xisto Community
akira550

Programming Language i want to invent this

One of the easiest programming languages, yet still very powerful is the good old Pascal - with it's new reincarnation Object Pascal. In my opinion it is just as powerful as C (granted it hasn't got the same versatility) even though some things you can do in a few lines in C you can do in Pascal in a few more lines. But it's closer to the normal language then any other. And in some cases it's just as fast, if not faster, then C. (I probably will get a spanking from all the C programmers out there! :))

But when you think about bringing programming languages to the spoken language you have to remember 3 thinks:

1. There is a huge penalty in speed (and I do mean huge). Assembler, the closest thing to the computer's machine code is the fastest of them all. Although it's very very very far from the spoken language it offers the best possible speed... It's so fast compared to any other language that it's even recommended to integrate it in software where exhaustive calculations are done - so that the speed difference really becomes noticeable.

In fact programming languages are split in 2: low-level programming languages and high-level programming languages. In the first there is Assembler (and others) and in the second is all others - C, C++, Java, (Object) Pascal, etc. I guess you could say that the farther you are from the spoken language and closest you are to the computer's machine code the fastest the language is.

2. Typing speed. Making a programming language resemble spoken code means you'll have to type extremely long sentences in some cases. And that's not a good thing when you are in hurry of making a deadline and putting food on the table for your family.

3. Programming shouldn't be for the masses. (I mean useful programming). It's like hitting yourself in the head with a stone. While you design a programming language (and that's done usually done in another) your killing your own job by bringing everyone to the table.

While there should be a very easy language for letting students discover the wonderful world of programming, it's just not good for the community to have a very easy and very powerful programming language (that's not even possible because of point 1). I have to remind of Pascal... I've learned Pascal a school (even though it's long gone from the mainstream of programming languages) and I can tell you it's very good to students (it's pretty easy, yet not easy enough to make the transition to a new programming language extremely hard).

Edited by adriantc (see edit history)

In my opinion, I think this is quite impossible. As computer are a logic algorithm monster which read binary. If maybe you can write a compiler which can compile it, I will doubt the program effeiciency. The compiler cant possibly correct grammar error and a lot of other type of error like typo error. There are endless possibility of error in english let's alone other language like chinese. Even if you can write a gramatically error-free english, It still need to consider the sentence is passive or active. Other part should be easy to work on. Maybe you can think of a way to overcome this problem maybe? Then maybe it will become reality.

Well, your dream might be possible to realise somewhere in the future, with much coding and brain and everything. However, I don't really see the practical use of this programming language. Why?

Quite simply, it would be impossible at debugging. Let's say I wrote this sentence:

Print out user's input and then enable drag&drop.

It could also be written like this:

Return what user wrote in TextBox1 and enable drag and drop afterwards.

It's a stupid example, but it indicates the possible issues here. Also, the computer would need to understand which blocks of code relate to each other. So, for instance, it should understand that "Return" should equal "what user wrote" and not "TextBox1". That is not yet quite possible.

However, there are a lot of simple languages out there that are very similar to plain English. SQL, for instance, would look like this:

SELECT * FROM Artists WHERE id=1 AND Name=John

(the star means "everything")

Microsoft's Visual Basic is also very understandable:

if myMothersAge = 15 then MsgBox("Your momma's young!")end if

(excuse me for any possible mistakes, it's been a while since I used Basic last time ;))

So... Most beginners would probably have an easy time dealing with these two languages. I know Basic was my first language at around 9 years old (and I'm no evil genius :P)...

But your dream is nice, I hope you succeed one day and prove us all wrong. Then you can show Microsoft and Apple what real programming means. :P

someday just a wish. i want to invent a programming language that is written in full english paragraph and sentence to make programming easy and friendly

There is one, its called runrev. See this site for details on it: runrev.com
Its multi-platform.

i also want to create an OS that can defeat LINUX and MSahaha what a big dream
and i want to make it free just like LINUX
i dont want to be a greed like MS

There is one, its called Mac OS. It comes free with every computer that it can be installed on. :)

There is one, its called runrev. See this site for details on it: runrev.comIts multi-platform.

