xisto Community
Nameless_

My Problem About Filezilla And My Cpanel And how I fixed it but came out with another...

Hello people... another help from Nameless_ here.IT seems like to me that Filezilla can only be used on a Mac version of OS X 10.5 and above, and because I only have a Mac computer that suddenly downgraded itself and it's version to OS X 10.4, I couldn't use FileZilla and had to search for FileZilla alternatives instead. However, because no one knows how to use anything else like Cross FTP or CyberDuck, I told my dad to upgrade my computer for me and so I have successfully installed FileZilla on my Macintosh computer, version OS X 10.6.1...Now the problem is, now that I have FileZilla, how do I use it? I want to install Drupal onto my cPanel, and considering I have 1000mb of free space, that should be enough, as some members said that you can already install Drupal (or Joomla) on a 20mb hosting plan at Xisto. Apparently all the files are meant to go into the public_ftp/ folder. Now that I am in a FileZilla user prone environment, can someone tell me how to use FileZilla and upload files onto my cPanel? How do I know how to put it in the right folder and how to take it down if I did it wrong?Thanks... :)(P.s. how does a FTP server work exactly? Everything seems so complicated. How is it that a software can connect to the web and send files from the local computer to "up there"?)

For the file transfer to work, you need to supply the Account FTP information for your Xisto account and then select the files to upload. I haven't used filezilla for a long time, but I think all you need to do is drop and drag the files from "local" to "up there".

how do you use filezilla? see, the left side explorer is your pc files and the right side explorer is your host files (it'll be blank unless you loggen in to your host) you can upload your files, simply by drag and drop those files in the left side to the right side i dont know about trap's directory, so i assume it is same with mine http://ww38.yoursite.com/123456/qwerty in ftp views should looks like /public_html/123456/qwerty if you want to install joomla, then upload your joomla files to the /public_html/ folder :) anyway, i dont know if you really can install joomla on 20MB hosting though my joomla site take 50MB for all those installation, caching, template, and plugins

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

OK... well, thanks for the help guys... I have successfully connected to my server on my cPanel using FileZilla... but after that, even when I can find my files that I want to put in (that is, the open-source CMS Drupal), I don't know which folder to put it in. There are so many files and folders that I don't even know which one to put in, and I believe that while I was dabbling around, I believe that I have accidentally uploaded some of my files "up there", so now I don't even know which files to delete and which ones that I am not meant to touch... :(Any help on this? Does anyone have a list of files and/or folders that I am "meant" to have and others that I am not so I know which files and folders to delete? Also, which files or folders am I meant to put my Drupal folder in, and which file and folder am I meant to put the "verification file" from Google Apps Custom Mail Domain Verification in???And how do I do that? I'm glad I got the connection right, but even know that I know how to use it, well, I don't know which folders to put different things in!!! Oh yeah... and after searching the web it turns out that the default port is 21 for my FileZilla FTP software, but when I get to my cPanel I have to go to somethingdomain.subdomain.net:2082. Different ports!!! Why is that???Thanks for answering my thread though... there's a lot of questions there... please try and answer all of them. :) Thanks.

About the drupal, you may want to read their readme / installation files, they should have some installation instructions there :)
I dunno for the other files, but if you just upload them to public_html folder and didnt mean to, just press your delete button to delete them (unless if you accidentally upload to the dot*ed folder, i dunno...)
Most Verification files are uploaded to public_html, which mean it should be able to opened by url http://ww38.yoursite.com/verification-file.extensions

Oh and the port
Port 21 was just so-called 'default port'. for some reason, the hosting provider may want to change their port, mostly for securing stuff :(

Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)

@Nameless_

Reasons for different ports for different applications:

Take an analogy with ip-address of a computer. To identify among lakhs of computers on internet, you need to have ip-address of the remote computer. Similarly, to identify among many applications running on a server, you need to know the port at which the application is running.

There can be only one application that can listen on the same ip and same port. So if the server provides two services/applications ftp(port:21) and control panel(port:2082). Both services can not take same ip and same port.

You can provide service at any unused port. For e.g: you can run your webserver(http) on port 80(default) or port 8080.

Default ports are standard ports for some known services like (ftp,ssh,telnet,http). Had not they be give default ports; everybody would be using their own ports and it would be hell of mess to browse web or transfer your files over internet.

Location of files on webserver

I don't know about the file structure of Xisto. But I think things work this way.

