xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
contactskn

What Do You Think Of This Thought Dear Friends.

Winning doesn't always mean being first,
Winning means you're
doing better than you've done before-

Bonnie Blair.

Dear friends what do you all think about this thought by Bonnie Blair. Really true is'nt it because many a times we people misunderstand the actual meaning of success in life and thats what is the actual problem faced by many of us. We are winners if even we are improving our performance in any field. I think its just how we accept our performances in life. I mean to say just matter of outlook. A person who came second is feeling bad that he has lost the race by seconds other wise he would be first, on the other hand the person who came third in the same race is very happy that he came in the top three if his performance sliped even by a second then he could be fourth or so. So thats it dear friends its just how we accept our success and improvement in our performance which actually matters.

If you friends out here really liked this post then please let me know as very soon my book on success is going to be published and would like to know actually how good writer I am that is to say how good I can express my feelings and thoughts regarding this topic.
Edited by contactskn (see edit history)

Winning doesn't alwaysmean being first,
Winning means you're
Bonnie Blair.

Nice quote. This reminds me of one quote from my friend who is not in touch with me now. Quote was " Winning isn't everything". I failed to understand that part but afterall these years, i have churning the meaning of this statement and going nowhere. I don't know what was the intention behind that statement. Still trying to figure out what it was.

It all depends how you define "winning" and "success" and on the circumstances. If you are running down a hill away from a mudslide then winning really is everything!It also comes down to the individual and how they view winning. For example, not winning something doesnt affect me. I am comfortable enough in myself, my abilities and who i am to accept that there are people out there better at things than me. That's just how it is. So what?!But then there are the more insecure types... Those that feel if they dont win they are inferior. These people arent fighting against the other people in a competition, they are fighting against themselves, constantly putting themselves down, comparing themselves to other people, and despite outward appearances and actions they are often not confident, have low self esteem and generally dislike their current selves. A good example is someone who takes steroids to get "stronger" and always laughs at people smaller than them. They will tell you that winning is everything, and to them it is because it is a sort of certification. If they win a race they can convince themselves "yes, i AM better than these little people" the same applies to any form of competition, be it sporting or not, they have to compare themselves to feel good. They try to show themselves as strong, but they are weak. weak in mind, heart and spirit.I think part of the "winning isnt everything" quote comes from the fact that people who, for example, fail a job interview, are quite upset and need to find comfort in something by telling themselves it doesnt matter. Perhaps they are right, perhaps they will find a better job that otherwise they wouldnt have got. But then perhaps they are wrong, perhaps that job *was* perfect for them, and they just werent good enough.

i really like shadowx's take on this because he's thining outside the box on a cliche that can mean different things to different people

now within the context of that cliche, i don't think winning has anything to do with doing better than you've done before because "winning" will always be compared to something else. i think if someone has a goal or a dream and they put their best effort in to it, then nothing more can be expected even if you didn't do better than before(if there was even a before to compare winning).

i used to be competitive in darts. i made some money at it. not much....a few thousand dollars. i HATED losing. what i hated more was being a bad sport when either i lost or someone else lost. i also hated bad winners.

because of the fact that i have expereinced bad winners before in a competitive circumstance, the opposite is true to the cliche. just because you came out on top, doesn't mean you're a winner.

i think there are many factors in the cliche. shadowx talked about some of them, but there are many and sometimes life can't be explained by a cliche in 3-4 lines.

if you are writing a book on success, then i suggest straying away from a cliche. make up your own insightfull thoughts. who knows....maybe your own insightfull thoughts will be talked about long after you pass away in life. only time will tell how insightfull they are within strangers. good luck on your book bud!

It all depends how you define "winning" and "success" and on the circumstances. If you are running down a hill away from a mudslide then winning really is everything!
It also comes down to the individual and how they view winning. For example, not winning something doesnt affect me. I am comfortable enough in myself, my abilities and who i am to accept that there are people out there better at things than me. That's just how it is. So what?!

But then there are the more insecure types... Those that feel if they dont win they are inferior. These people arent fighting against the other people in a competition, they are fighting against themselves, constantly putting themselves down, comparing themselves to other people, and despite outward appearances and actions they are often not confident, have low self esteem and generally dislike their current selves.

A good example is someone who takes steroids to get "stronger" and always laughs at people smaller than them. They will tell you that winning is everything, and to them it is because it is a sort of certification. If they win a race they can convince themselves "yes, i AM better than these little people" the same applies to any form of competition, be it sporting or not, they have to compare themselves to feel good.

They try to show themselves as strong, but they are weak. weak in mind, heart and spirit.

I think part of the "winning isnt everything" quote comes from the fact that people who, for example, fail a job interview, are quite upset and need to find comfort in something by telling themselves it doesnt matter. Perhaps they are right, perhaps they will find a better job that otherwise they wouldnt have got.

But then perhaps they are wrong, perhaps that job *was* perfect for them, and they just werent good enough.

Winning doesn't always

mean being first,

Winning means you're

Bonnie Blair.

are we in race / competition? those words practically looks like we're in competition :o

but, yeah... we're in competition all right. we, humans, are competing each other to be "the best of all", so we always think how to win. and in the context above, "Winning means you're doing better than you've done before", of course it is, you win against yourself, literally. even though you are on the second, or even last place, you win against yourself, you are you own enemy, you win against your previous limits. Winning against other people might not improve your skills, even when people said you are the best, at some point you didn't improved (maybe it was lucky shot? or he/she pity you and let you win? who knows?). but when you win against yourself and your limits, and you know that it IS your limit, and you break that.... YOU WIN!

although some people said "winning isn't everything", i would like to say "winning tasted great", and the harder it is to win, the greater it is tasted :)

I think part of the "winning isnt everything" quote comes from the fact that people who, for example, fail a job interview, are quite upset and need to find comfort in something by telling themselves it doesnt matter. Perhaps they are right, perhaps they will find a better job that otherwise they wouldnt have got.
But then perhaps they are wrong, perhaps that job *was* perfect for them, and they just werent good enough.

Right, i didn't thought about this. I have similar incident related to that quote. So yes, this could be the one way to look at this. I'm not into motivational talks perhaps but i guess it takes time when someone says something like this. And we have to relate it with some situation in order to get the meaning of it. Thanks for letting me know this view.

Well I think, it depends how you see winning in your life, if you are competing against others or yourself. If you believe winning is going to be always be the best among the people you?re with ( no matter the situation), then you will have to be number one all the time. But I prefer to think that the only person we need to be better is ourselves, we need to improve everyday, I?m a very goal oriented person so I think everyday is an opportunity to get closer to the goals you have no matter how far they seem, I believe in life you have to work for the things you want everyday in order to really get to them. If you think about competing other people well there will be always someone better and someone worst than you in everything so there?s no point in comparing and I?m a really competitive person, but that?s something I have learn along the years, off course that?s not a valid reason for not give your 200% always, but just to think that you gave your best in the things you tried it makes you a winner, because certainly you are better than before, but if that "better" wasn?t enough to fulfill your goal then you have to try harder and not let the situations win over you.