xisto Community
inverse_bloom

Radio (broadcasted On The Net)

I was wondering if anyone enjoyed Internet radio? Personally i very much like it, i prefer to hear a host speak in a different accent in a different country for one thing. But also you get a feel for their culture and whats happening in their world. Despite trying quite a few radio stations i seem to gravitate towards New York's: 95.5 WPLJ and BBC world radio (although on podcast).?Although i can access BBC locally in my country on the A.M band, i like the fact that i can select which programs i wish to listen to at any time by downloading BBC podcasts.?Just like Internet radio, podcasts are good thing brought by the web. I have a library of these for graphic design and multimedia by notable people in the biz. I kinda cherish this, as there is no other easy way i would get this sort of input from any other source. Books can only go so far.?

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I too have an interest in podcasts rather than traditional radio. I've never really tried out internet radio because many stations are either filled with ads or do not have what I'm looking for. Podcasts can be searched based on subject and that's why I prefer them to radio. Anyway podcasts are a form of Internet Radio, isn't it? :)

Usually Podcasts are a saved episodes from radio; however, sometimes you get people who produce podcasts as a one shot deal like some in my collection. :)

One example is Andy Rutledge, he has a series which talks about professionalism in the design industry - http://show.andyrutledge.com/

Internet radio is played here all day long. Mostly it's RBN but occasionally pod casts from Gnostic Radio. I don't see the point of listening to BBC or whatever that NYC station was. Sounds like the same ol main stream lame radio to me. You can get that anywhere on the traditional radio dial. Each to his own, I guess.

That's a good one you pointed out inverse_bloom :) More than radio shows I prefer podcasts about a particular subject and which are updated regularly. Sadly, most podcasts start out good and decline or just simply stop altogether

I listen to digitally imported radio for trance and electronica,euro dance music. I like the quality of DI.FM and sky.FM. Both these channels are excellent and you can even record the radio shows or songs. It is free and i don't think there is any legal trap in it. Other than di.fm i listen to some developer podcasts on artima and some other sites. I have compiled a list of podcasts for programmers. If you want to listen to that, just do check this thread.

Other than trance music and developer podcasts. I listen to some of the blog podcasts as well. Point of enquiry podcasts are always worth to listen. You can food for thought. If you like listening to skeptical, and various perspective then point of enquiry is something that you'll like.

Did you listen to it TS? You must be a man of diverse interests. The guy is interesting and a darn knowledgeable one at that. Your right it can be a little difficult to find quality pod casts, especially in a series. @Watermonkey, yeah i know my choice is not particularly original at the moment. Does anyone listen to podcasts or Internet radio stations which they think might interest people?

Yeah not bad at all, many thanks mahesh! Might try the trance station and point of enquiry out too!

Yes I do, I use Sky.fm's Jazz radio to find some good new music. (no, I don't like the saxophone when there's too much of it. I listen to jazz because most good drummers are jazz drummers. Rock drummers are just freaking boring and the sound they produce makes me want to puke. No creativity at all, only boring basic beat, the only good rock drummer I know is the one in deep purple)/rant :)I do listen to rock via internet radio too, it's energetic, I just don't listen or try focus on the drums.I use Spotify(on WINE, of course :o), I guess it's kind of an internet radio, I just pick the songs. I use Rythmbox on linux to manage my podcasts and other, it's very easy to use.I've never even tried web designing and web developing podcasts tho, so it's still pretty new for me. I never even realized I could find more web developing tips through other channels than just plain text documents. I'll try out the podcasts mahesh provided through the link.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

I do like sky.fm but only when my paypal is in good shape :). Otherwise back to di.fm lol. Sad thing is we don't have access to pandora and spotify here in asia. I guess spotify will take some time to reach to asia. I didn't like the buffering of song on demand type of spotify but i heard that they have some music station. and that is what i want in from them.

Ive just discovered shoutcast.com, its not bad. It basically lists 100's of stations you can dial into and play through Winamp on PC. It includes some popular stations and also other stations which stream their playlisted songs over the net. It seems to be free for me so far, its good if your interested in more music and less talk.I'm currently listening to "Led Zeppelin" and before that "A Perfect Circle". :)By the way it not only lists stations but also the current playing song for any given station.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Oh yes I love internet radio, I listen to a lot of HD stations in the NYC area as well as some true online stations as well. you would be surprised of just how many stations there are and just what you can find if you do a search. everything from music to talk even my favorite weather hehe

Ive just discovered shoutcast.com, its not bad. It basically lists 100's of stations you can dial into and play through Winamp on PC.

And you'll find sky.fm or di.fm on shoutcast as well. There are many dedicated players for this. Like screamer radio which got collection of radio stations sorted as per genre and ability to record the song as well. It also chops the song if they are played one by one from station. You can check radio sure software which is like screamer radio but with more functionality. Winamp is good for recording but if you want to browse through the radio stations then radiosure and screamer radio are two options.

Also if you have shoutcast DSP plugin+account to site myfreeradio. Then you can host your own radio channel. That just clicked on my brain. Why not have our own Xisto radio channel hosted on site like myfreeradio ? Any takers for this idea ? :)