xisto Community
jaychant

Why Won't People Just Believe The Truth?! Global Warming

I'm currently engaged in an argument with another user regarding this video, which makes a claim that humans have no effect on global warming. I'm trying to tell him that global warming is a real, serious issue and he keeps trying to tell me BS on how I'm wrong. Here are some examples:

lol..ok, did you know most of northamerica was covered with water and the carbon monoxide was at leat 10 times higher than now during history? that there were time of it being ALOT hotter? that MOST of these fluxuations coincied with sun flares? That for the hottest and highest carban years in history humans wernt even here? This is a dying world we cant effect much if we wanted too. 1 vulcano (yellowstone) is active again and would be the same as 60 nuclear weapons...

First of all, he mentioned carbon monoxide, which really has little to do with global warning. Plus he explicitly states that the hottest times were when humans weren't even here. Plus, the idiot claims that a single volcano is the same as 60 nuclear weapons, which is totally idiotic since nuclear weapons don't cause global warming at all (and in fact are more likely to cause catastrophic cooling, nuclear winter) and 60 nuclear weapons would be much more destructive to civilization than a volcano.

lol we cant even stop a storm:) but us being human and painting our houses is distroying the world? Bull. As for the Glaciers melting...of course they are! there was a time before they were here, if we GOT more glaciers now that would be bad:) The iceburgs have already displaced all the water, if they ALL melted in a min the water wouldnt rise:) relax, the world isnt ending bc you drive a car or watch tv or use your computer:) companies agree with it bc it SELLS...it about MONEY.

This is one of the most idiotic sets of words ever written. First off, no one said that it was caused by painting houses. Second, he fails to realize that while the glaciers do always melt, they are now melting MUCH faster than they can refreeze. Plus he seems to think all ice sheets are underwater, claiming that they wouldn't raise the sea level. This is where I thought it couldn't get any worse. But it did.

Of course the world is dying! The sun is dying...our universe is aging and will end one day....aLONG time from now. Carbon Dioxide was ALOT higher yrs ago...one of the reasons dinosaurse got so big:) Its you who are not exepting the "truth". You ppl are idiots who claim a THEORY that is unproved as truth...and ANY scientist who disagrees is harmed. Face it...its about money. Like every other scam youve seen.

Before he said this, I had said that the world isn't dying; the climate is changing, and the changes will negatively affect us in our lifetimes. Yet he cannot comprehend that the planet will do fine on its own without life. More importantly, though, he claims that carbon dioxide was higher years ago because the dinosaurs "got so big". He fails to realize that us digging carbon out of the ground and putting it into the atmosphere as CO2 is much worse than normal CO2 waste product created by animals. Then he really go bad; He said that "[we] are idiots who claim [that an unproved theory is truth]"; This is where I actually called him an idiot on Youtube. He doesn't understand that a theory is about as certain as science can get, and discredits global warming because it's a "theory"!

Now normally idiots like these wouldn't bother me. But global warming is a serious issue and idiots like these can be the end of all of us, because they were too stupid to believe scientists. I actually offered that he should watch "How It All Ends", a great Youtube video that explains what will happen if we do nothing about global warming. But I'm sure he didn't even peek at it.

I also found it quite offensive that he was telling me to "relax" because it's "all about money", and he found it humorous. DOES THIS IDIOT HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE MAGNITUDE OF THE THREAT OF GLOBAL WARMING IS?!?! :lol:

Edited by jaychant (see edit history)

relax buddy.. we are here to destroy earth and one day "revelation" will come upon us. and mother earth is fresh as new again.. i think its a pretty normal cycle i saw it too on some docu..

