xisto Community
Nameless_

Cpanel Help? What Is Cpanel Anyway? And More Questions Yay Ive finally got my cPanel place??? Now.... wha

Plenty of examples, it depends on niche websites you're looking for. Take example of Bloggingtips site. One more example of wordpress based community is newathens. And you know about 9rules community ? They have community Chawlk, which used wordpress+Bbpress. I can give you plenty of examples, most of them are from my niches so i gave you more general and social media related ones.

Another way to have community with wordpress is with Vannila forums. Which is lightweight but highliy customizable. Perfect for niches with small traffic and for webmaster who wants simplicity. You can also check Wordpress+forums based community integration using Onepress community.

That was my comment :(.

Also one more thing to tell you about forum +CMS integration. I've found many blogs in your niche that is psychic/psionic, use Joomla. Take example of the site Mediumchannel they use joomla. If you want to install it on your webserver and want to compare these 3 then go ahead install joomla as well and then decide. Depending upon ease of use, themes, forum integration. Also don't take any blog/person's opinion for granted(not even mine), do some personal experiment so that you can find ways to work around CMS and will find out some blogs could be biased about opinion.

Cool thanks... well, just to tell you that um... the newathens.org doesn't really work, because it requires me to log in, and my Mac computer has checked its security and told me that they couldn't find a valid certificate, which means that it may be another site pretending to be newathens.org (yeah, with the https), but I went there anyway and couldn't see anything because I don't have an account. I also went to Chawlk, but it just redirected me to 9rules... is that suppose to happen? But anyway... :lol: Yeah, so I couldn't see the BBpress forums. But I've seen it before and I didn't really like it that much...

I didn't really get GetVanilla, but I went to their community page and I didn't like their layout that much at all...

But I liked the look of the Onepress Community and the Bloggingtips Forums, that's what I'm actually looking for... :P And yeah, I've seen mediumchannel before. My site will be a mix of that, and this. So it'll be a blog on the MAIN site, so that search engines will find it better (I've read somewhere that they like more regularly updated sites than static pages, so I won't have a home page, I'll just put all the information on the about page), and I'll have a easily accessible forum / community site, and have the "recent forum threads and topics" on the front page, just like Blogging tips.

I actually like Blogging tips a lot. :(

I really do, they have all the basic layout things that I need, and I just only need to add a sub menu bar under the red bar at the bottom to fufil my needs... :(

And change the whole layout to fit my niche and topic, of course.

But now I'm stuck. Wordpress or Drupal? I'll have to take a look at Joomla too... What do you people prefer? I'd like to get some advice too... I still haven't figured a way to get out of the default home page (admin centre) on Drupal on my local webserver, so.... yeah... Wordpress's way easier, I suppose.

Cool thanks... well, just to tell you that um... the newathens.org doesn't really work, because it requires me to log in, and my Mac computer has checked its security and told me that they couldn't find a valid certificate, which means that it may be another site pretending to be newathens.org (yeah, with the https), but I went there anyway and couldn't see anything because I don't have an account. I also went to Chawlk, but it just redirected me to 9rules... is that suppose to happen? But anyway... smile.gif Yeah, so I couldn't see the BBpress forums. But I've seen it before and I didn't really like it that much...

Newathens is safe site, that login page forced your safari for warning. it's just that like our blogs and forums it doesn't have it's own certificate. How can we expect from community forums ? you can remove https and try the link, register and take a look it. and oh yeah, chawlk is part of 9rules, and they re redesigning it. So that is why it was not accessible IMO.

I didn't really get GetVanilla, but I went to their community page and I didn't like their layout that much at all...

It's vanilla not getvanilla. And how can you judge software from their designs ? There are plenty of good themes and layout available for vanilla. So you've to do experiment to try things out. devlounge had forum based on vanilla but it down now. Otherwise i could have shown you cool vanilla layouts. Anyway, you've to check community themes of vanilla to try things out.

But now I'm stuck. Wordpress or Drupal? I'll have to take a look at Joomla too... What do you people prefer? I'd like to get some advice too... I still haven't figured a way to get out of the default home page (admin centre) on Drupal on my local webserver, so.... yeah... Wordpress's way easier, I suppose.

My opinion is Joomla and wordpress are easy to learn and there are bridges to forum software available. In comparison to drupal, you can say joomla and wordpress are much better. In terms of theme, plugins and availability of designer and ease of use as well. Yes, you can try Joomla and then decide. Also i recommend you to install some forum software and try to bridge them with wordpress and drupal so that you can get idea which is easier and better.

I'm not doing this as a shameless plug, more for examples :lol: I started with my blog on Wordpress, and still use it at the moment. However, for any new sites I develop (such as this one) I tend to side with Drupal. Whether you find Wordpress or Drupal easier is a matter of personal preference, but to use either one effectively you have to put in the time to learn it.

In comparison to drupal, you can say joomla and wordpress are much better. In terms of theme, plugins and availability of designer and ease of use as well.

