xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Who Is God just who or what is God to you?

This is something that people have thought about and wondered for years. Just who is God. Is God a Man or a Woman. if man was created in the likeness of God would God be a man and a woman? Myself I belive in a higher Power. not a God in general. But someone or something that created Earth and Humans. So if God did Create the human race, and it is so that we are created in God's image. Is God a Man or a woman?

God is an imaginary immortal being created by human beings. It is this God through which the humans feel a sense of protection when there is insecurity around and fear when they do wrong things.

I have to say I have the same feeling than pasten, I think that God is someone that everyone goes to when they have a big problem, feel very bad, or really need something. As I said in another post that could easily go here, I've thought a while about this and since history has proven so many times that the ones we have thought of weren't more than created, I'm not bound to believe there is someone that I can't even be sure by even a little chance. I can say "Oh my god" or "it is a miracle" but anyway I'm still thinking the same.Something that also has a relation with this (and I'm sorry if you think this wouldn't go here Echo, but since you mentioned the creation of Earth and humans...) and I've also thought of is what really happened that made the universe exist? Because we are even talking of the Earth here, but if you stop to think it, it's like if we were living a in black box, we aren't sure of its limits as we aren't sure how or what really created us. Sometimes when I get to think that it gives me the creeps and I really have to stop it :D

Well, for me God is something I don't understand, something which is higher than me.In some form, God can be called the most powerful "thing" in our universe with the biggest knowledge possible, for us he would be God, but if we accept him or not, it's our choice.

To me, God is a higher being than myself, who is perfect in every possible way. I believe strongly that he really exists.Take science for example. Let's assume that we did evolve from this "primordial ooze." How did it spring life anyways? How do all beings constantly change, although sometimes over millions of years?Science can explain a lot of things, even how stuff works, but that still doesn't explain how it all came to be in the first place.Even the big bang theory. It lacks an explanation of *how* the huge space rocks came into existance in the beginning!So to me, there is enough proof to believe in a higher being, whether you want to call him God or something else.

There are two kinds of gods: God and gods. Whenever the big "G" is present that relates to the one and only, that no other being is greater than. I believe that this God is the Abrahamic God, which would mean it's a He, as mentioned in Scripture. Concerning being made in His image, i feel Genesis 9:6 provides insight on what it truly means. The verse seems to be implying something beyond physical appearance, like a position on a natural hierarchy, a form of greatness concerning everything else in existence.I may not be able to fully understand God, but we don't even fully understand this universe, though that obviously exists; so it cannot be said that ignorance and lack of understanding is proof of non-existence. It is true that the Abrahamic God is sought out for comfort many times, but people seek out money for comfort, children seek out their blankets for comfort by hiding under it, et cetera, but these objects obviously exist; so it cannot be said that comfort is proof of non-existence.Some people say that God is merely the energy that exists all around us. However, that would mean when you cut down a tree, you cut down your god (since matter is said to be condensed energy). That would mean something is obviously greater than this god, like time itself, so the big "G" cannot be used to relate to this lower thing, especially since energy itself doesn't even have a conscious. Anything that lacks a conscious cannot act except through outside intervention; if it can't act on its own, it can't form anything into existence except through outside intervention. Even if energy is said to be neither created nor destroyed, it does not mean that God didn't cause energy into existence and gave it the properties we observe it to have today. I feel, due to the properties of energy, that energy is a big case for the existence of God or a higher, conscious being.

I may not be able to fully understand God, but we don't even fully understand this universe, though that obviously exists; so it cannot be said that ignorance and lack of understanding is proof of non-existence. It is true that the Abrahamic God is sought out for comfort many times, but people seek out money for comfort, children seek out their blankets for comfort by hiding under it, et cetera, but these objects obviously exist; so it cannot be said that comfort is proof of non-existence.

You hit the nail right on the head there.

I may not be able to fully understand God, but we don't even fully understand this universe

Nobody understand it. they say or think they understand it but they really don't. They only have a theroy of it. they do not know how things really work. I mean look back in history. Take Darwin. He thought that we came from apes. But even today are we 100% sure he was right? no we really are not we are close but not at 100%. Man will never be 100%. Just as we are not sure of what God really is. Just as in all these posts so far. everyone has there own thoughts and feelings. And I know this is not the spot to add this but I am anyways. This is what I love of Xisto. Everyone here has his or her own feelings from God to Microsoft. Maybe Bill Gates is god? :D

Um... I am not sure God is Man or Woman, For every creation there must be male and female (By scientists). But we believe God in only one in the world. In my view, there is a God, Most people don't believe in God when they are young, But every people believe gods when they have some bad accidents. There's not any evidence related to God, even people believe in Gods.

You hit the nail right on the head there. Nobody understand it. they say or think they understand it but they really don't. They only have a theroy of it. they do not know how things really work. I mean look back in history. Take Darwin. He thought that we came from apes. But even today are we 100% sure he was right? no we really are not we are close but not at 100%. Man will never be 100%. Just as we are not sure of what God really is. Just as in all these posts so far. everyone has there own thoughts and feelings. And I know this is not the spot to add this but I am anyways. This is what I love of Xisto. Everyone here has his or her own feelings from God to Microsoft. Maybe Bill Gates is god? :D

I agree with you. And in terms of the apes...Even if we *did* come from apes, there is no telling how it happened. To me there has to have been a god(God). Without him(Yes, I call it a he...It's just that out of all the videos, text, movies, etc. I have seen God is almost always portrayed as a male), nothing could work as it is.

So for me, I couldn't care less where we came from, or how we got here. I believe that whatever happened was because God made it so.

