xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
user681

Crappy Economy And Jobs

So the past 2 months I've been applying everywhere for a job..I'm 17 and I have had lots of previous experinces working at places like Dairy Queen and Burgur king..but for some odd reason NOONE would hire me!!even though I have my OWN website designed and hand-coded by myself included in my resume!I don't understand..how hard could it be to get a frigging entry level job?i mean seirously do you need a god damn degree to get a minimum wage job??a job is all i ask for I don't even care if its minimum wage and i'm pretty sure my experinces and my skillset is more than enough for these entry level jobs..rant over

So the past 2 months I've been applying everywhere for a job..I'm 17 and I have had lots of previous experinces working at places like Dairy Queen and Burgur king..
but for some odd reason NOONE would hire me!!
even though I have my OWN website designed and hand-coded by myself included in my resume!
I don't understand..how hard could it be to get a frigging entry level job?
i mean seirously do you need a god damn degree to get a minimum wage job??
a job is all i ask for I don't even care if its minimum wage and i'm pretty sure my experinces and my skillset is more than enough for these entry level jobs..
rant over

The economy is changing to where you need a degree to work at a lot of places.

Actually, MCDonald's, one of the easier to get a job at places... Around where I live they won't even hire you unless you are either currently in high school, currently in college, or have your college degree already.

Are you applying to places that are actually LOOKING to hire people?I've responded to Craigslist listings and hit up as many places as I could, and I have yet to receive ONE call or response for an interview. I am currently a full-time engineer with 3 years of experience there, plus 6 years of military service (3 active), plus a few years in retail and experience with POS, plus clerical and administrative experience, PLUS computer skills... and no one has given me as much as the time of day.But don't give up. Things might just be circumstantial. You will have to follow up with companies to see if they actually reviewed your resume and application and weed out those that aren't interested in hiring you. It's slightly discouraging, but there will be that one gem that will make it all worth the effort. Applying isn't the only step. It helps to present yourself and make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack in order to score that position.

So the past 2 months I've been applying everywhere for a job..I'm 17 and I have had lots of previous experinces working at places like Dairy Queen and Burgur king..
even though I have my OWN website designed and hand-coded by myself included in my resume!
a job is all i ask for I don't even care if its minimum wage and i'm pretty sure my experinces and my skillset is more than enough for these entry level jobs..
rant over

Hello dear friend same was the problem with me. Even I have a lot of knowledge of web development. But I was a management student so I was not able to get a good job in the field of computers. Then I confidently started my own website. Entered into the business of webdevelopment and working as a free lancer in this field and earning a good amount right now. As not only in this field but in all fields if you are having the relevent degree then its OK even though if you are not have proper knowledge of the field. Don't be depressed if you think you are best at your work then be confident start your own work as I have done. Best of luck dear, God bless you.

rant over

this is the worst economy condition! In US unemployement reached more than 9 percent. Millions of poeple are losing their jobs wihout any reason. Here in sweden, freinds are applying for the job, and the condition is, employer dont even bother to call for interview. Few friends got job by reference (consider it most important factor). But I dont know our fault for this worst conditno of economy. I was reading that situation is being changed and thing are coming back to normal state. May be next year we can see some good change. Hope for the best.

Are you applying to places that are actually LOOKING to hire people?
I've responded to Craigslist listings and hit up as many places as I could, and I have yet to receive ONE call or response for an interview. I am currently a full-time engineer with 3 years of experience there, plus 6 years of military service (3 active), plus a few years in retail and experience with POS, plus clerical and administrative experience, PLUS computer skills... and no one has given me as much as the time of day.

But don't give up. Things might just be circumstantial. You will have to follow up with companies to see if they actually reviewed your resume and application and weed out those that aren't interested in hiring you. It's slightly discouraging, but there will be that one gem that will make it all worth the effort. Applying isn't the only step. It helps to present yourself and make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack in order to score that position.

YES, Bestbuy listed that they're hiring on oct 2nd and I applied as soon as I saw it on the very same day
and that was my third time applying too!! it's *BLEEP*ng ridiculous. they wouldn't hire me and instead they hire a bunch of goons who doesn't know *BLEEP* about technology. you ask them a question they'd just read the frigging lable to you
wtf is this!? so they'd rather hire idiots who don't really know techonology than hire someone like me who actually knows this *BLEEP*!?
and another thing..craiglist I've e-mailed so many ppl who were looking for web designers..granted I'm not an expert but I can definitely code WELL in html and CSS ..I may not know php but at least I could design and code a simple website for anyone who doesn't need a super complex website ..
oh yeah photography too! sometimes I email them and I even tell them I could do it for free but for some odd reason they NEVER reply!!
it's so frusterating because I need a job so I can get enoough money to visit my grand parents this christmas
I've got 2 months left and I still HAVE not gotten a job..ANYWHERE

All I want is a frigging job..

