xisto Community
onkarnath2001

Viewing A Php Page On My Computer

At the most basic level, you'll need to install PHP:

http://php.net/downloads.php

That will allow you to run PHP scripts from the command line. However, most people want to also set up a web server at the same time, to run on their PC and try their scripts out without using the command line. For that, I recommend Apache's HTTP Server:

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

If you're writing more complex PHP scripts, you'll likely end up needing a database to store data. PHP includes SQLite, but most people opt for MySQL Community Server, which you can get here:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html

Installing those will give you a fully functioning environment to try out your PHP applications. There are also pieces of software that will install all of those for you, although I tend not to use them. One of the most popular is XAMPP if you want to give that a try:

https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

I recommend you to download and install WAMP server. I think, for a beginner WAMP is more easier to use than other php applications. Just download and install WAMP server. Run it and put your php files in www folder of your installation directory. Then just point your browser to LOCALHOST/yourfilename.php to run your php file. Once you start this, you'll understand other things soon.. If you have any other doubts we are here to guide you..

Download wamp server here.. WAMP SERVER

Xampp is also pretty good. Gives you FTP, email server, HTTP server and of course MYSQL and PhpMyAdmin.Its personal preference though, i prefer xampp because its so simple but the stuff the guys above recommended might suit you better, if you dont like those then try xampp and if you dont like that then get linux :)

hi,as i know php is a server side scripting .if i wish to see a php page on my computer offline ,,how can i see????once i had seen someone made a local host server but i am a novice for php..plz help me.

Dear one of the easiest way is to set a server in your computer for that just download Xampp from the net and then install it on your computer it has everything like php and mysql etc used for server side programming. And then you can test your php pages in your computer first before uploading it on your hosting server. It is the way which I use for my php file testing.?

Xampp is also pretty good. Gives you FTP, email server, HTTP server and of course MYSQL and PhpMyAdmin.

Yes, XAMPP has many features like FTP server, mail server, PERL etc... a lot of features which confuses a beginner. That's why I recommend WAMP for beginners. Very easy and non confusing server. But I agree, XAMPP is very powerful and simple. I like it too..

I would tend to disagree that xampp is complicated. It does have a lot of features but all a newbie needs to do is install xampp somewhere (i went with C:\xampp) then fire up the xampp control program which has a shortcut on the desktop and start menu and click the buttons to start HTTP and mysql servers. Then do the same to shut them down. The htdocs folder which is the publicly viewable folder (IE, you need to put your files here for them to work) can be tricky to find i admit but you can make a shortcut to that.

I am not saying that XAMPP is complicated, but some what confusing when compared to WAMP. Once you install WAMP server, the only thing a newbie has to do is start WAMP Server. Unlike XAMPP there is no need to start individual service for Apache, MySQL etc. WAMP won't confuse new users, like XAMPP does with different options and modules in its Control Panel. WAMP configuration and user interface is very very easy. But, definitley XAMPP is very powerful than WAMP when compared to its options and features...

Unlike XAMPP there is no need to start individual service for Apache, MySQL etc. WAMP won't confuse new users, like XAMPP does with different options and modules in its Control Panel. WAMP configuration and user interface is very very easy.

Xampp Control Panel allows you to start or stop all the services at once. What is complicated with that?Or, via the control Panel, you can start or stop individual services, too. Could it be any simpler?

I can see where xpress is coming from, a complete newbie might not even know what Apache is etc... So i suppose being confronted with 5 options, plus the "start as service" option for each is more complicated than a one click button option but i'd still recommend xampp. Every newbie has to learn sometime :)

Huh, thank god. At least shadowx understood my intention here. :) I am talking completely in terms of a newbie's point of view. I'm not talking about a developers point of view.

If you compare a simple button and a whole control panel, which is more likely to confuse you?Obviously onkarnath2001 should go for WAMP. It installs and works like any other program.Either way you can just start WAMP/XXAMP and copy your PHP files onto your www folder inside the installation path.