If you have a domain example.com then,
you need to upload your web site(drupal) in public_html folder.
Your site would be accessibe as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you want to install drupal in a sub-domain then,
you need to upload your web site(drupal) in public_html/<path-to-sub-domain-folder>/ folder.
Your site would be accessible as

For e.g, For:
sub-domain = test
domain = example.com
You will access site as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

OK... well, thanks for the help guys... I have successfully connected to my server on my cPanel using FileZilla... but after that, even when I can find my files that I want to put in (that is, the open-source CMS Drupal), I don't know which folder to put it in. There are so many files and folders that I don't even know which one to put in, and I believe that while I was dabbling around, I believe that I have accidentally uploaded some of my files "up there", so now I don't even know which files to delete and which ones that I am not meant to touch... :(

Generally, don't delete any of the folders that are in your account when you get it. They control things like what domains you have, email settings and stuff like that. Uploading extra files there by accident shouldn't be a massive problem actually :)

As a safe rule, only ever touch the public_html and public_ftp folders. Inside those two you can put all the files and folders you like and delete those files and folders.

Any help on this? Does anyone have a list of files and/or folders that I am "meant" to have and others that I am not so I know which files and folders to delete? Also, which files or folders am I meant to put my Drupal folder in, and which file and folder am I meant to put the "verification file" from Google Apps Custom Mail Domain Verification in???

Even if you have uploaded some files by accident, I wouldn't go around trying to delete anything that is outside the public_html and public_ftp folders.

The files for Drupal go into the public_html folder. The Google verification file goes into the public_html folder. Anything that needs to be accessed by a web browser goes into the public_html folder.

And how do I do that? I'm glad I got the connection right, but even know that I know how to use it, well, I don't know which folders to put different things in!!!

Drag and drop. I think in FileZilla the left hand side shows files and folders on your PC, while the right hand side shows your hosting. On the left, navigate to the files and folders you want to upload. On the right, navigation into the public_html directory. Drag files and folders from the left and drop them on the right, and they will start to transfer.

Oh yeah... and after searching the web it turns out that the default port is 21 for my FileZilla FTP software, but when I get to my cPanel I have to go to somethingdomain.subdomain.net:2082. Different ports!!! Why is that???

Applications use different ports so that their data doesn't get mixed up with everything else, and so they can easily identify data meant for them. FTP uploads work on port 21. People accessing your website use port 80. cPanel uses port 2082. Most games use their own ports as well.

OK, thanks for the info, people...so I'll only ever upload things on the public_html folder, and I don't think I will even touch the public_ftp folder... Unortunately, something happened... I can't seem to find the public_ftp folder now!!! I can't find it at all!!! I don't know what happened!!! I have only deleted the one folder that I believe I have uploaded wrongly before from when I was using CrossFTP to no avail, but even then, I still can't find my public_ftp folder!!! I don't know what to do now!!! I don't think that I have accidentally deleted anything wrongly though... Only that one folder... :):(

So I will hereby attempt to list all the main folders that I can find, and I hope that you people will be able to tell my what is wrong with everything... Is it possible to "reset" cPanel so that it looks like I haven't touched anything before? I only created two mail accounts and deleted that folder...

OK... so here is the list:

.cpanel

.htpasswds

.mozilla

.trash

access-logs

etc

mail

public_html

tmp

.bash_logout

.bash_profile

.bashrc

.contactemail

.lang

.lastlogin

.zshrc

cpbackup-exclude.conf

(Note one: the ".." is also a folder that I don't know what it is used for and it seems to be empty)

(Note two: from ".bash_logout" and below are files and NOT folders... I don't think I have seen them before though...)

Any help? Can someone see their own FIleZilla files and see if I have anything wrong? THis is meant to be the default files that I have, assuming that I haven't touched anything at all before...

If this helps, I will also include the log thingy for reference of what I did this session:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------

Response: 220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.

Response: 220-Local time is now 21:32. Server port: 21.

Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login

Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.

Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Command: USER user

Response: 331 User user OK. Password required

Command: PASS ******************************************

Response: 230-User user has group access to: user

Response: 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /

Command: SYST

Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8

Command: FEAT

Response: 211-Extensions supported:

Response: EPRT

Response: IDLE

Response: MDTM

Response: SIZE

Response: REST STREAM

Response: MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;

Response: MLSD

Response: ESTP

Response: PASV

Response: EPSV

Response: SPSV

Response: ESTA

Response: AUTH TLS

Response: PBSZ

Response: PROT

Response: 211 End.

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/" is your current location

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,197,158,229,205,130)

Command: MLSD

Response: 150 Accepted data connection

Response: 226-ASCII

Response: 226-Options: -a -l

Response: 226 20 matches total

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------

Response: 220-You are user number 4 of 50 allowed.

