xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigtimedrama

Obama Bowed To Empereor Akihito

President Obama bowed to Japan’s Emperor Akihito, much to the dismay of America’s Republicans!

President Barack Obama is on a week-long tour of Asia, meeting with national leaders and discussing international policies. He spent Saturday meeting with Japan’s Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko.

Upon arriving at a private lunch with the couple at the Imperial Palace, Obama did what some are considering the unthinkable: bow.

Obama critics are up in arms over the gesture, with descriptions ranging from “embarrassing” to “treasonous.”

There seem to be two common criticisms, one being that Obama was displaying fealty to a foreign royalty, which goes against the foundation of America. The other opinion is that Obama lacks a general understanding of customs in other countries.

This is partially due to an earlier bow this year to Saudi King Abdulla.

However, others have come to Obama’s defense, saying that Obama had simply been observing protocol. “I think that those who try to politicise those things are just way, way, way off base,” said a senior administration official.

post-90900-1258575255_thumb.jpg

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything copied must be quoted

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Every country has their own special methods of greeting people. It is an intelligent idea to learn how to greet people of a particular country, if you are planning to go there on a trip as this builds better relations when you are there. Most of us love to see persons from other countries speaking to us in our language and following our customs when they are with us.Obama's act is to be taken as a noble gesture of respect to the Emperor of another country. By offering his salutations according to the custom of Japan, he actually upheld international brotherhood by promoting mutual love and respect. I think most of the people of America would be proud about this.It is human, everything raises praise and criticism. When it comes to higher meanings of international relations and human friendship, we have to listen to the positive aspects in them and appreciate them, whenever we can.In India, our scriptures say "Athithi Devo Bhava", means "A guest is to be treated as God". Thus, being an Indian, I have to support Mr. Obama for his humble salutations, even though it is a minor act of respect.

i am with you, greenpeace. critics of anything or anyone will always be critics. the fact is, they offered him a place in their country and he offered his respect in return. nothing wrong with that.

i voted for this guy. if it was told that he showed no resepct to a foreign nation or leader while being a guest in their nation, i would have to think twice in who i actually voted for.

Every country has their own special methods of greeting people. It is an intelligent idea to learn how to greet people of a particular country, if you are planning to go there on a trip as this builds better relations when you are there. Most of us love to see persons from other countries speaking to us in our language and following our customs when they are with us.
Obama's act is to be taken as a noble gesture of respect to the Emperor of another country. By offering his salutations according to the custom of Japan, he actually upheld international brotherhood by promoting mutual love and respect. I think most of the people of America would be proud about this.

It is human, everything raises praise and criticism. When it comes to higher meanings of international relations and human friendship, we have to listen to the positive aspects in them and appreciate them, whenever we can.

In India, our scriptures say "Athithi Devo Bhava", means "A guest is to be treated as God". Thus, being an Indian, I have to support Mr. Obama for his humble salutations, even though it is a minor act of respect.

I don't understand why everyone views this as something very special - Mr.Obama was just following tradition as a goodwill gesture and this doesn't make him the least bit inferior. It's better if the media stopped concentrating on such trivial issues and pointed their cameras elsewhere...

No, i agree just the tabloids and media exaggerating the importance of events to sell their "own' business. Hopefully most people are clever enough to not buy into it...

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Yup.. its as if they want Obama to start acting rude just because he's the president. Thay'd like to make us think that they are super superior, that's why they keep bugging Obama about his politeness. That is totally not right. If you are trully superior, then you must know how to respect other people's culture and traditions.

The US President is the most powerful person in the world - I think they want to force this line into everyone's minds so that they start fearing the US, and acts like these will weaken that :) Come on now let's stop thinking about who's more powerful and get on with life!

Never has ANY American President bowed to any foreign ruler. Only before God in Prayer. Now comes Obama who bows before all foreign powers and takes a stick to his own citizens and taxpayers. Can't understand it.

so what? George Bush held hands with and kissed the Saudi king when he was president. it's really not that unusual for people in public office to observe the cultures of other people these days. as for me, it's always been my policy to respect the cultures of countries i visit.