xisto Community
alexwhin

Do You Think Popups Are A Bad Thing? www.bpsite.tk

Well Depends on the pop up. I usually will use small pop ups on my website when I want every visitor to read or see something that is important. Pop ups are a great way of getting peoples attention. Unfortunately lots of people use pop ups to advertise which I think is just plain annoying. Especially when their is more then 1.

Pop-ups off all kinds...expecially from another site are ANNOYING!!...who wants to waste time cutting through web popups and ads...just to get to what they really want?? I always x out the popups before they even get a chance to fully load...what a waste

The thing I hate more then few people in my class are POP ups.. I hate them because they don't fit anywhere.. I think soo.. and when they jump out when your searching something.. then i just want to burn them down.. if theyr funny I can look at them but if they have some kind of text or information i don't care i just want to destroy themm..Im sorry for my agracivity :blink:

I think that pop-ups are one of the worst things that are on the internet. Almost none of them have links to sites that anyone cares about that are usually some kind of free offer scam. They plain just get in your way. Many of them have annoying flashing text and some even have sound. Pop-ups unlike other kinds of ads get in your way.

I just don't like 'em, but when caused by adware, I hate 'em. Do you know of somthing lika Ad-aware or Spy bot? They have worked so far helping me to remove anoying thigs, also helped with many pop ups.Those things should be prohibited! :)

although popups are annoying and i try to block them all, i think the only use for a popup for anyone hosting a site is to collect a visitors email address for a newsletter,autoresponder while giving away something free that has value to your targeted visitors. but if you do that, you should make sure that it doesn't pop up everytime they visit....only their first visit. my personal preference is not to see any popunders or popovers. i tend not to visit annoying websites ever again unless it's vital to what i need....but that is once in a blue moon. smart webmasters that have what i need don't lower themselves to over advertising. they don't need to when they can attract visitors with quality services and information

One should not be forced to have a window open (pop up) on their computer if they did not ask for it. They are very disturbing and annoying, I would seriously try and avoid the as a web designer whenever I can.

We are livin' in a world of advertisments, we can't do much abou *BLEEP*. It's the media,billoards,pop ups, etc. That keeps this world runnin' as it is. All we can do is resist it or deal with it.

we will deal with it. just like the whiners complaining about everything on t.v. not being G rated for their children. can't please everyone.

my basic philosophy is if there are too many banners, i wont return, too many graphics or flash, i wont return, any popups or popunders, i wont return(in general) and if there is little webpage content, i will NEVER return unless by some fluke accident.

i deal with it because i love searching the web. i know what to expect when i search the web and so should everyone else although i do expect it to be too much for some people and one day we will be hearing about some nerd going postal over one too many popups. but then, as always, he will be able to hire a cheap lawyer who is after a quick buck arguing about civil rights and rights to privacy or something like that....or hire that one lawyer who argued and won that mcdonalds coffee was too hot

gotta love the world we live in. this stupid crap makes it comical and interesting

Pop-up windows and Pop-unders have always been annoying for me! I hate them and I do not want to one at my one site, because I know people do hate them too! They usually slow down my computers evertime I am surfing and There are times when adult pop-ups would just come out when I hvae my family around me while I am on the computer. They are worthless most of the time, and just waste my time.

I completly against popups not to mention they can put spyware,adware,viruses, and all kinds of nasty stuff on your pc. Now it may be different if your advertising for something you want people to use. However putting pop-up code on your page from an advertiser so you can make money is where you can get all the nasty stuff from. I have a popup blocker and it doesn't do a very good job of getting rid of these annoying popups. I personnally prefer banner ads than pop-ups because they normally don't give you viruses and all that stuff with the exception of a site called lordsoflegend.com or something like, one of their banner ads gave me a virus but I think with banner ads your less likly to get any of those nasty things.

i think pop-ups are increadbly bad..some of them will just download a virius as you are sitting there reading it..some of them are just stupid ones like it will show some guys chest and ask who's it is..or it will show some girls legs and askss who they belong to...i think popup are the stupidest thing in the world, but advertisements such as the one on these forums are funn sit there and shoot duck etc..lol neways, i think they are bad because of virisues these days..

Ok I know some people try to use pop ups as ads to make money to keep their site going, but now most days people have pop up blockers and that isn't the best way to go. When people see a pop up they normally attempt to close them because they are known to be bad. Basically people don't really use them anymore except to give people viruses or whatever. Now that google ads is out people can embed them onto their web sites and I think that is a much better way to go because the ads are related to the content and it is maybe what you are looking for.

With rare exceptions, pop-ups are really annoying. I think the only thing worse than pop-ups would be those flash adverts that appear just after you load a page on some sports/entertainment sites.