xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FruitRocks

Best Anitvirus For Windows

The question is what you mean exactly. Do you mean a program that runs on the computer constantly to avoid an infection of the computer with a virus? Or do you mean a program to detect a virus that is in your computer?

Personally I'm not a big fan of Antiviruses , I think they're a waste of your RAM memory (especialy if you don't have as much as you would need) ,but for the sake of it , from what people say on the Internet NOD32 seems to be pretty good. I can't give a personal opinion since I've never used it because each copy I've tried was requesting a serial Key which I didn't own.In my opinion installing an antivirus software is required only when you feel your PC is infected and requires a full scan to clean up everything , other then that , in the rest of the time a firewall is more then enough considering it uses a lot less resources and is just as eficient. Kaspersky (hope it's spelled right)which also is recomended by alot of people doesn't have my trust since a year ago when I installed it on my old pc (1900+ , 512 RAM) after a fresh Windows XP reinstall and it just completely ruined everything. My PC completely froze and didn't recover after restart .. at start up it was stil frozen so I had to reinstall my windows and tried a normal Firewall , my choice was Sygate Firewall because at the time it seemed to be a good one and never had problems with it since then.To be honnest no mather how much "protection" you use for your PC it stil won't be enough if you surf the web without knowing what risks are on diferent websites. In time we all learn what's the best solution for our Way of using the PC. For example .. a good way to keep your pc safe is before opening a fresh downloaded software from the internet is to upload it on one of those Free online scaners and check to see if it's infected or not. I usually use jotti.. google it if you need it. It instantly scans your file with over 15 Antiviruses and tells you if it's safe. It has never let me down so far.Stay Safe.

I have installed Kaspersky antivirus in my PC.Kaspersky is best antivirus for windows 7. It automatically detects viruses. But it will work properly if you updates it everday.You can opt for norton 2011. But it slows down the speed of your PC. So best option is Kaspersky.

I heard that recent norton is less resource hungry. I didn't tested it on mahcine with 512mb ram so i can't come to any conclusion. so those with low ram can tell us if it is in anyway improved from previous antivirus. In any case i'll not risk my system for norton.

I heard that recent norton is less resource hungry. I didn't tested it on mahcine with 512mb ram so i can't come to any conclusion. so those with low ram can tell us if it is in anyway improved from previous antivirus. In any case i'll not risk my system for norton.

Hello mahesh,
I have 2 * 512 mb ram and using Norton Internet Security 2011, and so far I haven't face any slowdown from the side of norton internet security, it is running smoothly in background.
Although, if there is anything slowing down my pc is firefox, I usually access more than 5-6 times at a time, so have 5-6 tabs open in same window, and it is slowing down my pc. Sites are loaded fast but, switching from one tab to another tab is taking time, and sometimes it is just stuck at one tab only. According to the resource monitor of NIS 2011, the firefox is using a lot of memory, the warning is shown time to time.

Thus, I conclude by saying that NIS 2011 is not resource hungry, it is just working fine at least in my pc.
So, my best security suite for windows will be NIS 2011. ;)

Hello mahesh,I have 2 * 512 mb ram and using Norton Internet Security 2011, and so far I haven't face any slowdown from the side of norton internet security, it is running smoothly in background.
Although, if there is anything slowing down my pc is firefox, I usually access more than 5-6 times at a time, so have 5-6 tabs open in same window, and it is slowing down my pc. Sites are loaded fast but, switching from one tab to another tab is taking time, and sometimes it is just stuck at one tab only. According to the resource monitor of NIS 2011, the firefox is using a lot of memory, the warning is shown time to time.

Thus, I conclude by saying that NIS 2011 is not resource hungry, it is just working fine at least in my pc.
So, my best security suite for windows will be NIS 2011. ;)

2 Units of 512 ? In that case just remove one and run the norton for month or week to see the performance. I guess that is the only way to test the performance. Current 2 units of 512 makes your ram go at 1 gb and few MB less than that. so test again with single unit so that you can conclude it is not being resource hungry.

2 Units of 512 ? In that case just remove one and run the norton for month or week to see the performance. I guess that is the only way to test the performance. Current 2 units of 512 makes your ram go at 1 gb and few MB less than that. so test again with single unit so that you can conclude it is not being resource hungry.

Well, I guess I could do that, but, at the moment I really need more power and more ram, I can't decrease the ram memory at least for now, because I am having vacations and I am using my pc a lot these days and its already slowing down despite of having 1 gb ram, so you can imagine how badly my pc will be affected now if I reduced the ram now.

But, once I get over with my vacations and my pc usage will be back to normal, then surely I would love to reduce my system ram to test out the norton internet security 2011 performance.

But, for now, its really not possible :(

I used to like ESET anti virus, but for a year now I am using the free antivirus from microsoft and it seems to be very good and FREE, even though it seems that microsoft products can suck, but seems that this one works quite fine:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download - Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free for all home users, but you need to have a genuine windows installation for it to install :)

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

I sued to like ESET anti virus, but for a year now I am using the free antivirus from microsoft and it seems to be very good and FREE, even though it seems that microsoft products can suck, but seems that this one works quite fine:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download - Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free for all home users, but you need to have a genuine windows installation for it to install :)

Well, I would to like to try microsoft security essentials, but, can you tell me how is its protections against viruses and if it also protect us from internet threats like hack attacks, etc. as these are the main concern for me while choosing a security suite, i want complete protection. ;)
And is it better than the free version of avast antivirus and avg antivirus.........would like to hear more from you soon......

And, thanks so much for giving the link :)

As far as i know MSE is not replacement for the antivirus. No doubt it catches most of the viruses but it is not effective against rootkits, malware and other browser viruses. I don't know how you managed to work with MSE. I do have it installed but i prefer to use it with NOD32, malware bytes antimalware byters and spybot search and destroy.

It seems you're using much of anti spyware, malware and etc. software.. I don't like to use a lot of processes running doing the same stuff, but it depends on the way you're using your computer, for friends I usually install MSE and extra software like malwarebytes :D

here is a quote for MSE:

In AV Comparative's most recent report on malware removal, MSE was the only free antivirus rated Advanced+. That ranking placed it alongside big names like Norton, Kaspersky, and F-Secure. Security Essentials also beat out technician favorite ESET, which managed only an Advanced rating....
So not only has MSE beaten free competitors like AVG (version 8.5 tested, not 9.0), Avira, and Avast, it also posted test scores equal to or better than a dozen antivirus programs you'd have to pay for.

Where seem to be plenty of good reviews for it, it seems to be getting better and it protects me quite well, even though I don't really get much viruses in the first place, I browse with Opera and have a firewall and usually don't open any exe files I don't know.

My all time favorite is Norton 360 , i?m 100% satisfied.This AV have a lot of features and is very light .But in the end of the day I?m the best AV , click safe what you click.