xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Why Do Some People Have Negative Mycents?

I've been noticing for sometime that some people over here have negative myCENTs ([-22.89], etc). I was just wondering what is the reason for this. If everyone knew the reason for this they could avoid getting into such situations! So can someone give me the answer to this please?

i heard about this once. so, basically we get myCENT from our post right? but, if the main topic is deleted (because it was just a spam, etc), then we lost your point. but at the mean time, our myCENT already deducted by xisto. that's why it becomes negative...

Edited by akashi (see edit history)

hmm that makes sense.....I just saw some user have [-1102] negative balance! That much spam and the user is still on the forums?!! This makes me think if there is some other reason, or maybe that user just got lucky? (no offense to anyone!)

It might not be spam at all you know. He could have made a thread about something, and it was flamed and he flamed back, and when the thread got out of control it was deleted, a single thread can earn you a lot of myCents if used properly. I make around 30 cents a post, so its pretty easy to get 10 dollars off a rather long post, or even an article that was quoted for about 10 dollars, you never know.

I some time ago had negative cents, I guess little negative cents, but I also remember that moderator told me that was because of posts with few words which caused negative mycents.

I had a little negative myCENTS for a while too, but no one edited, moved, or deleted my posts. A user told me that it was because of a computer bug that can happen occasionally, and that he had it once too, but it was fixed in the next update.

Well, I don't really know about that. Certainly, when the next update was up, I've got 60 myCENTS when it was [-14] before, but how do you know it was a bug and that it was fixed? You might've just made it up by making a very long post (which is what I usually do).
So, I don't know... I think bugs and all that are possible, but if it was [-1102], it's definitely not a bug.

Well, I don't really know about that. Certainly, when the next update was up, I've got 60 myCENTS when it was [-14] before, but how do you know it was a bug and that it was fixed?

Well, there were some bugs in the MyCent Scripts a few months ago.. and it was fixed. So, most likely bug is not the reason for your negative myCents. As far as I know there is no bug in present myCent script.

Negative myCents usually happened when someone edit your posts (either you or a moderator). If you observe carefully, you'll see this negative myCents only for new members who were joined recently, this is because they don't know the rules of the board and violate them. Most of them copies content from some other website and post them here without the QUOTE tags. And they will be awarded myCents for that posts. And when a moderator observes this, he edits his post and will quote all the copied content. After the next update of myCents that amount will be deducted from that member which leaves them in negative myCents.

If you don't want negative myCents, don't copy and past content from other websites and use QUOTE tags wherever needed...

All this makes a lot of sense. And it is indeed a fair system. I never did anything like that till now but I'll be on guard not to get into any such situation anytime. Thanks for the replies ;)

Well, there were some bugs in the MyCent Scripts a few months ago.. and it was fixed. So, most likely bug is not the reason for your negative myCents. As far as I know there is no bug in present myCent script.
Negative myCents usually happened when someone edit your posts (either you or a moderator). If you observe carefully, you'll see this negative myCents only for new members who were joined recently, this is because they don't know the rules of the board and violate them. Most of them copies content from some other website and post them here without the QUOTE tags. And they will be awarded myCents for that posts. And when a moderator observes this, he edits his post and will quote all the copied content. After the next update of myCents that amount will be deducted from that member which leaves them in negative myCents.

If you don't want negative myCents, don't copy and past content from other websites and use QUOTE tags wherever needed...

Well, it wasn't that long ago, and definitely not several months before, as I haven't even signed up here yet. I did check all my posts carefully, and another member did that too, and he reported no sighting of any editing, moving, or deletion of posts. We couldn't find anything wrong with it!!!

Oh... yes... I DID edit one of my posts, I suppose, but that was only because I had a typo and I wanted to change it, as grammar affects to number of myCENTS earned. So it might've been that...

I'll be careful from now on in what I post. I know that Moderators and Administrators rarely delete or edit or move posts as they're nice, but I might occasionally edit my own. I'll be careful and refrain from that.

Thanks.

Hi!I just read the last post and got the impression that editing a post causes a loss of myCENTs. I found it quite shocking and counter-intuitive, so I read the quoted text above and that clarified things. Editing a post does not make you lose myCENTs but rather editing out lots of content by deleting it or placing it into a QUOTE tag causes the loss.The reason for negative myCENTs is that, as I would put it, bad things happen to bad people. If you don't read the rules before posting you are bound to end up with losing what wasn't rightfully yours to begin with so it isn't really a loss. For newbies, it is an honest mistake because it takes a while to get accustomed to following all the rules but if somebody intentionally tries to exploit the system with the hope that he/she will not get caught, then that definitely is something that deserves corrective action.Regards