xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ORene

Fun Problem Lets see who gives the best solution

There is a small village in North Bangladesh. It is called Maghalaya (spelling?). This village is in trouble because wild elephants get into the village and destroy houses on their way. They also occasionate chaos when they pass by the village.Also, there are a lot of wild lions nearby. They often get into the village and cause trouble. Incidents where small childs are killed by lions are pretty common. The village is very poor and expensive counter measures cannot be taken.Ok the problem is:How can you scare the elephants to prevent them from getting into the village. This must be done without hurting the elephants.How can you scare the lions to prevent them from getting into the village. This must also be done without hurting the animals.It must not interfere with the villagers everyday activities.It must not affect the villagers economically.And the method used should be as cheap as possible.So, how would you do it? I want to hear some funny answers :)

How can you scare the elephants to prevent them from getting into the village.This must be done without hurting the elephants.

Show them bunch of mice. Elephants get scared with mice. And this method will not hurt any elephant at all.

How can you scare the lions to prevent them from getting into the village.This must also be done without hurting the animals.

To scare lions show them elephants which are running very fast. Lions are scared of elephants and lions only attack little elephants(child).

It must not interfere with the villagers everyday activities.It must not affect the villagers economically.
And the method used should be as cheap as possible.

To scare away lion,you need to put peanuts near the area where there are lions. So that elephants get to them and lions go aawy. And to keep elephants out of village you have to show them mice. :)

build a trench around the villiage with a fence on the inside. obviously if the elephants and lions are making a road through the villiage, you have to take away the road. you can also use honey bees to scare away elephants. at the same time, the villiage can manufacture honey which would make it very economical. you place beehives along a fenceline. when the elephant or any other animal pushes the fence, the bees will swarm out of their hive, thus scaring away the elephant. this has been a proven tactic.

i would also research why they have to go through the villiage. elephants travel where the water is. lions may travel where there is water to stalk their prey. also...is it male or female lions. each have their own roles. lions are also territorial. is there something in the villiage itself that is attracting animals? if so, take it away so you don't attract it. lions eat meat. elephants eat plants

on a side note, i think any villiage should adapt to their surroundings since there are many wild animals anywhere you live and you have to coexist somehow

personally, i don't trust lions. if it was my villiage and there were people or property getting hurt, i would have watchmen around the villiage with guns. when anything is trying to enter that isn't allowed, scare off the animals with gun fired in the air. eventually, they will find another path.

There is a small village in North Bangladesh. It is called Maghalaya (spelling?). This village is in trouble because wild elephants get into the village and destroy houses on their way. They also occasionate chaos when they pass by the village.
Also, there are a lot of wild lions nearby. They often get into the village and cause trouble. Incidents where small childs are killed by lions are pretty common.
The village is very poor and expensive counter measures cannot be taken.

Ok the problem is:
How can you scare the elephants to prevent them from getting into the village.
This must be done without hurting the elephants.
How can you scare the lions to prevent them from getting into the village.
This must also be done without hurting the animals.
It must not interfere with the villagers everyday activities.
It must not affect the villagers economically.
And the method used should be as cheap as possible.

So, how would you do it? I want to hear some funny answers :)

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Rally up a few useless people from the camp each day, cut em to bits and scatter the remains in a location a few miles away. Its cheap and kinda practical, sort of, problem solvered. :) That takes care of the lions, as for the elephants erm.... a quadzillion, billion... trillion volts through an electric fence should do the job nicely. I promise you they will be dead and crispy before they feel hurt! :o

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Anwii probably has the best solution with the bees, as it's proven to be effective.

Here's one thing that shouldn't be done, I hope we all learn something from this real-life incident. Then again, I hope none of us would even consider this to be a good idea in the first place.

A villager in northeastern Zimbabwe was killed when five land mines he dug up to use against marauding elephants exploded in his arms, news reports said Wednesday.
Christian Munetsi had planned to use the mines to protect his corn field from elephants that roam the remote Rushinga district, local police official Michael Munyikwa told state-run media.

Anti-personnel and vehicle mines were strewn along Zimbabwe's northeastern border with Mozambique during the seven-year bush war

Some one once made another post about removing snakes from an area, and mongooses were sugested, but I added a post about Wire Haired Fox Terriers, and I think that might work here too. Wire Foxes are not afraid of anything. And while it is unlikely they could do much harm to an elephant, at least all the barking and ankle bitting might be a fairly good deterant. and the barking would allert the villagers to the approaching marauding animals, so they could be prepared to help drive them away. They would probably have a lot of fun with the lions. A small pack of Wire foxes would drive the lions crazy zipping in and out heading and healing the lions to the point the king of the jungle may just well decide that he would turn his crown over to the yapping snapping dogs and find new hunting grounds.

there is one problem with that. elephants travel in herds and within those herds are baby elephants. elephants will protect their young and not back down. someone or something could get killed.

Some one once made another post about removing snakes from an area, and mongooses were sugested, but I added a post about Wire Haired Fox Terriers, and I think that might work here too. Wire Foxes are not afraid of anything. And while it is unlikely they could do much harm to an elephant, at least all the barking and ankle bitting might be a fairly good deterant. and the barking would allert the villagers to the approaching marauding animals, so they could be prepared to help drive them away. They would probably have a lot of fun with the lions. A small pack of Wire foxes would drive the lions crazy zipping in and out heading and healing the lions to the point the king of the jungle may just well decide that he would turn his crown over to the yapping snapping dogs and find new hunting grounds.

I am unsure of the lions killing children frequently because for one if there were lions outside my child would be inside or by my side and i would have a large sharp stick, and a bow. Lions can easily recognise the outline of a bow or a spear and it doesnt take a super intelligent lion to realise that when a sharp pointy stick flies through the air and lands in front of it that this thing is dangerous, hence the thing carrying the sharp thing is dangerous. Territorial killing is more likely. In which case the lions are there for good. Brave dogs would help by barking and letting the lions know they have been seen and that something else occupies the territory. Plus alerting the villagers. I also imagine a fair amount of chickens and goats are kept for food around the village which is a brilliant reason for a pack of lions to come take a look.Like anwii said different genders in a pack of lions have different purposes. A giant male with a huge mane is there to mate and protect the territory from other males. If he comes in a lot then its a territorial thing i would guess. If it is usually just females (with no mane) and the male hangs back or isnt there at all then its for food. The male lion will not hunt for food. The females are faster than he is so they will kill an animal and he will come in and eat. Unless of course he is a lone lion looking for a group of females in which case he will have no option but to hunt for himself or find dead things to eat.