Saying that something is better is purely a matter of opinion. For me, Joomla isn't particularly good and Wordpress isn't powerful enough, so Drupal is better for what I want to do. It's all a matter of personal opinion and your exact requirements.

One of the main reasons I now use Drupal (after using Wordpress and Joomla, and others) is the wide availability of plugins and themes, and it's power and extensibility.

Also i recommend you to install some forum software and try to bridge them with wordpress and drupal so that you can get idea which is easier and better.

For reference, Drupal has a forum module included, so there is no need to bridge it to anything else. If you have an existing forum, or want to use a different one, then there are bridging modules available though.

Saying that something is better is purely a matter of opinion. For me, Joomla isn't particularly good and Wordpress isn't powerful enough, so Drupal is better for what I want to do. It's all a matter of personal opinion and your exact requirements.

Yes, that was my point. That's why i earlier cleared with him that to check if wordpress or drupal is easy for him. He checked that and found out wordpress is easy to use for him in comparison with drupal. Now if he starts to edit themes of drupal and wordpress, let him see that as well which is better. again it's his personal opinion on it. He could find drupal good with theme editing. Who knows ? It depends on his personal experience with those software and how he views at it.

For reference, Drupal has a forum module included, so there is no need to bridge it to anything else. If you have an existing forum, or want to use a different one, then there are bridging modules available though.

Though Drupal has forum module. Depending upon his selection of forum software he needs to use those bridges. and the situation is he's starting blog first and building community later on it based on readers of blog. So this way, that bridge module is necessary. And as we're unaware of which forum software he selected or have in his mind(maybe phpbb or smf no idea) so i asked him to download and test the forum and CMS with bridge module and then decide.

I'm not doing this as a shameless plug, more for examples :P I started with my blog on Wordpress, and still use it at the moment. However, for any new sites I develop (such as this one) I tend to side with Drupal. Whether you find Wordpress or Drupal easier is a matter of personal preference, but to use either one effectively you have to put in the time to learn it.

One of the main reasons I now use Drupal (after using Wordpress and Joomla, and others) is the wide availability of plugins and themes, and it's power and extensibility.

Hmm? Yeah, OK.

I agree with you with the point that Drupal gives you more flexibility in changing your site themes and all that... but the thing is I don't know how to use it... I mean, I do, but all I get is the same administrator area page that I have absolutely no idea of how to change it and all that, but I'll take a closer look into everything and see if I can figure everything out.

And yeah, it did say that the post will go once I put my actual new post up, but I don't know how to post in the first place... talk about being stupid. :lol:

Yes, that was my point. That's why i earlier cleared with him that to check if wordpress or drupal is easy for him. He checked that and found out wordpress is easy to use for him in comparison with drupal. Now if he starts to edit themes of drupal and wordpress, let him see that as well which is better. again it's his personal opinion on it. He could find drupal good with theme editing. Who knows ? It depends on his personal experience with those software and how he views at it.

Though Drupal has forum module. Depending upon his selection of forum software he needs to use those bridges. and the situation is he's starting blog first and building community later on it based on readers of blog. So this way, that bridge module is necessary. And as we're unaware of which forum software he selected or have in his mind(maybe phpbb or smf no idea) so i asked him to download and test the forum and CMS with bridge module and then decide.

I have now installed Joomla... I know how to use it, so I think it's better than Drupal AT THIS POINT OF TIME because I know how to use it, though I find it extremely annoying when you keep having to press the "Close" button (the one with a red circle and a white X) every time you add a new module... But I like it how they have a "banner" client and all that. I tested it out though only the first default template can use that one module properly. But anyway.

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to change Joomla into a blogging platform software that archives automatically. Are you meant to archive everything separately and manually? But yeah. And I also like the fact that Joomla allows you to put polls on the site... I need that.

But I still don't know how to make everything look similar to Mediumchannel and an actual blog.

Also, I've been looking at the templates on all the website building platforms: Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal, and I can't find a template with two navigational bars on the top of the page in which one of them is a two level navigational banner.

So it's like this (What I want it to be like):

Top of the Page Banner: The normal navigational buttons like Home, About, Contact, Donate, etc, etc ... ... and then a search module

Middle of the Page Banner: The Logo and an advertisment banner.

Bottom of the Page Banner: A two level navigational banner with sub categories in the normal categories. So for me, it's like Psychic (main category. About Psychic stuff (sub category one), Learn about it (sub catergory two)... and so on.

I'll do a quick example for you here...

Posted Image

And here...

Posted Image

(But with a top navigational banner with it (not categories, but static pages - Home, About, Contact, Donate, etc, etc)

Thanks guys... OK, this is getting out of topic, I'll have to make another thread soon.

If you do choose to use Drupal, this thread explains what you want to do. Check out the linked site (straight.com) and check if that is the sort of menu you want:

https://groups.drupal.org/node/19225

If that is what you want, there is a URL to a module you can install in Drupal that gives you site the same functionality. Some people have also managed to get a similar thing going on with Drupal's default Primary and Secondary menus.

