xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

Does Trap17 Earn Money From Answers.com This is a question that Ive always wanted to get answered since t

Hey people,

If you have notice, Xisto not only provide Kontera to people that have less than one hundred posts or are non-members (guests), but they also provide a dictionary and meaning service that is hosted my answers.com.

Now, this is done by double clicking any word on Xisto apart from the links and the words that you type while you are posting. I have noticed this since the first day that I came, which isn't long ago, but I thought I should ask the most important questions and then go to the less important ones. Now that I've got my Wordpress Blog running on my local webserver (MAMP), I thought I might ask you this:

Does Xisto earn money by providing this feature?

The thing is, I think that it is rather artificial and makes the site rather commercial. And I don't like it... and unless Xisto gains anything from it, I really don't see the point of implementing this feature into the site because it will only hinder it's potential...

What do you guys think? Does Xisto earn anything from all this?

What you're looking on Xisto is this. And NO, Xisto is not earning any revenue by showing any answers.com widgets on forum. This is free service from answers.com for webmaster. This service is provided in order to enhance site experience of most of the communities. Larger communities do require widgets like dictionary, thesaurus and encyclopedia. If you notice you'll even find bookmark widget at the top right hand side of the Xisto forum. And to tell you that even that is free. Xisto is not at all generating any revenue from those widgets.

If you want to confirm this you can go to this page for answers.com widgets and services. No where in their service agreement they're mentioning that they're paying webmasters in anyway. I'm not sure if Xisto did exclusive contracts or so. But as there is no ads on those answer.com results. I don't think this is any agreement then, just plain service from answer.com.

The thing is, I think that it is rather artificial and makes the site rather commercial. And I don't like it... and unless Xisto gains anything from it, I really don't see the point of implementing this feature into the site because it will only hinder it's potential...

What do you mean by artificial ? Adding widgets to website/forum makes it artificial ? I didn't get you here. By the way, i don't think it hinders potential of site in anyway. I think you're stretching issue of inclusion of simple widget of answer.com. Lol,yeah.

What you're looking on Xisto is this. And NO, Xisto is not earning any revenue by showing any answers.com widgets on forum. This is free service from answers.com for webmaster. This service is provided in order to enhance site experience of most of the communities. Larger communities do require widgets like dictionary, thesaurus and encyclopedia. If you notice you'll even find bookmark widget at the top right hand side of the Xisto forum. And to tell you that even that is free. Xisto is not at all generating any revenue from those widgets.

If you want to confirm this you can go to this page for answers.com widgets and services. No where in their service agreement they're mentioning that they're paying webmasters in anyway. I'm not sure if Xisto did exclusive contracts or so. But as there is no ads on those answer.com results. I don't think this is any agreement then, just plain service from answer.com.

What do you mean by artificial ? Adding widgets to website/forum makes it artificial ? I didn't get you here. By the way, i don't think it hinders potential of site in anyway. I think you're stretching issue of inclusion of simple widget of answer.com. Lol,yeah.

Oh.... OK. Thanks.

Yeah well... I mean, the box thingy just looks... BAD... maybe it's the blue banner at the top, but I just don't know... it looks the same as the Kontera ads... but worse, maybe, because the blue stands out.

If they can like, make it smaller, cuter, and things without the gigantic banner at the top that will be great... just a mini speech bubble with a black stroke-like border around it, with the phrase "Answers.com" small and mini at the bottom. :lol:

And it'll be plain white.

The answer's no, but even if it is yes it's not a problem coz t17 deserves it :lol: Personally, I don't find much use for that widget and I've never used it till now. But there may a lot of members who will put it to good use so let's not bother much about its appearance and all that!