xisto Community
tinoymalayil

Whic Is The Best Social Networking Website?

Hello friends,There are many social networking websites available in the internet.I like orkut most because of its simplicity and ease of access.Facebook is also good.ibibo,netlog,myspace,shyle are some of the social networking websites.please reply your opinion.

I would have to say Facebook. Although I run my own social networking site, Facebook is a giant and one heck of a competitor!To me there is nothing fascinating about MySapce!

Depends upon what you want and where your friends are clogged. :lol:
Again... not any social network site is perfect. Everytime one or the other hits the headlines and people cling to it.

It was Yahoo sometime back... Then came AOl... Ask... and now Google. Again not for long. There are services in the making which will take over Google.
Likewise for Social networks. It was hi5, MySpace, Orkut and now Facebook is the talk of the town. Twitter has its own effect where people clog. Some of the celebrities joined twitter and lots of people started signing in to twitter... God know what is next.

But i think, Twitter has a way with people. There are so many interesting things in twitter. Say for example...

1. Twitter account to get real time news instantly -- https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=%2FBreakingNews
2. Twitter account to get daily interesting information -- https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=%2Fdailydidyouknow

Above are some of the interesting accounts and there are millions like this.

So, any popular site is based on demand. Any site that understands and works towards the needs of people will become a hit.
Lets see what are all the different sites that will float in the future.

Well, I am not properly sure who is the best or who deserves to be the best, but I can tell you which is the most popular to me. I have been an active member of hi5 firstly, when I was a teenager, but now Facebook, has gained so much popularity. It has a pagerank of 9 and I saw a video where 100 million users where online at the same time. Imagine what kind of servers they must have to face this tremendous amount of data.

Check a list I compiled: YouTube is the biggest video sharing network on the web published online since 2005 . It reaches millions and statistically saying, approx. 20% of the worldwide Internet users daily. Users can upload (must register) view and share their videos worldwide. Videos uploaded are made possible to watch using a Flash Player technology( you must install Flash Player plug in in order to watch videos) and can also be downloaded and viewed at home using VLC media player. YouTube is available on Apple TV, iPhone, mobile and videos can be embedded on your website with HTML markup codes/snnipets. You can also comment, rate, top favourites and create channels for distinctive sharing of common interests( musicians, comedians..etc).

MySpace is a social network based on an online community connecting with each other through the web. It was launched in 2006 and approx. 7% of all Internet users view it daily. What makes MySpace special is the fact that many music bands or musicians create their profiles and upload their music trying to make popularity over the 110 million registered users. In addition, MySpace is a giant site offering a member the possibility to blog, rank music, promote books, chat, watch just lauched movies trailers and comedies, participate forums and groups, play games, check news and horoscope and much more.

Facebook is a social network/utility that connects people of same interests/school/nationality together. Created since march 1997 Facebook within a short time flourished in popularity hence getting even more page views than Google. It reaches a 9% of all web users daily and has over 70 million registered members. What makes it special is that Facebook allows outer companies (like Slide.com) to implement special applications that makes user communication more funny and exciting. In addition Facebook has added a marketplace where members can buy and sell their products.

Orkut is the official Google social network mostly popular in Brazil and with over than 100 million member registered with a daily reach of 3%. Typical social network where a user creates his profile and communicates with members by writting messages, participating groups, uploading pics, scrapping...etc. What makes it special is the largest amount of communities about every topic(over 40 millions) created by members.

Hi5 is a worldwide social network popular amongst teens which is generally famous in Sud-America launched in 1996. It reaches a 2.6% of all Internet users daily and over 80 million registered members. What makes it special is the romantic online atmosphere that hi5 creates members by comments, photos, videos applications, scrapbooks, fives, groups. It is also available in multilanguages and requires sign up.

Flickr is a social network where you can upload, organize your photos and share them online with millions of users. It has a daily reach of 2.1%. Flickr is free to register but still is limited and you can go to Pro account by paying. You can use these features: create an album, embed photos from Flickr to your website, photostream, copyright photos you make, create slideshows, blog photos, upload vidoes and innovative Guest Pass, geotagged and share all of these no doubt.

Friendster is a global social network developed for friendships online since 2002. It reaches a 1.5% daily views of world wide users and has over 50 million registered members. Connects to friends and broadly through adding to your profile photos, music, slideshows...etc. A very special feature is the Developer Corner where every developer can have the possibility to create and add to the Friendster Platform applications using an API key.

SkyRock is a Social network made popular mostly in Europe and with a daily reach of 1% and over 20 million registerd users created since 2002. Primary initiated from a local radio in France, SkyRock is popular for Skyrock_blog (over 16 million blogs), blog stars(hall of fame),music blogs, videos and chat. It is a multi language network and also called the "French Myspace".

I prefer facebook only because more of my family are on it. I think that it makes it easier to communicate between my family members and I, and that it makes it overall just way easier. I'm not so sure about myspace, I just feel overall safer with facebook.

I use facebook as well cause most people i know use it.. friendster is also very popular here specially for the younger ages.. i find their interface too cluttered.. dont forget multiply too its very popular here.

Apart from the existing bigtime social networks, there are millions of small social networks in the making and do not know when the will come to the limelight. These are in the initial stage and have good scope/ potential if the model is good and tuned for customers/ users need.

Say for example, I have been following few tech blogs (links below) and I encounter atleast one new social network everyday.

https://techcrunch.com/
http://killerstartups.com/
https://gigaom.com/

Above are few of the sites. But there are millions of them.
Start following and you will know which network has been launched and in which country.

I like orkut and twitter the most. Orkut is good because it is the most popular social networking website in India and I find all my friends here and twitter is good from my professional perspective as it gives more exposure to my blog

There are a couple, DIGG.COM is my favorite, i also use facebook and twitter!

Edited by rnichilo (see edit history)

its based on popularity as to where your from. some friends who are from europe tends to use hi5 more often and dont use facebook that much. but facebook has grown to becoming a very successful social place for family, friends and coworkers.facebook. ftw.