xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dragonfang00

Windows 7/mac Os Or Stick To Xp?

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a new desktop and thought of upgrading my OS from XP to 7/Mac OS. Any comments between this two would be great.. or should I stick to XP? I am using programs specially adobe products.. I also play some games and according to some, you can't install most of the games on mac. I also use some programs that is windows only. and yet they say if you're a graphic guy or something then you should also get a Mac. (kinda pricey $_$ for a dual boot) the reason i'm asking opinion. and yes, i'm a graphic guy..opinions about these OSs would be great.thanks

Since you're saying that you're mostly into graphics, I would indeed recommend a Mac to you, even though it's pricey. The security that comes with it is worth every penny.Of course you can get this security for free by trying Linux, but you won't get all your hi-def work done in linux :lol: And I'm sure gaming won't be a very big problem on Mac, since there's always the option of good ol' dual-booting. I use Windows 7 purely as a gaming platform and for nothing else. I suggest you do the same, since Mac does pack in a punch for everything that it offers.

I would suggest you dont change to MAC.Windows XP is far better then the Apple AC by millions.On the XP you can install nearly everything but on the MAC your limited.

Mac OS should only really be used on a Mac :P. If you are going to use Adobe products & Gaming I suggest you downgrade the desktop once you get it to Windows XP. This has the most performance. Though in the end it is your choice only my suggestion :lol:.

Since you're saying that you're mostly into graphics, I would indeed recommend a Mac to you, even though it's pricey. The security that comes with it is worth every penny.Of course you can get this security for free by trying Linux, but you won't get all your hi-def work done in linux :P And I'm sure gaming won't be a very big problem on Mac, since there's always the option of good ol' dual-booting. I use Windows 7 purely as a gaming platform and for nothing else. I suggest you do the same, since Mac does pack in a punch for everything that it offers.

I can't really think of using linux.. I have used linux and it's kinda hard since most of the companies doesn't support linux. Mac, on the other hand, has many good feedbacks when it comes to graphic related things AND VIRUS almost 0% not like windows.. :lol: since i'm a designer I will really like to use a kind yet I still lack experience and information about mac OSs. I'm still thinking though since I am not rushing my decision.

I would recommend you to go for windows 7. It is new, much more powerful in terms of both the speed and features. It will be more future proof upgrade for you and no doubt in saying that it is much more better than xp. I don't know much about mac OS but, if you are a game enthusiastic then windows 7 is the best option available for you. Why? Well, because I have tried to play nfs carbon in my system with xp installed which it failed to do and crash everytime with a blank screen whenever I tried to run it but then I tried installing it in Windows 7 which amazingly managed to run the game successfully with no change in system hardware configuration. That is some thing really amazing!

I would suggest stick to xp for few time as windows7 is in intial phase and will require time to fix early problem (compatiblity etc). But MAC is costly and best if you can affordI am using window7 and facing some compatibility issues

If you're using a new computer, it's much better to use a newer OS. I used to use XP, but when I got a newer computer with Vista, I installed XP, but the drivers weren't as good as they could be and it seemed that Vista worked much better, so I uninstalled XP and started using Vista SP1 and didn't have any problems, but if you can I suggest you to use Windows 7, it seems to work better than Vista even though for me both are stable..Some people install XP just to play games, because Vista or Windows 7 takes much more RAM and resources, so they turn everything off to make it use only 95 MB of RAM where Vista usually takes ~! GB or even a little more, but as I have 4 GB usually I even turn off virtual memory, leave it only about 512 for some apps which require it :lol:

Sounds like some people are pitching their fanboyism at OP. :lol:

Windows XP still works, no doubt about that. I think that most people will be happy to stick with XP for a long while even after Windows 7 comes out, and it fits with your requirements with using Adobe programs, playing games, and your Windows-only programs. Windows XP and Windows 7 are rather comparable with performance for the most part, but if you look at network performance differences, Windows 7 wins by a long shot. Depending on how computer-savvy you are, Windows 7 can be a good winner with ease of use, as it's geared to be more user-friendly, not to mention with a little flair and eye candy. In this case, it would be perfectly viable to stay with Windows XP or upgrade to Windows 7, although I would recommend Windows 7 just because it IS upgraded and that XP will be losing support on Microsoft's end as they push 7 out to everyone. April 8, 2014 is the deadline when all XP support ends. Right now, all XP has is hotfixes to kind of keep things current on the security side.

Going with Leopard or Snow Leopard is going to have its hurdles, and anyone can tell you that right off the back without being a fanboy of M$ or not. I haven't use OSX to any real degree, so I can't give you an accurate account as to whether you should go with OSX or not. There are programs that will offer the opportunity to run Windows programs on OSX like CrossOver Mac, but you might want to look to see if your programs are supported first before you make that leap. Macs are touted to be vastly superior in multimedia design, but I don't see how considering that the Adobe line for Windows (Premiere for movies, After Effects for adding special effects to movies, Photoshop, Fireworks for the web, Lightroom for RAW editing and showcasing/organizing, Soundbooth for audio, Illustrator for vector images, etc.) is pretty damn good to begin with, not to mention Sony Vegas, Maya (which I believe Pixar uses), and other programs that are used by the industry. Mac does have Final Cut Pro and iMovie, of which FCP I've heard to be very good, and Adobe does have Mac support. OSX is also apparently really good performance-wise, and you do get the added bonus of not being as much of a target for malware (although make no mistake... you're not invulnerable as most Macheads will make it seem).

If anyone can actually tell OP what he has on the software side for OSX, that would be awesome. So far, I'm only reading crap that won't exactly help OP out (since no one really elaborated on what OSX actually offers for software), hence the fanboyism I'm seeing. :P

I also saw Linux in the mix somewhere between the Windows and OSX battlefield. Linux may be another alternative, but as far as multimedia goes, I'm not exactly sure what it offers for you in the power-use department. Ubuntu Studio would fit you greatly for what it offers, I would think. The only program I know personally would be GIMP (which is basically a clone of Adobe Photoshop) and since it's almost identical, there's not as much of a learning curve there, but with everything else, you would have to learn each and every program you use on Ubuntu. However, keep in mind that your time learning these alternatives can pay off, considering the fact that these programs are FREE. Keep that in mind.

Just because you're a graphics/multimedia guy doesn't mean that you won't be cool not toting a Macbook Pro. Everyone judges the famous white laptop as a symbol of trendiness and can-do-no-wrong, but remember what you'll have to work with when it comes to working with the software available and the restrictions to choosing Windows over OSX and vice versa.

Here's an expensive plus, though: Since Macs have Intel chips in them and you can dual-boot using Boot Camp or what-have you, you could snag a MacBook and dual-boot with ease and have both operating systems. Expensive and cost-prohibitive, yes. But if you could save up, it could be another option to look at. Heck, you could even triple-boot and save some money using FREE alternatives in Ubuntu Studio, play games and use your existing Adobe software with XP/7, and maybe use Final Cut Pro or whatever with OSX. :(