xisto Community
The Simpleton

Do I Have To Pay A Lot To Tranfer A Domain From Godaddy To Xisto?

My friend bought a domain at godaddy sometime ago, without hosting. I told him about Xisto hosting and he seemed interested to join. But first we wanted to know how much it would cost us overall. So we proceeded by giving an order. First we selected the 'Logic' hosting package, then in the next page we said we'd like to transfer our domain to xisto (Xisto - Web Hosting) and typed out the domain name. Then we were surprised to see that the transfer cost $9.99 - the same as buying a .com domain! I don't know much about domain transfers, but I do know that some registrars charge less for these transfers, but I've never seen someone charge the full price of the domain for transferring. That's like paying the registration price twice! Could someone please tell me about this? If there is no other option, then I'll tell my friend to wait till his domain expires at godaddy so that he can register it again from xisto this time. But if there's a quicker alternative please give a suggestion.

My friend bought a

domain at godaddy sometime ago, without hosting. I told him about Xisto hosting and he seemed interested to join. But first we wanted to know how much it would cost us overall. So we proceeded by giving an order. First we selected the 'Logic' hosting package, then in the next page we said we'd like to transfer our domain to xisto (Xisto - Web Hosting) and typed out the domain name. Then we were surprised to see that the transfer cost $9.99 - the same as buying a .com domain!
The transfer of a domain does not cost a penny. If that is the case please make sure the name servers are pointing towards:

Xisto - Web Hosting.COM
Xisto - Web Hosting.COM

I don't know much about domain transfers, but I do know that some registrars charge less for these transfers, but I've never seen someone charge the full price of the domain for transferring. That's like paying the registration price twice! Could someone please tell me about this? If there is no other option, then I'll tell my friend to wait till his domain expires at godaddy so that he can register it again from xisto this time. But if there's a quicker alternative please give a suggestion.

I would suggest contacting Xisto by clicking here and opening a support ticket.

I hope that helped! ;)

Phoneix

If he wants to use his domain name with hosting from Xisto then he can leave it registered with Godaddy. Just change the name servers to NS.COMPUTINGHOST.COM and NS2.COMPUTINGHOST.COM. On the order form select that you wish to use an existing domain (rather than transfer it) and type in the domain name.When the domain nears its renewal date you should be able to transfer it and renew it with Xisto if you want to.

Thanks for the clarification. I had selected the second option in the form and that was for transferring, for which the price was $9.99. But after selecting the third option everything's fine ;) So now after I have bought hosting I should go and update the nameservers, right? Or should I update them right away? Something tells me that I should wait!

It won't really matter when you update them. If the domain is not being used at the moment then you may as well update them now so that the changes can propagate around the world as soon as possible. It will also allow you to use your hosting as soon as possible when your order is processed.

Thanks a lot. I will inform this to my friend at once and report back after the process is complete.I'm beginning to understand completely all this nonsense about transfers and all ;):P just kiddin - it was good to know about all this. I will tell my friend to try and shift the domain entirely to xisto so that he need not waste any more money on godaddy...

Correction with the nameservers. Domain needs to point towards ns.computinghost.com and ns2.computinghost.com. it might be working with you as only "Xisto - Web Hosting.com". but for others it is not at all working and as per Xisto - Domains panel, it is set to "ns.computinghost.com" and "ns2.computinghost.com" by default.

The correct name servers:

ns1.computinghost.com
ns2.computinghost.com

The transfer of a domain does not cost a penny. If that is the case please make sure the name servers are pointing towards:
Xisto - Web Hosting.COM
Xisto - Web Hosting.COM

Correction with the nameservers. Domain needs to point towards ns.computinghost.com and ns2.computinghost.com. it might be working with you as only "Xisto - Web Hosting.com". but for others it is not at all working and as per Xisto - Domains panel, it is set to "ns.computinghost.com" and "ns2.computinghost.com" by default.

Also, check the Transfer information. I think a Transfer includes an additional year's renewal, that explains the $9.99 charge. You are actually paying for the extra year.

ns1.computinghost.com

I'm not sure about this "ns1". but with 3 of my domain it is set to "ns.computinghost.com". we've to ask members who registered domains recently to take a look at their xisto domains account to verify this. As usually we don't have to manually modify this and Xisto - Domains also allows us to lock this fields and these are not modifiable from billing site then.

The nameservers are set to the following on all of my domains registered at various times:

Name servers: ns.computinghost.com
ns2.computinghost.com

They're working and send my domains to my websites. Both NS and NS1 resolve to the same IP address, so either should work. However, the ping statistics for NS2 are a little worrying:
CONSOLE

rob@rob-laptop:~$ ping -c 5 ns.computinghost.com
PING ns.computinghost.com (67.19.253.52) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=129 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=127 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=127 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=128 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=127 ms

--- ns.computinghost.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 127.673/128.285/129.524/0.736 ms
rob@rob-laptop:~$ ping -c 5 ns1.computinghost.com
PING ns1.computinghost.com (67.19.253.52) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=128 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=128 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=128 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=127 ms
64 bytes from 34.fd.1343.static.theplanet.com (67.19.253.52): icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=128 ms

--- ns1.computinghost.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 127.558/128.306/128.979/0.610 ms
rob@rob-laptop:~$ ping -c 5 ns2.computinghost.com
PING ns2.computinghost.com (208.87.241.124) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 208.87.241.124: icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=207 ms
64 bytes from ns2.computinghost.com (208.87.241.124): icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=207 ms

--- ns2.computinghost.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 2 received, 60% packet loss, time 18237ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 207.022/207.396/207.771/0.589 ms

yes the first one isn't "ns1" but just "ns" I think that was the only confusion left. Anyway now that it's cleared up I'll go ahead and continue with the "transfer" or whatever it is called!