xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Google Experiences Second Glitch This Month

Google experiences second glitch this month and this time it's not just gmail or google apps. Google.com has been down for over 1 hour by the time of this posting.

The first Google's glitch this month was on September 1st, where Gmail and Google Apps were down over 2 hours. But Google's other services were running without a problem. Even their Apps Status Dashboard was running and indicating only Gmail was down. Google's Apps Status board

This time the entire Google is down and their service pages are not loading at all.

I have two Google Apps accounts which pays $400 per year ($50 per user x 8 accounts). Even though I received an email the last time Google went down saying that I have free $100 account credits towards Google advertising, this time I am unsure about renewing Google Apps Premiere accounts.

If they were free, standard accounts I might be little more patient. But when I'm actually paying whole lot of money to have reliable service rendered and not delivered, I tend to think twice about giving them my money. I only have 8 accounts, what about the enterprises who totally converted to Google Apps and facing this problem? It's every IT guy's nightmare--believe in a service and give the total control over, and find out there's nothing one can do to fix the situation except sit and wait.

This is totally frustrating!!

MY God, Premier accounts are expensive and I also get invitations to try the free 30 day trial. I suppose the setup for standard and premier accounts are the same and hence the downtime affected you as well. After this experience, I am sure Google Premier users will be very frustrated.

that is bound to happen occasionally, and for paying customers, i can understand if it's really frustrating. but an hour or two of downtime? i believe their IT did their best to limit the downtime and resolved the issue as quickly as can be. i don't think any other service could deliver better and faster than their IT. :( although i don't rely too much on google for this kind of thing. maybe when the time comes when we'll all be working "in the cloud" to do our computing needs, although i still won't be persuaded to be a paying client if there is still an option to have it free.just cool it, BH! :lol: smell the roses during downtimes like this. :P

Hi BH! It's been long since we last talk!

It's probably an "accident" by one of the biggest IT company in the world, and I guess no one can assure 100% uptime do they? This might just be the 1% that happens, and you can trust in google that they will get their services up asap. I've read about google's glitch from the news online.

Here's the link to the a report on it --> http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
According to this report apparently glitch happens because more services are looking to construct their sites with cloud-based services, which general became a huge problem for google that first causes their gmail to went down and now their entire services.

After the gmail incident, google have promise in their blog to upgrade their server to support the existing services but how long will it take? We can only wait and see but the recent incident sure would not help convince users, especially BuffaloHelp. =x

Yeah, google apps for all domains were down yesterday. Even gmail was down for some people in asia. Last night we had trouble accessing gmail. Also when we finally got access to gmail we found red notice at the top like unable to import contact. This notice remained till 3:00 pm today. Now right now gmail looks like fixed one. I managed to access my Google apps account for all domains. I can understand the downtime trouble. It works much smoothly once in year downtime is acceptable.

Okay so gmail and gapps were down, but what's more shocking is that the entire google search network was down. People weren't losing money because of this, but Google was surely losing a lot of money and more importantly, it was losing people's trust and it's hard to get back this trust once you've lost it. Oh well, mistakes happen all the time and Google will surely look after this matter in the future. It's not as if the other search engines haven't made any mistakes in the past. Slowly everyone will forget and forgive!!

It is simply not possible for Google to maintain absolute 100% uptime at this time. Like a refrigerator or other white goods, hardware will break down over time and needs to be fixed. I suppose it is the analogy with a water pipe. If it has a leak, you have to turn off the water supply before you can repair the leak or replace the section of pipe where the leak is. Google had no choice but to shut down some of their servers and networks before they could fix the glitches that were causing problems with their GMail and other web applications. It is remarkable for Google to even maintain such a high uptime percentage in comparison to other sites which suffer at least a few hours worth of downtimes in a year.