xisto Community
sheepdog

Garden? Hopeless?

I am beginning to think getting a garden out this year is going to be a completely hopeless case. A few weeks ago we got a good sized patch tilled up, and I got a very few things planted, basicly onions and peanuts, and my extra canna bulbs I didn't want to put back in the same flwoer bed where I normally plant them. And then the rains came. And came, and came. Toss in a tornado or 2 for good measure. So, a few days ago when the weather forcast showed a few dry days in a row my better half told me to make no plans for today, we were toing to plant garden, come hell or high water. Sure. We get over there, (our garden is next door) and the tiller/tractor has a broken belt, and won't start. So we come back to the house to get a battery and jumper cables. Finally get it started and bring it back home so he can fix the belt and till my flower bed over here. While we were at the garden I find that not a single one of the peanuts I planted has come up, so there's 1/3 of everything we had planted failed allready. And of course, after so long, everything that we allready had tilled not only needs to be re tilled, we will have to mow it first before we can till it. And to add insult to injury, in the process of tilling my flower bed, he hit a wet spot at one of the water hydrants, and burried the tractor/tiller. Completly. To the frame. Couldn't even pull it out with the 4 wheeler. Life is never easy.

Indeed, life is full of surprises.I have managed to put the garden in this year after 'screening' the dirt and removing eight wheelbarrows of rocks. The place we live on is on the side of a mountain in the Rockies. I know where the name comes from now. :lol:All the usual suspects were planted. Zuccini, beans, carrots, radishes, lettuce, potatos, and soon to follow, tomatos. It still is not warm enough for them yet, but getting close.

If you see my garden, you would be surprised. I have planted lots of flowers, and trees, like peach, apples, peanuts, etc. But it is quite green, and we as a family take care of it very often cutting the grass. Well, if you look around my garden you will see just open areas without greenish style. I am glad to have a house and garden like this.

Hi!I planted a couple of mango seeds and they turned out just fine. They take about a dozen years for the fruits to appear though, unless you can find a genetically engineered variety. I tried planting oranges and water melons, but I didn't get anything out of them. I guess I've got to figure out what works for the kind of soil & weather I have here.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I've never tried to plant a garden,but once with this maintenance job I had,I had to plant grass seed.I laid down all kinds of topsoil and then scattered seeds all over the soil somewhat evenly. The only problem was that people walked all over it,so it neverhad a proper chance to grow. tHe rule is,when plantinggrass seed always rope it off,or build an electrical fence around it,because otherwise it'll never have a chance to grow properly.

I have managed to put the garden in this year after 'screening' the dirt and removing eight wheelbarrows of rocks. The place we live on is on the side of a mountain in the Rockies. I know where the name comes from now. :lol:

In Missouri, we have learned that you are not really supposed to remove all the rocks. I remember seeing a cartoon years ago with a old farmer standing on the top edge of what looked like an excavation for a swimming pool talking down to a guy down in the bottom of the pit telling him he was not supposed to take out all the rocks.

I did finally manage to get the flower bed along the driveway planted. We had to take the fork lift to it to get the tiller out. But other than that we missed the very short oppertunity to get any tilling done. It rained off and on almost the whole Memorial day weekend. Now all the grass has grown back up and all we can do is mow. Yesterday we managed to mow about 3 pens and the rider quit. Have yet to figureout it's problem.
Edited by sheepdog (see edit history)

I enjoy gardening. One thing I want to plant some time are those bhut jolakia peppers. I've grown jalepenos that turned out good, so maybe hotter kinds will too but you have to order the seeds online. I'm one of those people who 'enjoy' killing their mouth with spicy foods.

I have never heard of bhut jolakia peppers. Habanero are supposed to be the hottest, but I am pretty content with Jalapeno peppers, they are plenty hot enough to happily cook my mouth. I like the cayenne too. I too am pretty bad to try to kill my mouth. Mango seeds, that's interesting. I wonder how big they get and if they can tolerate cold climates? If they can't take cold, could they be grown in big tubs and brought inside in the winter? I did get a lot of new fruit and nut trees planted this year. Probably close to 15 or so. I had to replace quite a few from that very hard late freeze we had 2 years ago. I lost several well established trees, it was a big dissapointment. Here we are well into June and I haven't even gotten over to the garden for a couple weeks. I doubt if I can even find the onions we did actually get planted by now. Hopefully my canna's will be tall enough to find.