xisto Community
The Simpleton

Which Was The First 3d Game You Ever Played?

Members belonging to the present generation would probably find this question stupid, because all of them grew up playing 3d games. But there are a lot of us who were initiated to the gaming world with only 2d games such as pacman, contra, super mario, prince of persia (the original 2d game!) etc. These were the first games I ever played and was instantly bitten by the gaming bug. Today after getting used to playing 3d games, when I try playing those old games, I wonder how I used to enjoy those at all! They're still fun to play now, but somehow they feel a it boring compared to all the hi-tech games we get today.I began to wonder how I lost my love for the good old games....the answer was simple - the first 3d game that I ever played influenced me so deeply that I forgot all about the golden age ;) Sadly, I never remember even today what that first 3d game was. It was an FPS and the nearest thing that I can think of is quake 2, but I'm not sure. Do any of you remember the first 3d game you played in your life? Let it be good or bad I'm sure it must have enthralled you at least a little bit! If you remember do share your experience here so that I can try some of those games as well.

I guess the first 3D game I played was probably Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 but I think that must have been on a friend's computer rather than my own. It made a welcome change from 2D gaming. As for first 2D games, there were hundreds of DOS games on floppy disks being played on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups ;) The worrying thing is I still have most of those floppy disks! Three games that leap to mind are Balloon Challenge and Wallpipe, both developed by Soleau Software and Castle of the Winds, developed by Rick Saada (the days when one person single-handedly developed a game!).

I think the first game i played was doom, i think i was about 13 at the time... I actually still have memories playing it at that time. Only got 3 levels in because i would play it only on occasional visit to my cousins house. It had a great engrossing atmosphere.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

oh I remember doom too - but wasn't the first doom game in 2d? i think the third doom game came out in basic 3d. i don't remember exactly it was such a long time ago. wolfenstein was also a similar game but had another type of atmosphere and all.

I guess the first 3D game I played was probably Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 but I think that must have been on a friend's computer rather than my own. It made a welcome change from 2D gaming. As for first 2D games, there were hundreds of DOS games on floppy disks being played on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups ;) The worrying thing is I still have most of those floppy disks! Three games that leap to mind are Balloon Challenge and Wallpipe, both developed by Soleau Software and Castle of the Winds, developed by Rick Saada (the days when one person single-handedly developed a game!).

Ohhhhh, the times of Windows 3.11... My dad always had it since 1997, until he upgraded to 98. I also remember the good old games, like Bang-Bang, Chomp, all that. The first 3D game I ever played, yes, was Doom too.

Fifa 1998, first game i ever played on my pc, i had to ask my brother to enter the game, that bad i sucked at PC's at that time :]If i remember corectly it was a demo version, but damn i enjoyed playing it Italy vs Englad was the only option, played them so many times*downloads fifa 98*Hehe, after that i just end up playing Fifa 99 (full version), some weird shooter that i cant remember his name and after that .... blank memory don't remember any other games xD

@post 4 Na, im pretty sure doom started as 3D. Your right wolfenstein started 2d then to 3d. Other good 3d games shortly after doom 1 which came out were "rise of the triads", "heretic", "hexen" all these were not bad too. Then after that it was on to "blood", "duke nukem"..... memories.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

@post 4Na, im pretty sure doom started as 3D. Your right wolfenstein started 2d then to 3d. Other good 3d games shortly after doom 1 which came out were "rise of the triads", "heretic", "hexen" all these were not bad too. Then after that it was on to "blood", "duke nukem"..... memories.

Oh, then I must have had mixed it up with another game - I sure used to play a lot in those days. Wolfenstein was one which I enjoyed in particular. I remember playing Fifa too and the demo was indeed a great one. Ah, these good old memories sure are good. Too bad we can't live in them :lol:
Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

Members belonging to the present generation would probably find this question stupid, because all of them grew up playing 3d games. But there are a lot of us who were initiated to the gaming world with only 2d games such as pacman, contra, super mario, prince of persia (the original 2d game!) etc. These were the first games I ever played and was instantly bitten by the gaming bug. Today after getting used to playing 3d games, when I try playing those old games, I wonder how I used to enjoy those at all! They're still fun to play now, but somehow they feel a it boring compared to all the hi-tech games we get today.
I began to wonder how I lost my love for the good old games....the answer was simple - the first 3d game that I ever played influenced me so deeply that I forgot all about the golden age :lol: Sadly, I never remember even today what that first 3d game was. It was an FPS and the nearest thing that I can think of is quake 2, but I'm not sure.