well, first, i doubt 10% of anyone you talk to will know the true definition of global warming. second, lets not worry about the earth. mother nature has it's ways and it's forcefull cycles to prevail. it's human nature that we are all trying to preserve in the long run. not earth. earth is just a means. but....who cares. what will be will be. nature always finds the answers that we are unable....even if it means wiping out the human race to save the planet.let's face it pal, we're all idiots here. how dare you give your buddy all the credit

well, first, i doubt 10% of anyone you talk to will know the true definition of global warming. second, lets not worry about the earth. mother nature has it's ways and it's forcefull cycles to prevail. it's human nature that we are all trying to preserve in the long run. not earth. earth is just a means. but....who cares. what will be will be. nature always finds the answers that we are unable....even if it means wiping out the human race to save the planet.
let's face it pal, we're all idiots here. how dare you give your buddy all the credit

Yes, mother nature has a way of handling things, but usually life still gets extinct. For example, the world didn't die 65 million years ago, but all the dinosaurs died. And the worst mass extinction in the history of the Earth (which happened right before the Mesozoic Era) didn't mean the end of the world either. We don't need to worry about saving the world. We need to worry about saving ourselves.

I took a general class in geology a while back and was taught some very interesting facts. (I havent watched the above video), but according to my teacher back then, after many thousands or millions of years the earth goes through a cycle where its magnetic field reverses (north and south switch). After this switch occurs we enter into a dramatic climate shift such as the one that saw the last Ice Age. Apparently scientists have predicted that due to the pollution we have contributed in the last 100 years or so we are increasingly drawing nearer to the next polar shift at an accelerated rate. This is recognized by the marked shift in the way the earths water tides and earthquakes have been behaving. According to the teacher, the next polar shift was suppose to occur some thousands of years from now but because of what we have done and continue to do, it may be hundreds of years. I guess all i can say is if we cant learn by crunch time, when circumstances are totally irreversible, maybe all is as it should be.....

The problem is statistics, how they are twisted, and how they are represented. No-one can deny that global temperatures have increased recently. However, there is plenty of argument over their cause. Whenever people argue about this I simply send them here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I know it is tongue-in-cheek and meant as a joke, but it is as reliable as most of the other statistics surrounding global warming. It's the theory that correlation does not imply causation. Global CO2 emissions rise, as have global temperatures. That's correlation, but prove the link. So far, no-one has proved it either way.

To a certain point, i agree with you rvalkass. There has been huge grey area and debate surrounding the causes of global warming for a while, whether its something we are causing, natural cycles or whatever. I think we'll discover a much more concrete indication within the next 30 years as to what is happening. Personally I've chosen to believe that 'we' are the main contributors to global warming, this is what my teacher lead me to believe and also after watching programs such as "An inconvenient truth" further reinforced it for me.

My friend... don't waste your time trying to convince one person.
The important thing is to spread the message through the masses. The more people hears about these effects of production and reproduction of society has on the environment, the best.
While you do that, you will find people who don't want to change their minds. If someone has interests (let's say political, economical interests) on a what causes pollution, they'll be "less likely" to agree with you, right?
For example, I think that the owner of Ford will give a *dime* for what we may tell him about climate change or acid rain... But I'm sure that someone who lives from what they plant will, or people living on shore cities... for example.

About

....That's why we should support ThePirateBay!!! xD

My friend... don't waste your time trying to convince one person.The important thing is to spread the message through the masses. The more people hears about these effects of production and reproduction of society has on the environment, the best.
While you do that, you will find people who don't want to change their minds. If someone has interests (let's say political, economical interests) on a what causes pollution, they'll be "less likely" to agree with you, right?
For example, I think that the owner of Ford will give a *dime* for what we may tell him about climate change or acid rain... But I'm sure that someone who lives from what they plant will, or people living on shore cities... for example.

About

That's why we should support ThePirateBay!!! xD

I gave up on the idiot. The last thing I said was something along the lines of "If you are wrong and Global Warming is real, you will live the rest of your life in shame". But I disagree with you: it wasn't a waste of time. The argument was under a video trying to claim that global warming is fake, so it could grab other non-believers' attention.

I guess it wasn't then. I kind of misjudged the situation, sorry about that.But we agree in the point that the important thing is to worry about public discussions, not with particular morons.