There is one, its called Mac OS. It comes free with every computer that it can be installed on. :)

I have not checked out the first one yet, but I can say for sure that Mac OS is not free. Sure, it comes "for free" with every computer it can be installed on (i.e. a Macintosh computer), but so does Windows come installed with most laptops - also "for free".

It actually all counts up to the price. ;)

And also, albeit being a good OS, Mac is still far from perfect and Windows 7 (and not Vista or XP or anything below) vs. Mac OSX is a tight choice. I would, personally, like to have both, each on a separate computer. Maybe in a few months. :)

I view programming languages as being like English. Once I understand the syntax (which is like the words) it's very easy to figure out the rest.Most of programming is more in logic than anything else -- for example, if you want a computer to do the square root of 9, you have to explain to it *how* to, just as you would a normal person. In that sense, there is no difference between programming as it already is, and speaking to other people.In a lot of ways I find programming *easier* than trying to speak to others. At least the computer understands things the first time and doesn't need to be repeated, :P.

Sure, it comes "for free" with every computer it can be installed on (i.e. a Macintosh computer), but so does Windows come installed with most laptops - also "for free". It actually all counts up to the price. ;)

You are right. But like you said, Windows ships with some PCs only whereas Mac OS goes with every Mac. And there are so many flavours of Windows to go with, where as Mac OS gives everything with every Mac.

And also, albeit being a good OS, Mac is still far from perfect and Windows 7 (and not Vista or XP or anything below) vs. Mac OSX is a tight choice. I would, personally, like to have both, each on a separate computer. Maybe in a few months. :)

I think that which OS you like is basically a matter of needs. For example, I do all my work/study/web design/coding on my Mac. But when its time to blow off steam, I go play video games on my brother's desktop PC with Windows (which didn't ship with the computer).
In my opinion, Mac OS beats Windows for laptops with a trackpad. Its much much easier to operate with its multi-touch trackpad.
In addition, I think the UI of Mac OS is way better than Windows.
But then again, that is my choice. Other people will have different opinions.

You are right. But like you said, Windows ships with some PCs only whereas Mac OS goes with every Mac. And there are so many flavours of Windows to go with, where as Mac OS gives everything with every Mac.

That is such a "Get a Mac" commercial thing to say. :D

But I agree with you. When upgrading Windows from one version of 7 to another, it is just a matter of seconds between "updating" and saying "Your PC is now upgraded to Windows [ultimate/Enterprise/Home/etc]".

I think that which OS you like is basically a matter of needs. For example, I do all my work/study/web design/coding on my Mac. But when its time to blow off steam, I go play video games on my brother's desktop PC with Windows (which didn't ship with the computer).

Sure, the Windows OS did not ship with your brother's laptop. But, if a Mac shipped without OSX, it'd cost you a couple of bucks less.

I also agree that a Mac is probably faster for some coding and such, and a Windows PC is definitely more appropriate for gaming (depending on your configuration, that can be either "serious" or "casual" gaming).

In my opinion, Mac OS beats Windows for laptops with a trackpad. Its much much easier to operate with its multi-touch trackpad.

I do not know much about the multi-touch trackpad, since I've only used a Mac laptop (Macbook) twice in my life, so I am going to take your word for it. :)

In addition, I think the UI of Mac OS is way better than Windows.But then again, that is my choice. Other people will have different opinions.

Agree with you totally on these two.

The UI looks so much nicer (okay, maybe SOME elements not), there is no discussion about that.

And people will choose their OS depending on their needs. Basic users would probably go for Windows (like your, or my, or someone's grandmother :D) and users that need a powerful machine for coding will use a Mac. But then again, ASP.NET programmers would choose Windows. iPhone programmers would choose a Mac (damn Apple! I would like to code for the iPhone, too, without buying a new laptop! :D).