Do any of you remember the first 3d game you played in your life? Let it be good or bad I'm sure it must have enthralled you at least a little bit! If you remember do share your experience here so that I can try some of those games as well.

What??? I'm not a very gaming person, so the sentence "This question stupid, because all of them grew up playing 3d games..." doesn't really apply to me. I have played one and only one 3D game in my whole life, and that is Runescape, which I quickly got sick of because it was so boring because the only things that you could do is the kill goblins and to cook fish (catching fish is also required)... A

And I was like, why waste my time when I could be doing something else more interesting and more productive? And this is why I am here today. The end... sorry, no games for me...

What??? I'm not a very gaming person, so the sentence "This question stupid, because all of them grew up playing 3d games..." doesn't really apply to me. I have played one and only one 3D game in my whole life, and that is Runescape, which I quickly got sick of because it was so boring because the only things that you could do is the kill goblins and to cook fish (catching fish is also required)... A

And I was like, why waste my time when I could be doing something else more interesting and more productive? And this is why I am here today. The end... sorry, no games for me...

hmm no offense but why reply by saying that you don't play games? :lol: If you come into a forum about gaming and say a thing like that it doesn't make a lot of sense...

anyway, to those "blessed" kind who think gaming is unhealthy, good luck on spending your free time, coz you're seriously missing something the zing that gaming provides!

hmm no offense but why reply by saying that you don't play games? :P If you come into a forum about gaming and say a thing like that it doesn't make a lot of sense...

anyway, to those "blessed" kind who think gaming is unhealthy, good luck on spending your free time, coz you're seriously missing something the zing that gaming provides!

I mean, I DID play games... just not anymore. Now all my free time goes to Xisto. It's a unhealthy obsession that I don't really like. It's like someone's putting a gun to my head and forcing me to come here when I really don't want to and I just want to have a day or two off Xisto. But I can't.

I was just saying that the First 3D game that I have ever played is Runescape, and I think that it will be the only 3D game that I will ever play. So in short, I did reply to your question, didn't I? :lol:

I don't know... gaming just seems like a waste of time to me, unless it's EDUCATIONAL gaming, of course... :(

But that's just me.

Anyone can have their opinion...

More than Xisto, gaming itself is an unhealthy obsession. But it does have a lot of advantages as well so it's not all bad to play games. They may seem like a waste of time to many, and in most cases it is, but a controlled dosage of gaming per day isn't a bad idea after all.

More than Xisto, gaming itself is an unhealthy obsession. But it does have a lot of advantages as well so it's not all bad to play games. They may seem like a waste of time to many, and in most cases it is, but a controlled dosage of gaming per day isn't a bad idea after all.

I swear, I have an obsession with whatever I'm on now... and I usually go off it after a while. So it's not healthy. I get on this game, play for 24/7 non-stop, find a new game on one of it's advertisments, ditch the original game, play the new game 24/7 non-stop... and start again... the cycle continues.

I'm trying to stop this and stick to one thing. Believe it or not, I myself was off psychic phenomena myself, found a game, started the cycle, and then came here. And I'm back on psychic stuff. And I do not intend to stop this website thing I'm on right now, but maybe my Xisto need to post obssession...

I really need to stop my short lived interests and get a long life one...

Wolf3D FTW!! I spent hours zooming along the mind numbingly indigo corridors......pressing the spacebar along to stumble upon a hidden wall cache. Then came Duke Nukem 3d....another amazing game. After that....Quake 3...and 2d games basically ceased to exist for me.

After that....Quake 3...and 2d games basically ceased to exist for me.

I enjoyed quake 3 as well - the fragging concept was pretty cool. Wait a minute that was quake 3 arena! or are both one and the same? can't remember exactly...it was one of the first FPS games I got to play