elephant's presence, and as long as the elephants are born into captivity (sounds bad, but it's much better to be born domesticated than to be moved into an alien environment) then they should be used in festivals.

It would be nice to see all wild animals living back in the with again, but in all cases obviouslyit's not feasible. There are poachers and such for one thing. One thing that could be done more thoughis have captive animals living in an environment that emulates the true wild. What's interesting is I found out the otherday that one of the first zoos to do this kind of thing was the Chester zoo in the u.k.Probably my favorite zoo. Captivity or not, I think the biggest concern is the survival numbers of these wild beasts. The main priority shouldbe stopping the poachers and education. Give the stiffest criminal penalties possible to these poachers, and also educate the dufasses who think thativory and tiger organs are aphrodisiacs and have magic powers.