xisto Community
The Simpleton

Is There A Rule That Mods Shouldn't Start New Threads?!

Don't misunderstand my question :( I just noticed that our mods are active and are helping a lot of members, but they don't seem to be starting many threads, at least not too often! At the time of writing this, I think 05 Nov was the last day when a mod started a thread (wouldn't like to name anyone). There are hundreds of users who do this so why am I pointing out only the mods? Well my intention is this: our mods are in that position because they know a lot more than the regular members, so any thread by them is bound to be interesting and useful.That's why I would like to see more threads by our mods :)

If i posted every thought, agenda, experience, accomplishment, et cetera, i have, i would have nothing for my site, and i would most likely have already reached a 3000 post count. :) Then again, a lot of what i think and write about is incomplete and generally constantly being worked on, therefore not in the position to be publicly released. Whether or not they ever become "good enough" to be released depends on the work itself and how much time i have. But aside from a lot of these, i could post about other things if i wanted to and took the time. Who knows, maybe i'll post something up eventually.

Actually Saint Michael has done some posts. I know Jlhaslip did one on providing tips for Cabinet Making, if i recall correctly. Admittedly i haven't seen many more than that. I bet rvalkass has put in a few. Most seem too busy, understandable.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

What I think is that the moderators aren't thinking of posting up tutorial threads themselves... they have to keep this site in order, and the fact that many new threads or questions (like mine) and posts appear every single day that they have to try and answer all of them, make sure that things don't go out of hand and off topic and all that that they don't have time themselves to make new threads.I mean, yes, they have a lot of knowledge, but they would rather use this knowledge to help people that actually have questions to ask them and people that actually need a specific type of help. This can be in coding, putting their site online, or any other specific question that one person may encounter on their journey of webhositing and website building. They would rather help these people than post tutorials that no one might be interested in and waste their energy doing so. I mean, no one reads a tutorial unless they want help on that subject. In a thing like blogs and all that, it is quite hard for people to ask questions relating to a certain question, because the only way they can ask is to post on comments, and more rarely, email the blogging author.But in a forum, it is easy to start threads for help, and there will be people that will come and help you. And most of these are moderators, due to their large expertise in this matter... :) They would prefer helping people like us than start threads of their own, though it isn't unknown for them to start threads. Do you get the reason now? There is always a reason for things like that, I suppose...But anyway... thanks for all the help, mods!!!

If i posted every thought, agenda, experience, accomplishment, et cetera, i have, i would have nothing for my site, and i would most likely have already reached a 3000 post count. tongue.gif Then again, a lot of what i think and write about is incomplete and generally constantly being worked on, therefore not in the position to be publicly released. Whether or not they ever become "good enough" to be released depends on the work itself and how much time i have. But aside from a lot of these, i could post about other things if i wanted to and took the time. Who knows, maybe i'll post something up eventually.

Well you're almost nearing 3000 right now :( Anyway I like the fact that you and the other mods do pitch in to help wherever possible and so I guess the little time you have to spend here goes towards helping others - Anyway I'll always be on a lookout for threads from you guys :)

Actually Saint Michael has done some posts. I know Jlhaslip did one on providing tips for Cabinet Making, if i recall correctly. Admittedly i haven't seen many more than that. I bet rvalkass has put in a few. Most seem too busy, understandable.

I never said they're not posting. They are making a lot of good posts, yes, but most of them are replies to threads by other members - I was making a point on the number of threads created by the mods themselves

I never really started many threads before I was a mod either :) I guess I just don't have anything interesting to say! When I find interesting topics I always reply, and think "Ooh, that was a good idea, why didn't I think of that topic?". Time is also a bit of an issue - a lot of time spent on Xisto is dealing with reports and sorting out problems, and that leaves little time for starting decent topics. However, at the moment I'm trying to review some of the hardware I've bought for my new PC (the topic on my monitor is around somewhere) although those topics often don't generate a lot of interest.

Sorry TS, i meant posted threads (topics) when i typed posts. Must have been half a sleep (posted morning time) :) .

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I think most of the moderators here do create threads. Serverph comes up with threads regularly. But he's not regular anymore. I think most of the moderators do come up with thread. And coming up with tutorial threads is not so easy. One needs to come up with research and lots of data. So it becomes difficult to come up with tutorials. If member has any problem then it's easy to post reply in tutorial way to him. But i find it hard to come up with tutorial threads.Other than tutorial threads, i find moderators come up with review threads. Saint_micheal comes up with review threads frequently. Other moderators also post review threads. Making threads requires two things one is interest in continuing discussion and second one is member interested in having discussion. Either of them can help create new threads for moderators or members.

I understand how busy mods are with their schedule over here - I guess it isn't fair to ask them to create more threads - they're helping out a lot more with their useful replies :) so sorry to the mods for asking such a question in the first place!