xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Internet Explorer 8 The Last Browser Rumors?

In a interesting twist into the browser wars it would seem that there are rumors going around about the longevity of Microsoft's most infamous browser. That rumor it seems is that Internet Explorer 8 is the last browser in the IE family and that Microsoft is working on a new browser engine as we speak, codename "Gazelle" which will supposedly be more secured then Firefox and Chrome. Granted that Microsoft has made huge improvements on Internet Explorer 8 in terms of standards, but it would seem a taf late to even designing a new engine for your browser. They should have been designing a new engine since Internet Explorer 7 to coincide with the fact they are making the browser standards compliant and that way not only would it be the better browser in the IE family, but it would be the best browser overall in the IE family.

However, the only downfall to this new browser engine is ActiveX and we all know that back in the day that is how most of the attacks are carried out, heck I still think hackers try for the ActiveX hack to get into a person's computer. On top of that. there is the ever popular issue on HTML/CSS and how IE interpret the code, we all know IE7 blew this big time and that IE8 is making up for that mistake. Since IE6 there have been hundreds if not thousands of different tweaks out there to make Internet Explorer display a website like it should while the other browsers got it right the first time.

Just like the rumors of Windows finally getting shut down, back last year will Internet Explorer join its big brother in the computer graveyard in the sky or will Microsoft just simply improve it with some new looks and some new gadgets? who knows, maybe.

SOURCE

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Internet explorer will be dominant because of Windows because it is so mixed into the operating System itself. I wonder what will be the new name of IE. :D

That'll be a good news if Microsoft wants to develop a more secure and faster browser and includes it in its future OSs. As OpaQue said, IE is famous and still the major browser because it is inbuilt in Windows. If Microsoft ships its new browser with its future Operating systems then that browser(may be Gazelle) will become the biggest browser soon... :DMay be Microsoft wants to change the name of IE due to the bad reputation it got for security. If Microsoft names the new browser as Internet Explorer 9 or something like that most people consider it just as another version of IE and ignores it even it is secure and faster. So, in my opinion changing its name will be a good idea for marketing reasons. :D

May be Microsoft wants to change the name of IE due to the bad reputation it got for security. If Microsoft names the new browser as Internet Explorer 9 or something like that most people consider it just as another version of IE and ignores it even it is secure and faster. So, in my opinion changing its name will be a good idea for marketing reasons. :D

The instant I read that, I was thinking "Windows 7 == Vista Ultimate." :D

It doesn't matter what they change it to. I'm glad that they're actually improving on things with Gazelle, but with the fact that ActiveX is STILL a security concern and the fact that this new Microsoft browser is going to implement it, it's going to be a hard sell to people that already use Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome, or some other browser. Maybe they'll reduce exploits or increase security measures and impose restrictions on ActiveX. Who knows?

The market share is still dominant by around 60+% with Internet Explorer, but that number is gradually diminishing. I'm waiting to see when companies will ditch their deals with Microsoft and stop making ActiveX applications in favor of appealing to a growing audience.

Browser more secure than firefox and chrome ? First of all i wont agree that firefox and Chrome are safer, in particular firefox and chrome claims that there is no phishing if we use their browser , but who said so ? Phishing has proved that they are in existence even today . So there cannot be a statement saying "Firefox and Chrome are Safer browsers " No they are not .

Phishing still exist and openDNS announced it openly on feb-2009 , https://www.opendns.com/about/press-releases/opendns-announces-february-2009-phishtank-findings-paypal-again-most-spoofed-brand/

You guys should try out google chrome, Recently research's have done a browser speed test of all the popular web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera IE 7, Safari)There was a graph I found but Can't find it so I will just tell you the results.Here are the results:1st. Safari2nd. Chrome3rd. Opera4th Firefox5th IE.It seems that Firefox as gone down last year it was faster than Opera :D

You guys should try out google chrome, Recently research's have done a browser speed test of all the popular web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera IE 7, Safari)There was a graph I found but Can't find it so I will just tell you the results.
Here are the results:

1st. Safari

2nd. Chrome

3rd. Opera

4th Firefox

5th IE.

It seems that Firefox as gone down last year it was faster than Opera ohmy.gif

to me Firefox is best. Its got a good ecosystem of plugins plus is compliant with many technologies.

Google lost it by starting Chrome. Was expecting them to team up with FF and fight IE.

However,its good for the web overally. IE8 or gazelle....doesn't really matter the name, its a positive step if they are edting and improving on their previous work but they are miles behind FF!

Well we know there is hope in the world... Sadly I read that the browser acts as an operating system because it runs on its own Kernel (Gazelle). I found a good article which had an attached PDF here. I think that Internet Explorer will never be completely dead, but we can always hope :D... Another thing about the Gazelle is the fact that it has a faster start up than IE7, definitely a plus :D .