YES, Bestbuy listed that they're hiring on oct 2nd and I applied as soon as I saw it on the very same dayand that was my third time applying too!! it's *BLEEP*ng ridiculous. they wouldn't hire me and instead they hire a bunch of goons who doesn't know *BLEEP* about technology. you ask them a question they'd just read the frigging lable to you
wtf is this!? so they'd rather hire idiots who don't really know techonology than hire someone like me who actually knows this *BLEEP*!?
and another thing..craiglist I've e-mailed so many ppl who were looking for web designers..granted I'm not an expert but I can definitely code WELL in html and CSS ..I may not know php but at least I could design and code a simple website for anyone who doesn't need a super complex website ..
oh yeah photography too! sometimes I email them and I even tell them I could do it for free but for some odd reason they NEVER reply!!
it's so frusterating because I need a job so I can get enoough money to visit my grand parents this christmas

Heh, I applied at Best Buy and got an interview... I showed I know my stuff in both sales and about PC's but I've never worked retail before. Never got a call back afterwards so I asked if they could give pointers as to what I did wrong in the interview to not get a position. Their reason was "When I said I wasn't interested in the computer right now, you didn't try to market me a store credit card. Maybe I couldn't buy it yet because I didn't have the money and the credit card would have given 0% interest so I could purchase it." (paraphrased but that's the gist of it). According to the manager that's *all* I did wrong.

Sadly even when I go to Best Buy I've never been asked about a credit card, so I didn't know anything about that.

Learned from that interview though, I guess, :P.

Heh, I applied at Best Buy and got an interview... I showed I know my stuff in both sales and about PC's but I've never worked retail before. Never got a call back afterwards so I asked if they could give pointers as to what I did wrong in the interview to not get a position. Their reason was "When I said I wasn't interested in the computer right now, you didn't try to market me a store credit card. Maybe I couldn't buy it yet because I didn't have the money and the credit card would have given 0% interest so I could purchase it." (paraphrased but that's the gist of it). According to the manager that's *all* I did wrong.
Sadly even when I go to Best Buy I've never been asked about a credit card, so I didn't know anything about that.

Learned from that interview though, I guess, :P .

the thing is...they wouldn't even call me for a frigging interview!!
and some of their reason for not hiring people is just complete *BLEEP*..

the thing is...they wouldn't even call me for a frigging interview!!and some of their reason for not hiring people is just complete *BLEEP*..

been there did that, Thanks Bush and Obama

been there did that, Thanks Bush and Obama

When Bush was in office it wasn't purely Republican. He therefore made no rules, Congress did.

Obama, on the other hand, is in an almost (or completely) democratic setup. If he says something, Congress automatically agrees.

This is one of the reasons pure Republican/pure Democratic government causes issues. It smashes the whole "checks and balances" thing.

YES, Bestbuy listed that they're hiring on oct 2nd and I applied as soon as I saw it on the very same dayand that was my third time applying too!! it's *BLEEP*ng ridiculous. they wouldn't hire me and instead they hire a bunch of goons who doesn't know *BLEEP* about technology. you ask them a question they'd just read the frigging lable to you

-

Learned from that interview though, I guess, :P

It's one of the mysteries of the world as to why companies hire idiots over competent people. Then again, you might have shorted yourself somehow.

From a corporate perspective, the human resources rep is the lucky guy/gal to flip through applications. I'm not sure how Best Buy does their stuff, but whether it's a physical or electronic application, there are a few things that reps highlight, since they are literally flipping through hundreds of applications at a time.

Do you have school? A high school diploma or GED doesn't really mean anything. College degrees and college experience counts towards being selected for an interview, even if you're an idiot. (Trust me... our IT guy has a computer science degree and we have people here that can school him on a lot of things. I don't really toot my own horn, but in this case, I feel that I am more competent with computers than he shows himself to be.) Retail experience, in your case, works for you too, again even if you are an idiot. If you are applying for Geek Squad, I would think that an A+ certification (even though it means nothing in the real world) could possibly give you kudos, and maybe some off-the-wall things that you can show off wouldn't hurt. It's good to have a good knowledge base, but in the case of Best Buy, being able to make a sale overrides competence in the information technology department... which explains why "selling" a credit card to a customer was probably the breaker for your interview process.

