xisto Community
tinoymalayil

Why The Installation Of A New Application Is Difficult In Linux

In Windows,if we want to install an application,it is very easy.But in linux the installation of new application have some formalities...We have to use the utilities of Linux to install a single application to it.But in Windows when we doubleclick the application will open ready for installation.

Well, I won't argue that the package distribution system for linux is unnecessarily fragmented compared to windows. However, certain distributions are working to make this better.For example, if you download a .deb package to a debian/ubuntu based system, double-clicking the file will launch the installation (and it's very simple). I believe the same is true for .rpm files on Fedora.The major times you will have a problem for this is when you have to compile the program from source yourself. However, by not installing it system-wide (just put it, for example, in a directory called 'programs' under '/home/username/'), you avoid a lot of the problems like orphaned files, conflicts when a package does become available, and so on.Regards,z.

But in linux the installation of new application have some formalities...We have to use the utilities of Linux to install a single application to it.

Would you rather, like in Windows, search all over the internet just to obtain one simple program than just search in this one, small utility for a similarly functioning program? I'll agree that source-based distros and maintaining your own set-up is annoying and time consuming, but binary-based distros take care of all of that. But, at the same time, compiling from source and manually maintaining your own system teaches you a lot of things. And this knowledge decreases the amount of instances of someone asking for help on a matter. So, in a sense, you can say this method allows for independence.

Would you rather, like in Windows, search all over the internet just to obtain one simple program than just search in this one, small utility for a similarly functioning program? I'll agree that source-based distros and maintaining your own set-up is annoying and time consuming, but binary-based distros take care of all of that. But, at the same time, compiling from source and manually maintaining your own system teaches you a lot of things. And this knowledge decreases the amount of instances of someone asking for help on a matter. So, in a sense, you can say this method allows for independence.

Its also good to point out that compiling from source will get you a binary that is more tuned to your configuration.

In Windows,if we want to install an application,it is very easy.

Process to install an application in Windows:

Drive down to a shop, using up your time and you cash in petrol.

Scour the shelves for the right application, often accompanied by a pushy sales guy.

Buy the application, forking over your hard earned cash for the software.

Drive home.

Disable antivirus software and close all background programs, as required for all installations.

Insert CD into computer.

Say "Yes" to the UAC dialog.

Click "Next" half a dozen times, agreeing to all sorts of restrictive EULAs, monitoring systems, licensing, etc.

Click "Finish" (inserting more disks as appropriate throughout the installation).

Wait for your computer to restart.

Re-enable your necessary antivirus software.

Register the application online.

Download updates for the application.

Done in only 13 easy steps!

Total time taken: roughly 4 hours.

Total cost: Anything from Ł1 to Ł3000.

But in linux the installation of new application have some formalities...

The same process for Linux

Open Adept/Synaptic.

Search for the application's name, its function or a related word, or pick a category.

Select the application from a list.

Click "Install".

Done in 4 steps!

Total time taken: 5 minutes (longer for larger applications, depending on download speed).

Total cost: nil.

Yeah, I can see why people really prefer the Windows way of doing that... :P

yup................ i also think so ................because installing any app. in ubuntu i first have to ask the ubuntu forums then try it...........but in xp i can do on my own.................

"Formalities"?! You open terminal and type sudo apt-get *softwarename*, then enter password?I can understand how hard that is... Even using the repository is easier than windows process.And AlokNsh, why you ask about the software in ubuntu forums? Every program in the repository is safe and tested!

:P Oh, come on, you have to be fair. B) It's not safe to assume Vista, for the topic starter didn't specify, therefore leaving open any version of Windows, also since it is safer to assume that Windows is already installed; nor is it safe to assume that the user already has Linux installed—due to Linux's low market share for desktops. But the topic isn't about installing the operating system, the topic already assumes that both operating systems are already installed for use.

What should be noted, though, is that Windows users are most likely to be convicted of piracy.

Process to install an application in Windows:

Drive down to a shop, using up your time and you cash in petrol.

Scour the shelves for the right application, often accompanied by a pushy sales guy.

Buy the application, forking over your hard earned cash for the software.

Drive home.

Disable antivirus software and close all background programs, as required for all installations.

Insert CD into computer.

Say "Yes" to the UAC dialog.

Click "Next" half a dozen times, agreeing to all sorts of restrictive EULAs, monitoring systems, licensing, etc.

Click "Finish" (inserting more disks as appropriate throughout the installation).

Wait for your computer to restart.

Re-enable your necessary antivirus software.

Register the application online.

Download updates for the application.

Done in only 13 easy steps!

Total time taken: roughly 4 hours.

Total cost: Anything from Ł1 to Ł3000.

Open Adept/Synaptic.

Search for the application's name, its function or a related word, or pick a category.

Select the application from a list.

Click "Install".

Done in 4 steps!

Total time taken: 5 minutes (longer for larger applications, depending on download speed).

Total cost: nil.

Yeah, I can see why people really prefer the Windows way of doing that... :P

That was a perfectly good explanation. B)

I can see how sometimes downloading a program from the Internet for Linux can be a pain in the butt... and all of us that have been through the "What the heck is make?" route can attest to that. And then there is the command line, which a trained monkey can do, but in this world of convenience and laziness on the end-user, the idea of typing in a command line can be preposterously excessive. B) You can either go through a ton of prompts with Windows but having the ease of clicking through the EULA and terms and conditions that we never read, or go through the CLI, or find out that finding and installing programs using Add/Remove in Ubuntu is pretty darn easy.

In Windows,if we want to install an application,it is very easy.But in linux the installation of new application have some formalities...We have to use the utilities of Linux to install a single application to it.But in Windows when we doubleclick the application will open ready for installation.

Hi!

I do not really know why you made this assumption, but I'm guessing you aren't aware of the package managers in Linux. You don't have to compile everything from the source code, if that's what you are implying. Even if you do want to compile the software from the source code, the steps are pretty standard, thanks to 'Makefiles' (a kind of a script to compile source code or to uninstall software).

Installing software on Linux is as simple as the one-click installation provided on the iPhone via the AppStore - the only difference being that the whole process is free! If you're running Ubuntu, use the Synaptic Package Manager.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy