xisto Community
Ash-Bash

Favorite Os

Favorite OS  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have voted Linux. This is because it is a lot faster for me than any other Windows and also has better looks & Best of all FREE! The following OS I am using at the moment is Ubuntu which is superb! However only advance PC users that know what they are doing should use it as you or they may come in difficulties with it a lot.

I know im new here but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on something...
What is Your Favorite Operating System? and Why?

Mine is Mac because for my uses it is much more stable and better graphic editing and so much more, but how bout everyone else?

Dear friend Its Windows for me. As I am a software developer and I use Microsoft technology so my favoriate OS is windows. By the way I have also used Linux but not using it regularly. So I don't know much about it. 

I know im new here but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on something...What is Your Favorite Operating System? and Why?Mine is Mac because for my uses it is much more stable and better graphic editing and so much more, but how bout everyone else?

windows since it is used by many.. :Peach os has their own strength and weaknesses imho.. but i would love to get my hand on OSX for once.. B)xp has been stable enough for me though..

My favorite OS would be Windows, Why? Because its the easiest to understand. We all know thats mostly due to Microsoft monopolizing most of the computer industry, well at least most computers that are released come with a copy of windows already preinstalled. People who have been living with windows have a much harder time transitioning over to Linux. I've tried a few linux versions but I still haven't gotten the simplicity of it yet, I guess It would take some time but for now Windows remain as my top pick as a OS due to ease of use.

Windows may not be may favorite OS but it is certainly the most used OS for me.Linux has come along way in the last 8 or 9 years but can still require a bit of work when it comes to installing various printers and the like. One of the biggest general drawbacks for Linux, IMO, is the lack of an advanced "add and remove programs" funtion as found in Windows. This being said, I would generally place Linux somewhere between Win 3.X and 95 at this time. 

If I have to choose between linux and winblows, then i'll choose linux. My PC got freeze several times when I used Winblows. Also, i had to install lots of security apps which made my PC slower >_< BTW, I really want to try Mac once, especially OSX one. It has nice appearance, nice applications, and maybe less BSOD :lol:Now, i'm using Kubuntu now. The desktop is nice, it has lots of good apps, though it's a little bit buggy. Maybe Ubuntu developer is busy developing Ubuntu and forgot that they have to develop Kubuntu and Xubuntu ones ;p

Personally my favorite linux disto would be Wobbly NOP. This distro is a modified version of the lightweight puppy Linux OS. Wobbly NOP is a little bit less than 130 meg and features the compiz fusion 3D window manager.

There's a few bugs though, sometimes you may find your self clicking on menu icons that wont respond until after a few clicks. Also updating the OS can present difficulties, although the way it handles packages is a no brainer - you may find it installs redundant packages which are not supported anymore, such as anti virus software (at least this was the case for me).

Installation, you have the option of installing it as a file on an existing partition with windows (kind of similar to Ubuntu although not installable from within windows). There are some options you need to be careful about during installation, I think for me i made sure i wrote a new MBR.

After installation you will be presented with the OS on its first load. At some point you have to select how the grub boot loader is installed, read relevant documentation before selecting an option here.

If Wobbly NOP has been installed alongside windows, it is really important in this stage to modify a file that provides certain settings in GRUB. I had to have a few goes at figuring out what was going on because no documentation "emphasized" this important step from what i could see.

Click filesystem-mnt-home-boot-grub. Modify menu.lst to correctly point to WNOP, i believe i either added or correctly edited this entry, again look up the documentation to be sure. If you dont do the previous step, than on restart Grub will load but will "only" correctly load windows, there will probably be a menu item for wobbly but it will load blank.

Here is a link to it - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Please take care during installation and please don't hold me responsible if things wrong!