Craigslist is HORRENDOUS for replies. I did that venture for a solid month and got maybe half a dozen replies out of easily a hundred e-mails sent. People are horrible with correspondence, although there's no excuse since they're LOOKING to hire people. But then again, would you want to work with someone that never communicates promptly? How would that work if you had a critical question prior to finishing a project on time and that person never responded, then blames you for not finishing the project?

Don't give up and keep looking. I know that Wally World is hiring in my area, so I'm aiming for minimum wage to be a cashier or SOMETHING in retail again. Be persistent. Follow up with phone calls, interviews, and applications. That way you're not chasing ghosts and focused on actual opportunities. Obviously you have something somebody wants because you earned an interview. Keep it up and you'll earn that job in no time.

It's one of the mysteries of the world as to why companies hire idiots over competent people. Then again, you might have shorted yourself somehow.
From a corporate perspective, the human resources rep is the lucky guy/gal to flip through applications. I'm not sure how Best Buy does their stuff, but whether it's a physical or electronic application, there are a few things that reps highlight, since they are literally flipping through hundreds of applications at a time.

Do you have school? A high school diploma or GED doesn't really mean anything. College degrees and college experience counts towards being selected for an interview, even if you're an idiot. (Trust me... our IT guy has a computer science degree and we have people here that can school him on a lot of things. I don't really toot my own horn, but in this case, I feel that I am more competent with computers than he shows himself to be.) Retail experience, in your case, works for you too, again even if you are an idiot. If you are applying for Geek Squad, I would think that an A+ certification (even though it means nothing in the real world) could possibly give you kudos, and maybe some off-the-wall things that you can show off wouldn't hurt. It's good to have a good knowledge base, but in the case of Best Buy, being able to make a sale overrides competence in the information technology department... which explains why "selling" a credit card to a customer was probably the breaker for your interview process.

Craigslist is HORRENDOUS for replies. I did that venture for a solid month and got maybe half a dozen replies out of easily a hundred e-mails sent. People are horrible with correspondence, although there's no excuse since they're LOOKING to hire people. But then again, would you want to work with someone that never communicates promptly? How would that work if you had a critical question prior to finishing a project on time and that person never responded, then blames you for not finishing the project?

Don't give up and keep looking. I know that Wally World is hiring in my area, so I'm aiming for minimum wage to be a cashier or SOMETHING in retail again. Be persistent. Follow up with phone calls, interviews, and applications. That way you're not chasing ghosts and focused on actual opportunities. Obviously you have something somebody wants because you earned an interview. Keep it up and you'll earn that job in no time.

I've had issues with Craigslist as of lately too. Actually they were both about web-design jobs. Two places were hiring a web designer so I created a professional site based on their requirements (they both seem to be website design companies, so it's not for them, it's for clients)... Both companies kept in contact with me for 24 hours and then dropped all contact after. I'm to the point of giving up with Craigslist altogether in terms of job searching.

I've sent in multiple resumes to places nearby as well with absolutely no response. Some of them even keep re-posting that they're hiring, and still won't respond.

What also effects economic recovery is having an economy that is strong at thecore so that the recovery is that much easier.Currently in North America, our economy is no longer manufacturing based. Why?Because we outsourced all of that to other countries.We no longer have the control at the local levelanymore, let alone National level. I also agree with another view put forwardon this thread.It's depressing meeting a 'Senior software engineer' whocouldn't write a line of code if his life depended on it.It seems to happen way too often.The idiots are running things.

I've had issues with Craigslist as of lately too. Actually they were both about web-design jobs. Two places were hiring a web designer so I created a professional site based on their requirements (they both seem to be website design companies, so it's not for them, it's for clients)... Both companies kept in contact with me for 24 hours and then dropped all contact after. I'm to the point of giving up with Craigslist altogether in terms of job searching.
I've sent in multiple resumes to places nearby as well with absolutely no response. Some of them even keep re-posting that they're hiring, and still won't respond.

Wow I just had a quick look at your website and damn it looks good..I don't even know how to achieve half the stuff you did there :S..
and those companies must be retarded...do you currently have a job as a web designer??

As said by someone ahead, a diploma or Graduate Engineering Degree doesn't really have any advantage these days. College degrees and experience does count towards being selected for an interview, such as campus interviews and walk-ins, even if you're a dolt in your subjects. Many computer teachers have a computer science degree and many people here can school such teachers on a lot of things. Nothing to boast about, but in most cases, I feel that students are more competent with computers than the teacher shows himself to be. Experience in retailing, works for you too, again even if you are not made for that. If you are try for Network Administrator, a network certification (even though it means nothing in the real world) could possibly give you kudos, and maybe some off-the-wall things that you can show off wouldn't hurt. It's good to have a good knowledge base, but in the case of being selected, being able to make a good presentation overrides competence in the information technology department.