xisto Community
k_nitin_r

Microsoft Won't Have Money Any More

Hi!Microsoft won't have money any more. No, I'm not talking about cash - I'm talking about Microsoft Money, a software product from the Microsoft Corporation. Just as they've stopped selling Microsoft Encarta, Microsoft OneCare and Microsoft Flight Simulator, they've now announced that the product will no longer be supported beyond 31st January, 2011.The reason for the end-of-lifecycle for Microsoft Money is not due to the recession, but rather because banks and other financial institutions provide their customers with similar services online.Regards,N

I'm waiting for the day when someone will start the thread titled "Microsoft won't have windows any more" :(Looks like the company is having a tough time and they seem to be running out of excuses for covering up their bad luck. It's about time they try to save their remaining products by reducing the prices and developing the quality. We don't want another expensive Vista-like product, do we?

Microsoft never ceases to amaze me because it has so much money yet their products are often crap. Windows XP has been OKAY for me, but Windows ME? Holy mackeral, as they say. Im trying to forget the painful memories of the constant BSOD's..

Windows is useful for the ones who like to use it. Linux though may be better then Windows, but what does Linux have that Windows does not have? Apart from those rotating 3D screen things where you press CTRL+ Arrow keys left and right. :/

The way Microsoft has monopoly over the operating system market, it seems a little distant that Microsoft will ever stop bundling windows. This is what Microsoft is for. Had windows have not been there Microsoft would never be in existence. Now comes the question of market share, Microsoft Windows having a maximum and others trailing away behind. Every 3 to 4 years Microsoft comes up with a new OS claiming to be a better one, but not necessarily. Many versions of Windows failed miserably and yet Microsoft Windows is most popular and commonly used operating system. One of the reasons being the use of pirated version. Microsoft itself did little to stop that. Because it knew if pirated software or in a matter of fact Windows itself is not circulating, the market share would fall, popularity would fall and so its business.

Microsoft is a great company, but not the best, I prefer Google. Everything google does seems to be perfect or seems to be fair. I am only using Windows vista and microsoft office and nothing else, while Google is everywhere included in my web browsing history. I couldn't survive without Google and the fact is that I didn't have to pay anything just to get a Google product. So microsoft is really a complex company where main purpose is money and not mass enjoyable products.

Speaking of Windows, I've tried the Windows 7 beta, and it really is what Vista should have been. With that being said, I think I still prefer the Leopard OSX, which has never given me a single problem. Ever.

I found the title of this topic misleading. :(I have often wished to help be a part of a movement which brings Microsoft down from the pedestal which Gates bought and coerced and monopolized his way to achieving. I hate people like that, with a passion, and it would delight me to no end to help pull the rug out from under him and remind him what it's like to be on most of our level.I have never believed in stepping on others, or forsaking honesty and integrity, in order to get ahead.So I, of course, hoped that this topic meant that Microsoft had finally made the ultimate blunder and was being forced out of business. Woe that such a hope is dashed before it had a chance to exult and dance for joy.--Still, I am happy that another program bites the dust. It's only a matter of time, as far as I'm concerned.[/Evil]

but what does Linux have that Windows does not have?

You should actually ask what linux doesn't have that windows has, like the BSOD, the explorer crashes, memory wastes... the list could go on forever.

Linux and mac are actually stable systems. Linux has repositories, it doesn't crash very often, managing it and it's settings is simpler when all the stuff is in one place.

There are many things that linux has over windows, think about it. It might not be useful for you, but to others it might be a gift from heaven

but to others it might be a gift from heaven

Hear hear! I could go on and on about my adoration of Linux... I noticed that comment previously and chose not to reply to it because my hackles were still miffed by such a comparison!

Linux has personalization options and a general stability that leave any version of Windows in the dust.

Don't be so hasty to judge Linux, Sky. And if your current distribution of choice continues to uninspire you, try another!

what does Linux have that Windows does not have?

I think most of you forgot the most important thing that Linux has that Windows doesn't have - freedom from viruses!

Of course it's not 100% protected from threats but it's most unlikely that you will get a virus/trojan/malware in Linux because they will simply not be executed without root privilege, which they won't get in any case.Unless you go and ask for trouble in Linux you won't get it :(

Hi!I guess what everybody fails to mention is the app-store-like feature (yum, apt) that Linux has been providing for ages - even before the iPhone came into existence! Windows has yet to see something similar. The Linux package repositories make it a breeze to install software as you don't have to be bothered by package incompatibilities, searching for the packages online etc.Regards,Nitin Reddy

So if I'm looking to replace my Windows XP partition (which I really only use to play Command & Conquer, but I'm willing to let go of that) what I'm I looking to get? Something like Ubuntu desktop?

You scared me, because i am an indirect employee of Microsoft.Microsoft without money almost impossible but probable. I think Microsoft is making some mistakes the Encarta Enciclopedy is an important product beacause everyone needs the Encarta and Wikipedia is not a substitute.Wikipedia is an awesome encilclopedy but Encarta is better. I don?t understand why they will stop the sells.Regards.

If only Wikipedia always came on disks and Encarta given free, then it would be suitable to compare these two. How about Britannica and Encarta? I think it would need separate topic for this.Microsoft Money... It seems lots of organisations are going the opensource way or custom services as per their needs. Few years back, may be a decade ago, it was all Microsoft. Today everything has changed, lots of rapid growth in every field. I mean to say, in those days MS didn't have the competition which is being seen today. And today MS is already utilizing lots of its manpower in important things like Windows.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)