xisto Community
cyber_electrons

Recommendation(s) For A New Cpu

I can't really decide on which to buy. Such as there are many CPUs of Quad core. I am not a spendthrift but I look for affordable and worth - for example GHz / price is the highest. I am aiming for a quad core. The i7 is slightly too extreme for my uses.My uses:Play games (of course) - can play some good CPU intensive games, quicker calculations of physics intensive games, less lag.Compile videos and possibly games - takes quite a long time to compile videos and I hope to shorten it, converting videos etc.General workThese are my main uses. If I did not give enough information to make a choice then put it in the comments and I add.Much appreciated if you can help. Looking forward to a new CPU.

Based on no particular authority, or advice, but simply other people's experiences and the reviews online I'd recommend looking at the Intel Core2Quad Q6600. It's getting quite old considering the number of CPUs that have been released since, but it overclocks incredibly well and will give you a lot of GHz for your cash. Just make sure you get a decent cooler, especially if you overclock it.If the Q6600 is a bit expensive then take a look at the E7300. It's cheaper and amazing when overclocked (quite a few people manage to get it up to at least 4GHz). Of course, you will have to take the hit from quad core to dual core, but a lot of applications don't actually take advantage of four cores.

If I did not give enough information to make a choice then put it in the comments and I add.

A new CPU may or may not imply a new motherboard. Unless you're willing to change the motherboard along with the CPU, then requesting for us to name you whatever processor would be suitable for gaming and video editing shouldn't be favorable. If you're not willing to dish out extra resources for a new motherboard (and perhaps anything else that the old parts wouldn't be compatible with the new motherboard), then you'll have to provide us with all the processor types your motherboard is suitable for. That is, INTEL or AMD? What socket? Et cetera... But if you don't mind wasting a little more, then we can start naming processors at random. :D

Thankyou for your responses. I know that not a lot of programsuse the avantage of 4 cores but I am still more than happy to use an easy-to-overclock dual core or a effective overclocking dual core. My friends have also informed me about this.

And as for the motherboard problem, I will find a motherboard or be recommended a motherboard based on the CPU as I think most of the performance will base on the CPU. Motherboard will be chosen according to what CPU I intend to get.

But for the sake of saving, my motherboard is GA 965 DS3 probably revision 1.0. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I will be more than happy to take a high performance dual core if it is more practical. Forgot to mention, practicality (for me) comes first for now.

Oh, I also need recommendation for a new graphics card as my graphics card is currently unable to handle my load.

Thanks for responding and information!

It appears that you can have quite a selection available to you.

Notice that this link gives a list of all the CPU's available that fit the Mother Board you currently have.

http://www.gigabyte.tw/Support/Motherb=2314%23anchor_os

However, be sure to check on the right hand column to ensure the CPU is not "n/a" (not available). It looks like the limiting factor is the FSB speed max at 1066. There are not faster FSB's available for that board. Looks like you can not go to a 45nm CPU either. But the 65nm CPU'S with a 1066 FSB should be plenty quick.

There is also a memory selection page that supplies a PDF for the memory sets that they have checked out as working with that combination and the best is 1 Gig cards at DDR2 - 800, which would be fairly good.

I think you should go for Q6600. Since your motherboard can support a maximum of 1066 FSB and Q6600 has good options for overclocking and New games do take advantage of multiple cores.Also, since I am using a Q6600, I think you won't really need to overclock. Most of the games run fine without overclocking.I am also looking for a new graphics card. right now I have a XFX 8600 GT (512) but its not giving me that great performance. It works fine for most of the games though.I was considering Radeon 4870 or 4850. Try reading the reviews.Hope this helps.

Hmm, talking about the 65mm and 45 mm CPUs, my friend convinced me that 45 mm will save a noticible amount of energy compared to the 65mm. Although I agree that the electrons need to travel less distance in the processor but I still think that the difference is still relatively small. I will revise your recommendations, thankyou.

I recommend getting a new i7 Extreme for about $2500AUD. This is only good for pro users of computers. But this will last you next 6-8 years, no doubt. I know its sorta stupid when you can pay $2500 for a computer that can play Crysis. But if you have to money its well worth it.

Hi,If you are an over-clocker (which I highly doubt, since you are asking for an suggestion), you may want to buy a Intel Core 2 Duo E2180. This CPU can be overclocked and can preform as good as E8300, which is a real bargain. The down side to this, though, is that you would require special heatsink, powerful motherboard to do so.If not, I recommand Intel E8300 CPU, Powerful CPU. Though, it all depend on your budget, ofcourse, if you are wealthy, you could go with Core i7. But if you cannot fully use the CPU, then it is virutally no need for such high-level CPU, for my opinion, Core i7 is overpriced.Obviously, you would need to look at other sources to see which CPU is most suitable for you personally.-KC.

Back again.I was doing some research found out that, If your a gamer get the Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz instead of any other duo core or quad core, reason is that the Two Core processor splits power evenly for maximum gaming performance. But the Quad Cores don't. Quad cores are for people into Game creation, mapping or video production.Hope this helps. :)