So, personal taste, I guess. ;)

There is one, its called runrev. See this site for details on it: runrev.com

Thanks for mentioning about runrev. I just downloaded it and i also got free edition license key for this. Revoution media language is english like programming language. I also managed to use their IDE. It's simple like visual studio (RAD tool) to build applications. But only thing i failed to find out so far is how to deploy the application to desktop. There is option for deploying the application as web application. Application can be hosted on their server or on our own. But as far as i'm concerned free edition didn't have any desktop application deployment feature. Anyway, thanks for mentioning runrev. I had fun playing with rev.

Thanks for mentioning about runrev.

You are welcome. :)

But only thing i failed to find out so far is how to deploy the application to desktop.

I used the Mac version once and that did have an option to deploy a desktop application. You should consult their developer pages if you want to learn more.

Dream my friend I think that you are totally dreaming because to creat a programming language you have to study a lot and dream, of course, but study a lot, too. The programming world is complicated and no all the humans have the patience to learn it or practice it and I think that programming is bored sometimes when you are obligated to do it, but entertained when you have a project in your ming and you desire to make it real. A new programming language is totally necessary but you have to go to the college study in some software special grades because only study a career related with software and programming is not enough. Fortunately for you, the big companies like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are wanting people like you with that desire to create something new. But desire is not everything and you have to study and work a lot, like I had said. Maybe you can start reading some free ebooks in the internet about programming and start to program in some easy(relativelity, of course)programming languages like Pascal. And of course learn and understand some old but necessary languages like Foxpro, C++ and all the languages that you have heard about it. I recommend you to don?t learn the Html and websites programing, well maybe PHP yes. Because, most internet languages are very easy and unnecessary because there are some WYSIWYG programs that let the language program behing and make possible to almost all the people to create a website without knowledge of programming in Html or something. I want to congratulate you because you are thinking in the future of programming but don?t let your dreams in the air, study all the programming languages first and then you will can to create a better programming language and make to all of us the life a little easier.

That is such a "Get a Mac" commercial thing to say. :D

Maybe I've been seeing too much of them. :)

Sure, the Windows OS did not ship with your brother's laptop. But, if a Mac shipped without OSX, it'd cost you a couple of bucks less.

Hmmm...maybe. But buying a OS separately still 'feels' more expensive. ;)

I also agree that a Mac is probably faster for some coding and such, and a Windows PC is definitely more appropriate for gaming (depending on your configuration, that can be either "serious" or "casual" gaming).

Yup. Macs don't score at gaming. My Mac can't even run Dead Space at high quality! (In Windows, of course, with Bootcamp).
It runs like a charm in the PC, perhaps due to the i7 processor. :)

I do not know much about the multi-touch trackpad, since I've only used a Mac laptop (Macbook) twice in my life, so I am going to take your word for it. :)

Thank you. :)
It really is great. And with the Magic Mouse, all the features are available in a mouse too! (Well, most.)

The UI looks so much nicer (okay, maybe SOME elements not), there is no discussion about that.

I do miss Aero Effect.

And people will choose their OS depending on their needs. Basic users would probably go for Windows (like your, or my, or someone's grandmother :D) and users that need a powerful machine for coding will use a Mac. But then again, ASP.NET programmers would choose Windows. iPhone programmers would choose a Mac (damn Apple! I would like to code for the iPhone, too, without buying a new laptop! :D).
So, personal taste, I guess. ;)

Agreed. And even for non-technical reasons, like updating cell-phone software. That can't be done on a Mac for SonyEricsson, Nokia, etc.
And Windows based Pocket PCs can't even sync without third party software like Missing Sync or Sync Mate.

That could be a code for a short program in such a language:

Program starts

Event: User Clicks Browse; Action: Open File Dialogue.

Event: User Selects File; Action: Open Selected File.

Issue: File Type Not Supported; Action: Display Error Message.

Event: User Clicks Save; Action: Of Course You Save It Bugger!

Program ends