xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FruitRocks

Should Youtube Allow People To Upload Copyrighted Songs As Videos?

Do you think that people should be able to upload copyrighted songs (e.x. I'm on a Boat by T-Pain) or should YouTube always reserve the right to take them down? For me, I think that as long as the uploader doesn't provide any direct download links to the song YouTube should be okay with it (then to the viewer's discretion on whether or not they will use free downloaders to download the videos). I know that a lot of people have been getting irritated with their songs on their videos becoming removed or replaced with different songs on YouTube do too copyright issues.

Do you think that people should be able to upload copyrighted songs (e.x. I'm on a Boat by T-Pain) or should YouTube always reserve the right to take them down? For me, I think that as long as the uploader doesn't provide any direct download links to the song YouTube should be okay with it (then to the viewer's discretion on whether or not they will use free downloaders to download the videos). I know that a lot of people have been getting irritated with their songs on their videos becoming removed or replaced with different songs on YouTube do too copyright issues.

no they should not have that right to upload it and Youtube should also not have the right to remove them. Sounds funny but will tell you why. If a song is copy written then your talking of royalty fees. You can place a song on say Youtude and copy that song or even video for free. This is hurting the singer writers and actors of the upload because the are not getting there fee.

Now as for Youtube. They do this to get around not having to pay that royalty fee that they would have to play. They would rather remove them than charge a upload fee to the people that are using youtube. So you tell me. Would you rather Upload and be charged a fee, or upload and have it removed. Bet most would go with having it removed.

no they should not have that right to upload it and Youtube should also not have the right to remove them. Sounds funny but will tell you why. If a song is copy written then your talking of royalty fees. You can place a song on say Youtude and copy that song or even video for free. This is hurting the singer writers and actors of the upload because the are not getting there fee.
Now as for Youtube. They do this to get around not having to pay that royalty fee that they would have to play. They would rather remove them than charge a upload fee to the people that are using youtube. So you tell me. Would you rather Upload and be charged a fee, or upload and have it removed. Bet most would go with having it removed.

Yeah, I think that that's very true... as singers don't get to get their part of the share of the fee, and people can find ways to download the song down if it's on Youtube without having to pay for them. But then, what does it matter anyway? I mean, there are already many sites that let you download songs and the such without having to pay for them, and the quality is often much much much more better than Youtube, because Youtube compressed everything. So if people wanted to download a song, they won't be downloading off Youtube anyway in the first place because the movie will come with it (who want the movie if they want the actual soundtrack in the first place?) and the quality isn't really that good compared to other sites. So whether people upload it on to Youtube or not, it doesn't really matter as people won't really download it off Youtube anyway, but off other sites that provide better quality sound and images (movies).

But of course, you're right. People should be uploading these kinds of videos onto Youtube anyway in the first place. Not that it matters...

Whenever somebody gets a good idea, there's always someone else to prove that it is in fact a bad idea! The same applies to Youtube. It was initially seen a boon to amateur movie makers, photographers, musicians and even to the casual average human being. They had the freedom to upload their talent and share it with the world in a convenient way, without wasting any time or money (apart from making the video of course). So Youtube was seen as a very impressive tool which would help a lot of people around the world.But then the dark side came onto Youtube, set to prove that Youtube can do more harm than good. So then the dark side started uploading copyrighted material - movies, videos, music, etc onto Youtube, thus causing loss to a lot of talented people. Today there is less legit content on YT and more copied content. But still the site is flourishing and Google pockets a hefty amount through advertising! And the uploader too gets some of the money and that money has been earned off someone else's hard work.While uploading, YT doesn't know whether the material uploaded is copyrighted or not. Nowadays in the processing stage some of the videos are being filtered and that is a good thing. But some guys have found out how to get around this barrier as well and are continuing their business! This is irritating, yes, but it has to be accepted that most of us turn to YT as a quick way to find something we want. A lot of people use it as a video-steaming service to illegally watch the latest movies and videos. Due to this reason one can call Google (and subsequently Youtube as well) the largest Warez site in the world! ;)People should definitely be stopped from uploading copyrighted material, but how are you going to do it? Google may consist of the best minds in the world but there are more intelligent people out there who take it as a challenge to get past such barriers. They will try every trick in the book (and if needed they will write a book of their own :P ) to get the material onto the tube. The only possible way to stop this is to manually check every video uploaded, but then it would mean a huge loss for YT because the rate at which videos get uploaded over there is too big, and if all of them were to be checked manually, it would take a week or so and no one likes to wait that long to get their video on to the net. They would simply move onto other sites such as Veoh.I think a good idea would be to appoint a moderating team on YT who will constantly monitor the approved videos and report them to Google with evidence. If they hire ordinary people who know which song is from which album (:P) or which clip is from which movie, then they can easily be identified and removed real fast. I think this will be an effective solution if worked out carefully. Till then, it's up to you whether you want to watch/download these illegal material on the tube!

You guys might not know, but of all the money that an MP3 album costs, an artist gets about $0.50 or less, depending on where it is sold. I know an artist who sells his CDs at his local concerts, and he says he gets a lot more money from those sales then from the iTunes music store. The money that is spent at the iTunes music store goes to Apple, and whatever is left goes to the record company (and the greedy RIAA), who passes a few cents to the artist. I'm all for Apple putting another column next to the price of a song saying how much an artist gets from the song, but I'm sure sales would decline or cease. As for the subject at hand, as long as they are low quality and not used in an innopropriate way (such as to promote a political canidate, or a product), and the quality isn't very good, it is perfectly acceptable under fair use. The reason why these copyrighted songs get taken down is because the record labels had an agreement with YouTube that they would get paid a certain amount of money each time that the song was played, but the agreement lapsed. So warner brothers took down all their videos, and instead they are all on myspace now.

youtube should allowShould Youtube Allow People To Upload Copyrighted Songs As Videos?I think that people sould be able to copywitten stuff on youtube as long they clam that they don't  own the video, the content, and put it in the info. Box the name of the Label like  Cherrytree Records  meaning giving credit to them and the band. If the only reson why people put videos on youtube is help promote the band / singer and love them to death People have this right no metter what. -reply by erin