xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

Beta Mozilla Fire Fox Opened For Testing

I was just looking at the start page of Firefox Mozilla and I realised that they now have a Beta 3.6 version of Firefox to use!!! You can all try it out at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

The big button is for the Mac Version though, but on the bottom, you will be able to see many other different versions of the new Firefox Beta for different types of computers... Pretty cool, huh? But I thought that I shouldn't try it out first yet. I still haven't learnt how to fully use Mozilla Firefox myself, so I'll get lost straightaway in the new version, especially if there are still bugs and things like that that hasn't been fixed yet. :)

But feel free to test it out if you feel like a challenge!!! (Or not!!!)

I did remember seeing a news article about Firefox doing Beta's a lot more now. I am downloading now to try it out. Though you could of imputed the release notes for this version. Here is the link if you do want the release notes before downloading:
http://website-archive.mozilla.org/www.mozilla.org/firefox_releasenotes/en-US/firefox/3.6b1/releasenotes/

Edit:

I have now got this downloaded and installed, It seems to run a lot more smooth and faster. Though I will not be keeping it has I do not like Beta's :/

Edited by Ash-Bash (see edit history)

The worst thing about using Beta versions of Firefox is that sometimes addon extension developers don't update their extensions for Beta releases.

I didn't see anything too interesting about the new Beta that makes me want to rush out an download it, but I saw it can now show videos full screen. It doesn't bother me any, but my friend was telling me a few weeks ago how Firefox sucked because of this reason. I'll have to let them know it's been fixed.

For the lazy amongst us, here is a c/p of the good stuff.

Whats New in Firefox 3.6 Beta (revision 1)
Firefox 3.6 Beta is built on Mozilla's Gecko 1.9.2 web rendering platform, which has been under development for several months and contains many improvements for web developers, Add-on developers and users. This version is also faster and more responsive than previous versions, and has been optimized to run on small device operating systems such as Windows CE and Maemo.

* This beta is available in more than 50 languages - get your local version.
* Users can now change their browser's appearance with a single click, with built in support for Personas.
* Firefox 3.6 will alert users about out of date plugins to keep them safe.
* Open, native video can now be displayed full screen, and supports poster frames.
* Support for the WOFF font format.
* Improved JavaScript performance, overall browser responsiveness and startup time.
* Support for new CSS, DOM and HTML5 web technologies.

Developers can find out about all the changes and new features at the Mozilla Developer Center.

By the way, I use Swiftfox. It's an (apparently) tweaked version of the latest FF that is a bit faster.

The worst thing about using Beta versions of Firefox is that sometimes addon extension developers don't update their extensions for Beta releases.

I very much agree with you on that note, I hate it when you try updating on the addons site and you can't download it because its not your version.

I didn't see anything too interesting about the new Beta that makes me want to rush out an download it, but I saw it can now show videos full screen. It doesn't bother me any, but my friend was telling me a few weeks ago how Firefox sucked because of this reason. I'll have to let them know it's been fixed.

I also agree with this, I thought Firefox would of bought a new look to there fans but they haven't. As I said I noticed

By the way, I use Swiftfox. It's an (apparently) tweaked version of the latest FF that is a bit faster.

I will try this out later :)

Isnt it funny that we cant make firefox to its life without the addons? Now i'm wondering which one is the most important, the firefox core or the addons :(As for me, i wont be rush updating my firefox (especially with beta version) because of there maybe some unusable important addonsAnyway i have some bad memories of beta programs, so i'll be waiting for the non-beta version :)

Swiftfox? Nice... I might do a search up on that and take a look at it... Firefox seems to me to be slower than Internet Explorer, and I wouldn't say that it is the best of all the browser's, despite it's popularity among the computing using population. It is often rather slow, and it always, for some reason, always goes offline suddenly or can't find a certain server or something like that.Similar to Mac's Safari's problem, I must say... Also, While you can easily add and delete bookmarks in your bookmark bar, I find it much more harder to do that in Mozilla Firefox than in Safari. The only reason why I am using Mozilla Firefox most of the time is because of Xisto and it's logging in and out problem that I have in Safari. Of course, Firefox does not eliminate the whole entire problem, but it makes things more bearable. Another reason why I am using Mozilla Firefox is that because it allows me to download the local webserver WAMP, but not MAMP. So know I have two local webservers... :)But I might want to take a look at Swiftfox and see what it does... :(

I think Swiftfox is only for Linux users. You're not missing out on too much if you can't use it, it's not a huge difference. Firefox and swiftfox are actually relatively fast on Ubuntu. On XP it was really slow. Also, don't go overboard with extensions. I had almost 100 installed and it took forever to start up FF. Removing them sped things up a lot. Swiftfox starts up in a couple seconds, plain Firefox maybe a couple seconds longer.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

I think Swiftfox is only for Linux users. You're not missing out on too much if you can't use it, it's not a huge difference. Firefox and swiftfox are actually relatively fast on Ubuntu. On XP it was really slow. Also, don't go overboard with extensions. I had almost 100 installed and it took forever to start up FF. Removing them sped things up a lot. Swiftfox starts up in a couple seconds, plain Firefox maybe a couple seconds longer.

Oh... really? Oh... I suppose you miss out on a lot of things as a Mac user, but I mean, Macintosh computers are so convenient, I really don't know why people don't use them as much as they should. Applications are easy to download, there are lot of good graphics and I like how the way things work... I don't know... everything just seems to be better than a normal average computer like window. I suppose Linux might be good too, btu I haven't used it before yet...

Aw... no swiftfox. They should make everything compatible to all the computers. Can't there be a software that can be downloaded and used by all computers? Hmm... no, I suppose not...

I think Swiftfox is only for Linux users.

Not sure, But this is why I tipple boot. Windows XP, Windows 7 & Ubuntu (Latest version). Just so I can pretty much any add-on or program I want very easily

Even since Chrome came into the scene, I have pretty much use it as my default browser. Yes, FF is good, but somehow, Chrome seem to load faster. But, hey, more version of FF, sure will give it a try. Anything will definitely be better the IE8.