If you do choose to use Drupal, this thread explains what you want to do. Check out the linked site (straight.com) and check if that is the sort of menu you want:
https://groups.drupal.org/node/19225

If that is what you want, there is a URL to a module you can install in Drupal that gives you site the same functionality. Some people have also managed to get a similar thing going on with Drupal's default Primary and Secondary menus.

Cool, thanks. Looks like you really like Drupal, don't you? Hmm... well, I would be trying that, but the only thing is, well, not the only thing, but the main problem is that I can't get out of the default page whenever I'm on Drupal, and I can't seem to be able to change it into a blogging platform... at all... so that's the main problem, I suppose... :lol:

But if I can change that, then I'll be able to try it... I don't know. It seems like to me that Drupal is much more flexible than Joomla!, and Joomla! is much much more flexible than Wordpress, though Wordpress is the easiest to use, especially if you're only developing a blog, and Joomla! is easier to use than Drupal, and so on and so on... etc.

I don't think that I'll be using Wordpress though. Everything is too limited in terms of flexibility and I do prefer both Drupal and Joomla! more... but the Drupal's two navigational levels things would help me a lot, because I've been searching everywhere on the web for a two level navigational banner ever since I started my first blogspot blog... :P

In which I have had no success whatsoever.

But in this case I suppose my thing is saved, for now.

But if I am to use Drupal, then I'll have to learn how to use it first... :(

But thanks for the help, rvalkass. :(

Cool, thanks. Looks like you really like Drupal, don't you?

I'm most familiar with it and it's the one I know most about and have the most experience of using, along with Wordpress. Wordpress is simple and easy. Drupal is a bit more complicated, but much more powerful. Joomla for me was an unhappy medium; not powerful enough but not simple enough either.

Hmm... well, I would be trying that, but the only thing is, well, not the only thing, but the main problem is that I can't get out of the default page whenever I'm on Drupal, and I can't seem to be able to change it into a blogging platform... at all... so that's the main problem, I suppose... :lol:

To get to the main page of your Drupal installation, click on the Drupal logo in the top left of the page (the blue head with white sunglasses on... who picked that logo?!). Until you make a post on the site then a default message will appear with some basic instructions. The admin area is "built in" as part of the site in the menu on the left. You just get a few more menu options that allow you to access all the admin stuff.

To enable blogging, click Administer in the menu on the left, then Site Building then Modules. Click the 'enabled' checkbox next to the Blog module. Hit the Save Configuration button at the bottom. Blogging is now enabled. Click Create Content on the left and you should now see a Blog Post option :P

I'm most familiar with it and it's the one I know most about and have the most experience of using, along with Wordpress. Wordpress is simple and easy. Drupal is a bit more complicated, but much more powerful. Joomla for me was an unhappy medium; not powerful enough but not simple enough either.
To get to the main page of your Drupal installation, click on the Drupal logo in the top left of the page (the blue head with white sunglasses on... who picked that logo?!). Until you make a post on the site then a default message will appear with some basic instructions. The admin area is "built in" as part of the site in the menu on the left. You just get a few more menu options that allow you to access all the admin stuff.

To enable blogging, click Administer in the menu on the left, then Site Building then Modules. Click the 'enabled' checkbox next to the Blog module. Hit the Save Configuration button at the bottom. Blogging is now enabled. Click Create Content on the left and you should now see a Blog Post option :P

Ah... OK, yeah, I've done some research and it seems like Drupal is mainly for developers and people that like digging into code. I'm not scared of that, and I'm willing to learn, so i've done some basic lessons of Drupal on the internet and I'm ready to go... :P

And thanks for the post... I've done my first post and finally got rid of the annoying administrator area that was hogging the front page!!! I did go to modules, and there was a "Blog API" and a "Blog" Module, and I enabled the "Blog API", because apparently I think that some one told me that you don't need the "Blog" Module unless you wanted your members to have individual blogs, and since I don't need that (yet), I didn't enable it.

But anyway, thanks for the push-off on Drupal... but the thing is that I've just had an extremely big catastrophe... but anyway.... I just thought that this thread has gone waaaaayy off-topic, so I created a new one here with the big main problem that I've encountered there:
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/68560-help-on-drupal-and-other-open-source-cmss-incase-the-thread-got-off-topic-my-whole-drupal-site-disappeared-on-mamp-as-i-was-enabling-a-module/

And yeah, thanks for everything...

P.S. Yeah, I also think that the logo looks a bit retarded... but what can you say? After all, it's one of the top two open source CMSs in the world.... :P

(I really can't tell the difference between Joomla! and Drupal yet though. They are like, the same, and I encountered the same problems... And no, I didn't see the Create Blog Content thing yet. Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough into the functions, but now I just need to get the thing working again if I ever want to see the retarded logo on my local webserver again. :))

bro cpanel is the control panel for your sitevia cpanel only you can get the things done which you want to do or else you will not be able to use the siteand its content.