xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

monitor not working with new dell computer Dell Computer Problems Need Help.

monitor not working with new dell computerDell Computer Problems Need Help.

I've just got a new dell studio desktop and assumed I could use my old monitor with it, but I'm just getting a message saying there's no input signal. Everything is connected correctly, I'm now worried that they're not compatible. The monitor should be set at 1440 x 900. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Katherine

I was just about to say about your Graphic's card if it is internal then it most likely wouldn'tBut if you put it in your self make sure that it is pushed in! Make sure all the drivers are installed then check your BIOS settings and make sure it is set to PCI or what ever slot you have it in :D.

Depending on the specification of the PC, it could have two completely separate monitor connections. One will be connected to the motherboard's on-board graphics chip, and the other will be on a dedicated graphics card. Make sure you connect the monitor to the one on the graphics card, rather than the one on the motherboard.If you're sure it's connected correctly, do you have another monitor you can try with the PC? That would at least allow you to narrow it down to whether it is the PC or the monitor at fault.

Since its a branded computer and not an assembled one, there's less chance of any hardware misconfiguration. Try connecting the VGA cable the other way. If this does not solve the problem then VGA cable might be defective.?

What type of connection does the monitor use to connect to the computer with? Perhaps your graphics card isn't powerful enough to drive it.

To me that sounds as it could be your problem. or the pins may not be matching up with the newer PC. Honestly your best bet would be one of 2 things.

1 try another monitor.

2 Contact tell. Just dont let them bumfuzzle you into buying a new monitor as they will try and do.

Since its a branded computer and not an assembled one, there's less chance of any hardware misconfiguration. Try connecting the VGA cable the other way. If this does not solve the problem then VGA cable might be defective.?

We don't know what kind of connection the monitor is using. It could be DVI, or something else. VGA is pretty much basic component analog but once you get into the realm of digital, things start to get a little weird.

well you computer may be the problem or it may be your moniter. sometimes the moniter screen breaks and lets out electrons that makes a spark and that could really casue injury to you or other. if u try it with a different screen and still nothing then u have to check your graphic card..maybe you deleted one of you drivers...you should have a cd for the driver and video card but if u dont you can simply download it from the net..search for you video card, download it and install, i hope this helps