Even when it comes to inventions I believe God(if nothing else, a higher power) helped the person make their idea a reality. Look at the lightbulb for instance. 5000+ tries and still did not get it to work. And then while sleeping Edison saw tungsten and when he woke up it worked. There was *something* that caused that dream to come up. You don't just think of a solution for no reason, especially when it is way off the wall like that.

God is infinity in all dimensions. To me, God is the force that relates to me and only me and is also guiding force in my willful actions. It goes beyond my thoughts and he takes care of me while I sleep. I see his force in the people I love the most and the more I try to understand God, the more I find myself puzzled. Talking in larger scale, he is the Generator Operator Destroyer and I feel he is the sole cause of everything planet Earth has seen.

I think God is an inter-dimensional being without gender and without physical appearance, thus nor male nor female. I believe our minds aren't and won't be able to figure out God in the next 100 years and when they eventually figure out his being, everyone will be blown away by that discovery :DI know one thing for sure. The French wouldn't have a way to call it because 3rd person doesn't exist in their grammar and they will make a civil war in which both of the sides will lose, as always. Waay too offtopic I know... :P :DEither ways, still fun to get the hold of how people imagine it.

You hit the nail right on the head there. Nobody understand it. they say or think they understand it but they really don't. They only have a theroy of it. they do not know how things really work. I mean look back in history. Take Darwin. He thought that we came from apes. But even today are we 100% sure he was right? no we really are not we are close but not at 100%. Man will never be 100%. Just as we are not sure of what God really is. Just as in all these posts so far. everyone has there own thoughts and feelings. And I know this is not the spot to add this but I am anyways. This is what I love of Xisto. Everyone here has his or her own feelings from God to Microsoft. Maybe Bill Gates is god? :D

But if you study biology you will see the evolution of different species as well as the humankind could have been. As well you can take how the concept 'God' failed through the history once and once again. That's what keeps me convinced that this could be fairly as well another 'fail'. But, if you can believe in a theory, you could also believe in God, right? Well, I think that I just don't believe in God.

Note this post isn't intending to insult people with different beliefs.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'inter-dimensional being'; but God, ie: a single deity would be able to control these various dimensions. He'd live in a 'control', or as the Christian bible, and many other religions-- Heaven. It is possible to have many dimensions within that control area.

God is indeed a spirit. The bible states that he has no beginning, nor end. As humans, it's hard to wrap out minds around this. Everything alive has to have a beginning-- it's logical, but a God would be quite different. He'd simply exist. There is some theories that he (god) is time, this pushing time to not an idea (ie. element), but a spirit. Now, as far as 'gender'. This is debatable, really. It could be said that all spirits have a gender. The Koran speaks of the Djinn (Or Genie), who are basically free-roaming spirits with various powers. They have a gender, and many have relationships with others from their species. This fact also can stir up an interesting debate as to whether God is just one spirit, or a combination of many (as in the case of the Koran's 'Djinn') We may never know until we die.

Please note that the above was opinion-based and does not support ant scientific fact because the bible could be thought of as an incredible source. If you think of it as fact, then disregard this. I'm just trying to respect everyone's views here.

I try to keep my mind open here. I've been to several places where an evangelist is speaking, and some people in the crowd who are blind, or cannot walk suddenly get up and are healed. This has happened to even my own family members. People who despise the idea of religion, or a God, so I know fully well that it was not 'set up' these are people who'd rather wear 666 on their neck than a cross.

Now I'm not one for religion, but I do believe in a being who created everything. But to question him, or if he's male of female, or whatever is completely beyond our reach. We cannot understand him and his ways until we have passed from this mortal planet.

For me there are a couple possible solutions to understanding "God". This is how i could sum it up...Based on research of many holy books and prehistoric writings/carvings/etc, it appears to me, that "God" is merely a human looking person from another place, perhaps from the place that all humans originate...This person or persons could have brought us here or "created" us by modifying ancient apes...who knows...

I believe God is consciousness.

We can study matter and go all the way down to quarks or up to meta-galaxies, and come up with theories about how all that works, but at the end there are a few questions that we have no clue how to even start to study:

Why do we have a conscious experience? I mean the brain is a great device, but how come I am having this subjective experience? A subjective experience does not seem necessary for us to operate as successfully evolving Darwinian creatures.

What is that energy that is keeping the quarks and other subatomic particles in their current form? It is all energy at the bottom. There is no matter. Max Plank (April 23, 1858 – October 4, 1947), Physics Novel Price, clearly said it: There is no matter.

What is this universe? "Where" is it? Why does it exist? Where is there something, rather than nothing?

I think God is at the root of all this. I am not referring to a god with a white beard, but a conscious energy or spirit.

I used to believe, like pasten, that God was simply created by men for comfort:

God is an imaginary immortal being created by human beings. It is this God through which the humans feel a sense of protection when there is insecurity around and fear when they do wrong things.

But I do believe, these days, that "God" is behind my conscious experience, behind the quarks, behind the universe. Just to clarify, and respond to pasten, this believe does not give me any comfort or sense of security as a creature as my body will die anyway, and there will be no "me" anymore after that, but it does make my life a whole lot more interesting.

Also, this "God" I believe in is not someone with a personality. It is more like a conscious pervasive energy field that actually gives rise to all matter and consciousness. So I think we are conscious because we are immersed in this "God" energy field, or more accurately, all matter is sustained and continuously created by this conscious energy.

You do not need to believe or not believe this, trying to use rational thinking to choose the "optimal" belief system. It is actually possible test and experience the existence of this energy field. If you think this is silly. let me ask you a question. Do you love your child (or father, or spouse, or sibling) ? Yes? Can you demonstrate it? Yet, you know it is true. You know it with more certainty than you know that the earth is round.

Edited by freenrg (see edit history)