Response: 220-Local time is now 21:35. Server port: 21.

Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login

Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.

Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Command: USER user

Response: 331 User user OK. Password required

Command: PASS *************************************

Response: 230-User user has group access to: user

Response: 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /

Command: CWD /

Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/" is your current location

Command: TYPE A

Response: 200 TYPE is now ASCII

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,197,158,229,16,29)

Command: RETR .contactemail

Response: 150 Accepted data connection

Response: 226-File successfully transferred

Response: 226 0.013 seconds (measured here), 1.61 Kbytes per second

Thanks people... someone help!!!

The two dot ( .. ) Was merely a command to 'go up one folder / directory' (you know, 'cd..' in DOS)The other folders and files which have dot ( . ) In before their name are, kind of, system files. I wont touch any of them before searching what exactly am i going to do with them or whatever inside them :)I dunno about the public ftp though, why dont you try to make a new folder and name it public_ftp? O.o

I don't know if that works... wait... isn't there a button to make things default? Can you check your own FileZilla folders and tell me what I am missing? Also, what do the extra files at the end of the folder list after www is for and what do they mean? I am pretty sure that they weren't there before... do you think that I can delete them?Here is the list I am talking about:.bash_logout.bash_profile.bashrc.contactemail.lang.lastlogin.zshrccpbackup-exclude.confYeah... and can you tell me what folders I am missing?

Holy crap Nameless, quote tag your list dude! :) I don't see any other folders missing there?(NOTE: I did NOT read the whole thread, too tired >.<)

Oh my god, sorry... :) I actually typed out the whole list though, I was still (and still am) opening the Filezilla application. Are you seriously sure you can't find any other missing files? What about the .bash_something and the .config_something files? What are they for? Have you seen anything like that before?

oki've opened my site, via filezilla and via cpanelit can be that some or whole thing would be different between my host and your host thoughthis is how my files in cpanel:post-90218-1257052267_thumb.jpgand this is my filezillapost-90218-1257052544_thumb.jpgsorry i have to make it "tiny" :)

@Nameless_.bash_something files are used by bash shell in linux to set up your environment like PATH variable/default editor; when you log in to your system via ssh/telnet.I do not know about other files, but I want to know so that if anything goes wrong, I would be able to troubleshoot easily :) Try to ftp your site as anonymous user without password. If you are able to ftp then there is no problem. Also, create a folder public_ftp with read/execute permission for all. Save some dummy file there and see if it is accessible through anonymous ftp. If you can access and then everything is fine as far as ftp is concerned.

oki've opened my site, via filezilla and via cpanel
it can be that some or whole thing would be different between my host and your host though
sorry i have to make it "tiny" :)

Thank you SO much for your help, FouGilang... :( I suppose maybe I did delete my public_ftp file... :( But you've got many more files like perl and things like that that I don't have... but anyway, thank you for your help... I will add the public_ftp file and see if that works... :(

For your information, if you want, I will also include the screenshots of both my cpanel and my filezilla files for your reference. :D
And don't worry, I like it "tiny". :D

Thank you so very much once again... :( And yes, we've got different hosts... I don't use Xisto as my host myself, so that would be definite, though I use the myCENTS on Xisto to register my top-level .com domain name(s).

@Nameless_.bash_something files are used by bash shell in linux to set up your environment like PATH variable/default editor; when you log in to your system via ssh/telnet.
I do not know about other files, but I want to know so that if anything goes wrong, I would be able to troubleshoot easily :D
Try to ftp your site as anonymous user without password. If you are able to ftp then there is no problem. Also, create a folder public_ftp with read/execute permission for all. Save some dummy file there and see if it is accessible through anonymous ftp. If you can access and then everything is fine as far as ftp is concerned.

Ah... OK, so it doesn't have anything to do with public_ftp. I was wondering myself whether I somehow deleted the public_ftp folder and all its contents somehow spilled out, but now that I have seen FouGilang's posts and screenshots and attachments and read your reply I realised that I am wrong. Either way, I guess the only thing that I can do now is to manually add the public_ftp folder on... :D

Anyway, thanks for the reply... :D

The weird thing is though, guess what I found in the public_html/ folder? A whole collection of MSN smileys that people use!!! I don't even know whether I should delete them or let them be and whether they are crucial to my website or not... I wonder how that got there though... I personally don't use MSN myself, and so obviously I won't be anywhere near uploading them up onto FileZilla... any advice, people?

(I've uploaded the screenshots as attachments... I hope it works...)

post-86048-1257062415_thumb.jpg

post-86048-1257062472_thumb.jpg